• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dumping syndrome a few days post op VSG

slimsuz

Hi! Just wondering if anyone has experienced 'dumping syndrome' very soon post op with VSG? If so what were your symptoms and what did you eat to bring it on please? I think I just experienced it but am not sure! I am 5 days post op. Thanks in advance xx

Hi SlimSuz.

I didn't get anything so soon after the op. But then I only really had slimfast and soup for 3 weeks. When I was on purée I had stewed apple and custard and I felt very very weird afterwards. But can't be sure it was a dump.

What did you eat? You're on fluids yes?

I felt and still feel icky if I have too much sugar - sweats, dodgy tummy, nausea etc... it has been caused by fruit juice, flavoured milk, a little tub of ice cream at the theatre (won't be doing that again!)

Now I dilute my juice with 50% water if I'm going to have any as an occasional treat and I steer clear of sweets. If I want a little treat I have some 85% cocoa chocolate or an options hot chocolate sachet or a sugar free vanilla latte from Starbucks that way I'm not missing out but at the same time there's no strange feelings.

Thanks, yes I am only on liquids, I had just had a few tea spoons of strained complan chicken soup, I suddenly felt my heart pumping, sweats, couldn't concentrate, felt weak and had a severe bout of diarrhea. I am wondering if it's the medication I am still on or the after effects of surgery etc.. I am still on antibiotics. Have had quite an unsettled tummy since. I'm hoping it's just all part of the healing process and it will get better!

It could also be lactose - I had those side effects for 6 weeks post op until they figured out I had developed a lactose intolerance with the new stomach! Apparently lactose is quite hard to digest. Maybe try some Heinz tinned soups without dairy in them and see if that helps to settle you tummy? There's also that lactofree milk which tastes like normal milk but without the lactose that you could use, soy yoghurt etc...

I too developed lactose intolerance post op (never a problem before)! The Lactofree milk (& other products) are a real help if you like dairy. I couldn't stand the Soya milk or almond milk or others - yuk! However, an alpro soya yoghurt with no bits are OK & milxed with lactofree milk makes a lovely milkshake. Check product contents carefully - complan does have skimmed milk powder & I knew I had intolerance as soon as I started complan, protein shakes etc which all have milk protein/lactose.

Thanks so much all, fingers crossed I have not had another episode in a few weeks and am still having milk etc. perhaps it was a one off or it maybe due to the fact I had to have my gall bladder removed at the same time as being sleeved, and my digestion was 'on the wonk' ... Fingers crossed I do not get it again! Sorry to hear so many of you have become lactose intolerant, our bodies are amazingly complicated huh? Hope you are all well and thank you for the info and suggestions xxx

Back