• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dumping (what a horrid word)

belbouteloup

Hi Folks

Just wondererd if you could tell me some of the major things you cant eat post bypass, that make you dump basicaly,i read on a US forum that some people dump after taking a sugar coated paracetamol, is this true ? can you still have butter,bread,cheese ?
And is it really awful when you dump,what happens? i`m scared i`ll go to a restaurant eat something unsuitable and start dumping infront of everyone :eek:
xxxx

And how long before eating something'bad' does the dumping kick in?

OK, first thing is, everyone is different. Some people don't dump at all, some people dump very easily, so it will take you a while to find your limits.

You dump when you eat food thats high in sugar or fat. What happens is that the section of intestines that your foods go to after the bypass isn't designed to process the fat and the sugar, so the body sends loads of water to the intestines to sort it out. This then makes you feel dizzy, nauseous, weak etc.

For me, I have found that I dump on fat quite easily. Around 30 minutes after I eat I get all the above, and it lasts for about 2 hours. The best thing I can do when it happens is take myself off to bed and sleep it off. The last thing that made me dump was baked beans with corned beef and cheese. It was full sugar beans, and full fat cheese. Lesson learnt! Now I still have cheese but it's low fat, and I have reduced sugar beans. Or make my own. Dumping is a truly horrid feeling and not one that I would want to repeat!

I find that I'm fine with bread. I make my own (far less sugar and fat) and tend to have granary.

With tablets I was told to avoid the sugar(enteric)coated ones, which includes all ferrous sulphate, as it can cause dumping in people sensitive to sugar. I seem to be ok with sugar though.

In all honesty I'm glad that I dump, it has made me far more aware of the nutritional values of the foods I eat and made me cook more at home.

ike shel said everyone is different. i posted a thread on here a while back as i wasn't sure if i had suffered dumping or not. I can truthfully say i have now but only once. I can't eat white bread or lots of cheese and noodles. it comes on really quickly and starts for me with tummy pains the headache, nausea, diarrehea and vomiting. It doesn't usually last that long and after lying down for half an hour i felt ok.

i just try to avoid sugary and fatty foods and i seen to be ok. can manage things i fancy in small quantities. xx

Thanks guys. Blimey all sounds a bit scary,think i`ll just stick to a radish a day (i wish !) hee hee

Hi Bellsie, i initially didn't push myself or try foods which might have made me dump but as time has gone on i have tried more things. It hasn't been as big a problem as i thought and although everyone is different you will learn what you can and can't manage. xx

Back