• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Driving after by-pass surgery

gingernutter

How long before you got back into the driving seat? What is the recommended time?

I have been told that if I had an accident that my insurance would be invalid if I failed to report my surgery to my insurance as a period of 6 weeks is recommend after this major surgery?

can anyone confirm any of this?

I was driving after a couple of weeks but only about 4 miles to my house from my parents. But in all fairness that was a little uncomfy after a bit.

It wasn't until my first visit 4 weeks after the surgery did I drive any distance as I wanted to make sure everything was OK before I went too far away from the experts!

Ammori said it was two weeks for me, one per hour of surgery

My insurance said it was up to my consultant, and my consultant said 2 weeks. That was for lap bypass, may be longer for open? Depends on your insurance company though.

I was also told two weeks.

I've not had weight loss surgery but I do know that insurance companies are very strict if you have an accident and have had recent surgery. I'd abide by their rules if you are feeling nervous.

Open bypass 6 weeks - internal wounds take time to heal and you don't want to damage yourself. Crucial to check with insurance company - they hold the key especially if you cause and accident and haven't declared the surgery. You may not be covered. x x

i was told two week im open bypass markyv had op same time as me an he said he was back at work and he drives a cab

I was told 2 weeks at my initial meeting with the bariatric nurse. However, I do know that some insurance companies will only cover you once you have had your follow up appointment with your doctor or consultant, regardless of what you are told in the hospital. It might be worth phoning up and checking, as your insurance will be null and void if anything should happen. On top of that you run the risk of being prosecuted for driving without an insurance.

Well Karlos what a nice supportive person to copy and yes thats a tenner you owe me lol x

Ha Ha Ha Let me have your email address and I'll Paypal it over ;) love ya xxx

Back