• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dumping syndrome!! what does it feel like

tammy

Post-op Gastric Bypass
Hi all, i am 3 months post bypass and at every appointment dumping syndrome is mentioned. Can anyone let me know what there experiences have been. I'm sure i'd know if it has happened but don't think it has yet!!!!!!:confused:

Hi Tammy,

For me, this has happened once after having mash and cheese, I think it was too much fat.

About 15 minutes after I'd eaten I started feeling very light headed and woozy. I felt nauseaous and very out of sorts.

After about 30 minutes of this I took myself off to bed and dozed for an hour. When I woke up I felt fine.

I tried to drink plenty of water through it so as to help flush things through my system, don't know if it works lol.

It was a horrid feeling and has made me very wary of fats.

Yep... nausea and dizziness is par for the course of dumping! And for me, I also had the pleasure of diarrhoea!!!

All it took was a cup a soup...

Everyone is different and not everyone dumps. However, if it every does happen, you will know about it!!! :giggle:

x

Thanks for that. I am very wary of trying foods for fear of it happening. Guess from what you have both said i will def know if it happens and feel crap. Sure it will happen at some point as i become more adventurous x

Gosh what a relief I had seen dumping mentioned on many threads and thought it was more of an obvious afliction, thank god its not.....Linda x

hi all
i have never had this but sure i will as i am starting to get very hungry now lol and could eat a horse lol..

you had a band didn't you e.green (emma?)? dumping syndrome comes with a bypass so you should be fine ;)

Hi,

I have dumped twice now, although I didnt feel too bad. I know when its about to start, as my heart races! I then feel a bit sick and then normally have to rush to the loo! I didnt have a woozy feeling, but did lie down. It lasts for me about 30 mins, and then absolutely fine! Its weird. The culprit for me was a protein shake, and a soup when I was in Belgium, a few days post op. Thankfully, not happened since as I check all food labels for fat and sugar content, and have not eaten out yet.

Kel xx

I seem to dump all the time. I was fine post bypass but now 3 months later it has happened a lot after breakfast and lunch. It doesn't really seem to matter what I eat, but only if I eat in the early part of the day. Weird I know. I haven't vomited, but feel tired,dizzy, sick and have the runs. If anyone on the thread can give me any advice about how to avaoid this I would be really grateful.
Thanks

I seem to dump all the time. I was fine post bypass but now 3 months later it has happened a lot after breakfast and lunch. It doesn't really seem to matter what I eat, but only if I eat in the early part of the day. Weird I know. I haven't vomited, but feel tired,dizzy, sick and have the runs. If anyone on the thread can give me any advice about how to avaoid this I would be really grateful.
Thanks
god it sounds like you having a tough time. Don't have any advice although i do feel nauseas most mornings but put this down to the tablets i take. Can't manage breakfast at all really. hope someone can offer you some advice x

Thanks

Sara - I've been getting the runs on an off too, i know i'm only just 2 weeks post bypass, but speaking to my consultant he's said that its to be expected, the part of the GI pulled up and attached the the new stomach isn't used to taking raw food and will take a while to settle down, he said he expected me to have the runs on and off for about 6 weeks when the intestine should settle down....... now its slightly worrying that your 3 months post and still having this. If i were in your shoes i'd go back to your consultant and talk the issues through !

Richard

Back