• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dumping remedy

clar01

I'm 11 months post bypass, have lost 9 stone and couldn't be happier. I can tolerate most foods, can't eat large meals and try to eat a balanced diet, but every now and then when I slip off track I dump really badly. It's not just the obvious stuff, and sometime I dump on things that are normally fine.
It's the sweaty, nausea feeling and the only remedy is lying down for nearly an hour, sometimes it's so bad I have to sleep.
The worse was a pasta salad the other day, today was a very small bacon cob.
Does anyone have any remedies which might help the nausea/sicky feeling?

Sleeping, and learning your limits and sticking to them I'm afraid.

Sleeping, and learning your limits and sticking to them I'm afraid.

I defiantly agree with yvessa. I know now when I've had too much an start to get a little headache, it's time to stop. If I carried on I'd be in bed or on the toilet for a couple of hours. Its took me till now to learn the signs an im 14 weeks out.

For me I can taste now when its too sweet, although every so often something will catch me out when I least expect it. Like a teaspoon of honey in greek yoghurt!

I've dumped recently from 4 strawberries an on another occasion 5 raspberries. Before I had the op I thought its was just going to be cakes/chocolate & sweets that would make me dump an not fruit.

My dumping starts with visual disturbance as a rule then the sweats and trembling I usually make myself a slice of toast and cupp a tea. I think sometimes what happens is food that caused it goes through our system so fast it leaves our body in a state of shock after the tea n toast I tend to feel much better, takes around half an hour if I tackle it in the early stages. xx

I have IBS and the dumping stories sound very much like my IBS... really bad thumping headaches that are not relieved with paracetamol.. followed an hour later with stomach cramps, sweating, and a long sit on the loo... followed by a lie down due to overwhelming weakness.

Beegee.....

When I have IBS issues, they are a walk in the park compared with dumping which is truly truly horrible in a very short space of time.

MY Doctor said you will only dump once, silly man i still dump, will i ever learn? or am i stupid

you aren't stupid - it takes years to get into these bad habits, can't expect to break them in a matter of weeks ... you will learn, and decide what you are and are not willing to tolerate! best of luck xxx

Not stupid...but sometimes it catches us offguard. Like when we forget to check the label, or we think it'll be fine, we've had it before and then randomly it isn't.

I really wish I dumped!

You really don't. I dumped at work with no warning and it was just awful, I had to lie down across two chairs in a meeting room till it passed for 1 hour as I couldn't get home. When it's happened at home it doesn't seem so bad as you can lay on the soda or in bed but at work it seemed 100 times worse. Thankfully the HR department are fully aware of my op and did some research into life post op so they were very understanding.

Must admit I'm terrified at the thought of dumping, especially if not at home!

Back