• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What to believe? Differences in advice.

Mixman

Well guys, I'm getting better online access now so looking further and further into the differences between sleeves and bypass methods and ways.

Now I have a diet sheet that says I must avoid sugary food with the sleeve just as much with the bypass but then I read that you don't get the dumping syndrome with the sleeve but on my paperwork it says I would. Or are they just trying to steer you away just in case and to help my diet for the future?

I mean I trust the experts and I'm not going to try anything sweet, I just wondered why there are differences in opinions? Is this just different surgeon/dietician theories?

Also Dr. Ackroyd has said that the weight loss differences are minimal as the lady on High Dependancy with me had exactly the same problem and had to have a sleeve instead of band and didn't know what to expect so Dr. Ackroyd told us!

If I were you, I would go with your surgeon's advice. I think there are lots of similarities between a sleeve and a bypass in what you can and cant eat. What I do know about the sleeve is that it can stretch over a period of time which will allow your food intake to increase - my hospital uses it as an inbetween surgery for patients who are too big to have the bypass, to get them light enough to go for bypass. There are two ladies in my support group who have had a sleeve and they are both thrilled with the results - its horses for courses!

Hi Mixman - my consultant Dr Ashton first of all recommended the Sleeve for me for the following reasons

1) So far the 10years of data suggest weight loss is pretty similar to the bypass

2) It was set up for patients who were too big for a full bypass op with the intention once they lost some weight they'd go back and have the rest done. It turns out a lot didn't need to go back as the sleeve did the job very well

3) It's not quite as risky as the full bypass

4) I was really scared about having a big op and he sensed that

However after coming round to the idea of having the op I wanted to ensure success and whilst there is 40years of data around on the bypass there isn't much long term data for the sleeve to indicate long term weightloss results (and maintaining). So I changed my mind a day or so before the op and called Dr Ashton who said he would have recommended the bypass first of all had I not been so concerned about the procedure.
So I guess you need to talk more with your consultant, and go with his advice.

Well guys, I'm getting better online access now so looking further and further into the differences between sleeves and bypass methods and ways.

Now I have a diet sheet that says I must avoid sugary food with the sleeve just as much with the bypass but then I read that you don't get the dumping syndrome with the sleeve but on my paperwork it says I would. Or are they just trying to steer you away just in case and to help my diet for the future?

I mean I trust the experts and I'm not going to try anything sweet, I just wondered why there are differences in opinions? Is this just different surgeon/dietician theories?

Also Dr. Ackroyd has said that the weight loss differences are minimal as the lady on High Dependancy with me had exactly the same problem and had to have a sleeve instead of band and didn't know what to expect so Dr. Ackroyd told us!

Did you know when you went off to sleep that a sleeve was a possibility?

Lx

Did you know when you went off to sleep that a sleeve was a possibility?

Lx

Yes I did know and I knew what one was :)

Dr Ackroyd and Narissa Walker had explained all in detail to me before at various times. Kept telling me because of 'how big I was'. I guess I knew because I was the one going under, but I've always been 'active'. Walking round no problem etc, and never really saw myself as that 'big'. Obviously I was, clothes sizes and weights don't lie :8855:

I did feel for this other lady as she seemed genuinely oblivious to what a sleeve was :cry:

My surgeon went through everything with me before surgery - explained that if they couldnt do a bypass they would do a sleeve and they might have to do an open bypass not a laproscopic one - all went as planned and I had a lap gastric bypass - dont think it happens very often that they start off doing one and end up doing another. Think they have a pretty good idea what they are going to be able to do before they start but they have to go through everything before you signed the consent form.

I'm very happy I've been given at least a chance of eventually doing something for myself :D

Ideally, I'm a broad guy, so I would be happy at 15 stone, half what I am now, well, since my pre-op weigh in.

Even if I lost 10 stone I would be active enough to do the rest myself. I don't plan on wasting this chance given to me and look forward to achieving my goals and sharing the happiness with you all :D

I was under the impression that with the sleeve the weight loss was similar to a band. Hey what do I know I was too chicken to have my insides cut so opted for the band lol. Good luck to all with the sleeves and may your weight loss be wonderful.

Back