• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Confused/Dizzy/shaky...Really need advice

emma-louise

my new life!!
I'm really needing some advice....
I've had a bypass done and this has happened quite a few times now.
Today I was with my children,when out of the blue I felt dizzy,shaky and very uncoordinated.
My older daughter noticed and helped me walk home(luckily I was 2mins away).
I get the feeling it's low blood sugars,so I'm so desperate to 'come round' so I had something sugary.
But of course it leads to a dump,luckily im about to sit the dump out and it's gone after 40 mins.
I wanted to know can anyone offer any advice or help to what I can do to help myself or take when this happens.
To be honest it's a worse feeling than dumping syndrome when I've had it bad.
I'm going to mention it at my next appointment at the hospital.
So any advice will be great x

Yes sounds very much like me, i often get it on a morning but have had it other times as well. I have connected it to quick bursts of maybe sugary things, could well be drop or raise in blood pressure. It has happened by the time i have got to work several mornings I have had to lie down on our soft seating area for 1/2 hour until i can sit up gain, visual disturbance, sweating, disorientation, feeling faint, usually when it starts to move off i have cup of coffee and ginger snap and that seems to sort it out for me. Not very nice is that like you?? found it worse when i have had a bowl of crunchy nut cornflakes, bout an hour after it has come on twice. xx

chrisa said:
Yes sounds very much like me, i often get it on a morning but have had it other times as well. I have connected it to quick bursts of maybe sugary things, could well be drop or raise in blood pressure. It has happened by the time i have got to work several mornings I have had to lie down on our soft seating area for 1/2 hour until i can sit up gain, visual disturbance, sweating, disorientation, feeling faint, usually when it starts to move off i have cup of coffee and ginger snap and that seems to sort it out for me. Not very nice is that like you?? found it worse when i have had a bowl of crunchy nut cornflakes, bout an hour after it has come on twice. xx

Thanks for reply,
I forgot to mention I also get hot/cold sweats with the feeling of disorientation and shakes.
It's not nice when it happens when I have my young children with me.
I do think it must be a drop in something as it can happen when I've not eaten.
What can be done about this I wonder?
It's worse than a dump I think!

The key is don't go too long between meals to prevent your sugar levels dropping too low. It was one reason I'd eat seven meals a day. I used to eat my last meal about half an hour before bed so my sugar didn't drop too low in the mornings, then I'd eat a very light meal very soon after I got up

That sounds like what was happening to me
My weight management team wanted me to do a diabetic feeding test to see what was happening to my blood sugars, and asked me to do a food diary for a couple of months. I had few dizzy spells when doing the food diary and realized it was when I'd either had a bit too much sugar or I hadn't eaten in a few hours.
I had to cancel the diabetic appointment as it clashed with a funeral and my team advised to record if I had any more dizzy spells and they would assess the situation late May.

I was told to have a biscuit when I felt dizzy to see if that made a difference and so far It has worked every time
HTH

Yes i might have alook at that cos usually i have nothing to eat after 7.30pm then my breakfast is about 7am so thtas 12 hrs without food then breakfast suppose the body doesn't know whats happening to it. Will try and have something bit later before bed ta xx

Thanks for replies,thinking about it now,
It usually happens while I'm out.
It's a case of avoiding sugary things so I don't dump,but then I'm finding I have to have something quick to help me feel better.
Would having a glucose tablet help I wonder as I've been afraid to try one of those(as don't want a dump while I'm not safe at home!)
I should be more aware of when I've gone a while and not eaten anything.
As it's usually the case that I get these symptoms when I'm out.

Prevention is better than cure, take a protein bar with you in your bag, like chocolate but no sugar. I'm not sure about glucose though it's just sugar in a simpler form so the results might be the same, check with your dietician.

Karlos said:
Prevention is better than cure, take a protein bar with you in your bag, like chocolate but no sugar. I'm not sure about glucose though it's just sugar in a simpler form so the results might be the same, check with your dietician.

Thanks karlos,
I'm tried several times with protein bars but they don't agree with me.
They made me so sick,I think your just right I'm going to long without a bit of food.
I'm going to have to be more aware of making sure I'm not going without food for a period of time.
I also doesn't help the fact that I don't feel hungry too!
Not doing myself any favours am I x
I think I'm having a bad day today..lol

If protein bars don't agree with you , I carry a little pot with some Brazil nut in , just in case .
Hope you find a solution soon hun xx

Tomorrows another day, just hope we are more focussed with our meals. I have tried not to eat in between my 3 meals so that i am back to normal eating pattern times only if i havent eaten enough through the day do i have something else. i am going to try and have something before bed, and see what happens tomorrow. thankyou all xx we can only tryxx have never really dumped yet had bowel colic but that was bad enough, then these episodes so can't be doing too much wrong. xx

Yes...tomorrows another day..
And I've realised I'm having a bad food day,
Just had tuna for my tea(as I eat lots of the stuff)and for some reason its not gone down well.
Ahh well looking at my teeny trendy trousers I bought today has cheered me up,it's still all worth it!!..lol

I described these symptoms to my surgeon ( I get this sometimes and I haven't had surgery yet!) he said its a carb crash and I'm addicted to them. He said it was a drop in blood sugar due to eating too many carbs! Dunno if this is any help but I thought if share!!!! X

dinkydink said:
I described these symptoms to my surgeon ( I get this sometimes and I haven't had surgery yet!) he said its a carb crash and I'm addicted to them. He said it was a drop in blood sugar due to eating too many carbs! Dunno if this is any help but I thought if share!!!! X

That's interesting to hear,but I hardly eat bread and potato and definetly don't do rice and pasta.
I wonder if it's a side effect of having a gastric bypass.

Reactive hypoglycaemia can be a side effect, I suffer with it. I wasn't diabetic or anything pre-op. now I get random blood sugar plummets leading to the symptoms you've described. I use dextrose tablets, glucogel (prescription), or fresh orange immediately followed by a complex carb to balance it out. I don't dump when eating sugar to come out of an episode.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

shelbell said:
Reactive hypoglycaemia can be a side effect, I suffer with it. I wasn't diabetic or anything pre-op. now I get random blood sugar plummets leading to the symptoms you've described. I use dextrose tablets, glucogel (prescription), or fresh orange immediately followed by a complex carb to balance it out. I don't dump when eating sugar to come out of an episode.

Hi
The dextrose tabs,are they the ones easy bought at a chemist,and sorry to sound stupid but what foods would you class as complex?

emma-louise said:
Hi
The dextrose tabs,are they the ones easy bought at a chemist,and sorry to sound stupid but what foods would you class as complex?

Yup, the fruit flavoured ones at the chemist. Complex carbs are the brown natural ones, wholemeal/whole grain, so I would have a healthy cereal bar, or a piece of wholemeal toast normally.

Back