• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Drinking after bypass

Perissa

No not alcohol!!!

Since drinking on average 5 litres a day when I was on Lighterlife I still drink at least 2 litres a day - actually more like 3. I kept up the drinking mainly because I stopped having headaches. Stupid me who used to drink maybe half a litre day was chronicly dehydrated - not any more!

How will I cope drinking that amount, surely my new tummy won't let me? I've read that you should not drink half and hour before and after eating - this is going to be quite hard for me as I always drink at least a pint with my meals.

No not alcohol!!!

Since drinking on average 5 litres a day when I was on Lighterlife I still drink at least 2 litres a day - actually more like 3. I kept up the drinking mainly because I stopped having headaches. Stupid me who used to drink maybe half a litre day was chronicly dehydrated - not any more!

How will I cope drinking that amount, surely my new tummy won't let me? I've read that you should not drink half and hour before and after eating - this is going to be quite hard for me as I always drink at least a pint with my meals.

Fluid will just run straight through your new stomach and out the other end, so you wont have any problems drinking. you can drink before you eat as again it will run straight through, but once you've eaten the idea is to kep that food in your small stomach as long as possible as this keep the full feeling, if you drink and eat at the same time you may turn the food in there to mush and it will full though, this defeats the objective of the small stomach, and you'll tend to eat more, or be able to fit more in. This is in the 'ideal world' and as you know it cant always be done, especially when your out !

sorry to be graphic, but as you said the wee comes straight out, does that mean every time you have a small drink you have to go straight for a wee and not be able to hold it in your bladder ?

Hi, no your fluid intake stills need to travel down your remaining intestines and then through your kidneys for filtiring out the rubbish! it is absorb at the same rate as before your bypass, so no weeing staight away !
Yes at first you will find it difficult to mantain the amount of fluid intake that you are used to but this soon improves.

you wont be able to drink with meals for a while but it will adjust and then you can, i never heard of it going straight out hun, take care xxx

This is what I am having problems with - fluid intake! Only managing about a litre (on a good day!) It is 'b' trying to fit everything in ... but jelly is a great help I am finding, ha!

Gutted it's not alcohol!!! only kidding.

You can still drink fluid but i can't manage large quantities or fizzy juice. I also can't drink when i am eating as it bloats me and makes me feel sick.

I don't drink anywhere as much as i used to in a day but have enough so that i am not dehydrated. You will soon figure out what works for you xx

Back