• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Water after snacks

This is a silly question....

I always leave at least 30 minutes after my meals before I drink anything and also try to leave at least 15 minutes before eating.

With it being warmer at the moment, I'm drinking more and more water. What I wondered is, would it be 'criminal' to have sips of water after I've had a snack? I usually have 3 meals and two small snacks a day (as per instructions from my dietitian).

xx

Glad it's not only me then Mixxy!

I believe it's so the water doesn't 'wash' the food out of the stomach. I'm not hungry and only eating the snacks for nutritional value and to keep up my energy levels.

Maybe I'll send an email to my dietitian xx

Glad it's not only me then Mixxy!

I believe it's so the water doesn't 'wash' the food out of the stomach. I'm not hungry and only eating the snacks for nutritional value and to keep up my energy levels.

Maybe I'll send an email to my dietitian xx

This reason makes sense to me but my team told me the reason was because of space, that there is not space for food and water at the same time. So I am as confused as mixxy.

I will be asking my dietician about drinking and snacks but she is on her jollys for a fortnight so I look forward to some responses in the mean time. I'm still on pureed anyway.
x

This is a problem I'm also experiencing and don't think I'm getting enough fluids as a result, especially in this hot weather. I wake up feeling extremely dehydrated, skin dry & small quantity of dark urine. Can't be good for the kidneys either!

Would be good to find out for sure. Might email the bariatric nurse to find out, unless anyone else here knows?

I've just sent off an email to Jo at Charing X to ask her. I'm not expecting a quick response though as Friday is clinic day, so I would imagine she'll be super busy.

Will let you know her reply when I get it xx

Eating and drinking at the same time has never bothered me, i leave 30 mins before and after eating before having a drink, i thought it was a space issue but mostly that it will mix up with your food and make it sloppy thus passing through the pouch much quicker.....

Will be interesting to hear the response xx

This is the reply that I got from Jo:

I appreciate that in this warm weather you do need to drink more. The advice for not eating and drinking at the same time is to ensure you don’t feel too bloated and uncomfortable after eating. I would imagine that you wouldn’t need to wait 30 minutes after a small snack – perhaps wait 15 minutes and if okay you could try after 10 minutes the next time. Let your body be the guide!

I was told by the dietician this week that it is so food doesn't get washed through into the intestines too quickly, which would result in feeling hungry again more quickly. Thinking on the answers, I can see the merit in the pouch-stretching reason too. This is another area where we have all been told something slightly different, but I think the advice of: 'let your body be the guide' is probably very sound!

I've also sent an email off. I really need to speak to someone about 'Sports Nutrition' now too! I just can't go that long either side of energy bars.

That's my son's area of expertise. If there's anything you want to know I can always ask him for you. Otherwise there should be somebody at your local gym/leisure centre who could offer advice.

I have to say I have never stuck to this rule 100%, having felt the effects of dehydration, I don't want to go there again. So I just drink when I am thirsty, and if that is with a meal, so be it.

The reason they say it is because dry food stays in the pouch longer, so it takes MUCH longer to get through the stoma and we don't want to eat again for ages. If you drink with meals (or soon before/after meals) that water mixes with your food and turns it into soup which goes through much quicker.

So do as I say not as I do!!

Rx

This is the reply that I got from Jo:

I appreciate that in this warm weather you do need to drink more. The advice for not eating and drinking at the same time is to ensure you don’t feel too bloated and uncomfortable after eating. I would imagine that you wouldn’t need to wait 30 minutes after a small snack – perhaps wait 15 minutes and if okay you could try after 10 minutes the next time. Let your body be the guide!

Thanks for posting this reply from Jo, it is really hepful. I think jo is one of those dietiticans that live in the real world and her common sense approach is wonderful.

Good thread!

Back