• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dumping Syndrome

It can happen either way. You have have almost immediate dumping and there are lots of people who suffer from delayed dumping as well.

For me personally it takes less than five minutes after I have eaten but like FL has said everyone is different and their experiences are also different x

I have had one experience of almost immediate dumping, it happened within five minutes and was horrible. If my food has a little too much natural sugar or fat in it then it can be up to an hour later when I feel a bit sicky, tired and nervy, which I guess is late mild dumping.
Steph xx

What would happen if this occurred in a public place, i.e. restaurant, would it be obvious to others or could you just sit it out in discomfort?

I guess it's better safe than sorry and just stick to plainly cooked food that you've tried & tested previously at home. Almost negates the reason for eating out as I like to try new foods in a restaurant lol

Twiggie...I am especially careful when I eat anywhere but at home just in case there is some hidden sugars or fats. I know of people that actually lose control of their bowels/vomit and some even pass out. So for some people yes you would definately know something was going on. Even my one proper dump was quite noticable as I had to sit over a bowl spitting up and was very pale and sweaty and shakey.
You do have to be SO careful post op, there are hidden sugars and fats in places you wouldnt expect and they can bite you in the butt, so I think, and this is just me, it is better to air on the side of caution, especially whilst out in public.
Steph xx

Twiggie...I am especially careful when I eat anywhere but at home just in case there is some hidden sugars or fats. I know of people that actually lose control of their bowels/vomit and some even pass out.

OMG that is incredibly scary!!! :eek:

I think that alone would put me off ever wanting to eat out again! :sigh:

I pass out quite easily post op and now never eat anything out that I have tried at home before.

What would happen if this occurred in a public place, i.e. restaurant, would it be obvious to others or could you just sit it out in discomfort?

I once had a dumping episode come upon me when I was in Asda, an hour after eating a small chocolate biscuit. I only just managed to get to the toilet, by hanging onto the trolley. I could NOT have hidden it, I was overcome with waves of hot/cold sweating, breathless, palpitations, AWFUL.

This dumping syndrome is quite scary, the thought of it will put me off ever going back to the terrible habits i have now.....

I think i will be sticking with good old fashioned homestyle cooking if i go out. Anything else will be in a plastic 'tupperware' box from a restaurant.....

I have had early dumping (withing 10 mins) and late dumping (40 mins) when eating/drinking. When out I stick with safe things such as a banana and in restaurants I have carvery type meals as you know what you are eating.

Mine are always delayed dumping - but it takes quite a lot to dump most times....I wont sit and list what I ate on Sat night and how ill I was after as I was disgusted at myself when I sat and thought about the amount of crap I ate without thinking (can you tell I am 12 months out or what?!?!?) but I am making a conscious effort to now think about what I eat and have removed ALL easter eggs! Hahaha
I have never had an immediate dump before and never dumped when Im out - thank God! x

I am so wooried about dumping and i havnt even had my op yet. i have took to ready packets already and this gets up my mums nose cause it takes me so long to shop now.

Im 17 months out and have never dumped but equally have never eaten anything that should of caused me to either. Dont Get me wrong i have been tempted but the thought of dumping scares the life out of me because i work with children with disabilities from home who are totally dependent on me. i suppose now i have just got used to it and the facyt that i cant have certain things really doesnt bother me but i do like nice tasty food.
Saying that i eat out frequently and have eaten at italians, indians, chinese, mexican, pizza hut, mcdonalds, carvery, fine resturants and the list goes on. i always order either veg or salad with my meal no potatoes of any shape or form. i also steer clear of creamy sauces and anything that is deep fried.
I was never a big sweet eater and luckly for me the thought/smell of anything sweet has me heaving. I know i am sensitive to sugars as in the early days someone bought me an OJ that turned out to be a brivic 55 and my head was fuzzy after 2 sips hence the rest didnt go down.
Hope that helps
carole

Whoa, this is a bit of a scary thread and had I been pre-op it would have honestly freaked me out. Please do not take this wrong, as I know people are only speaking to their own experiences, but it does seem like many of the people that have commented represent the extremely sensitive dumpers which are in the minority not the majority. I think so many of us bypassers (at least with the many I have personally met at my support group and through local mets) are able to easily manange meals out, try new things and basically enjoy meals without fear of dumping. When eating out, follow your nutritional guidelines and it should be near impossible to dump if you stay away from high sugar & high fat foods. Save your 'treats' or questionable/bad food choices for home!

On the rare occasion that I have had very mild dumping (felt sweaty or a little light headed, maybe a bit tired) due to overindulgence I have never felt like I was actually ill in public. I think a bit of education about food choices can be a big help early days as Carole talked about, avoiding starches, skipping fried foods, sugary dishes and extra fat. If in doubt tell your server that you are a diabetic who is watching your fat intake so that they can point you to low-sugar & low-fat options. And a special note to those of you in the first 6 months, you are at your most sensitive that you will ever be to dumping at this point. You will naturally become more tolerant, especially to natural fruit sugars as you get further out. Try not to worry, you will be able to eat out, you just have to learn some basic rules of nutrition and then you can dive in and enjoy!

Even if dumping seems scary to any pre oppers, remember that it can be used as an extra tool to keeping your food choices good. I am more vigalent about my choices because I dump. I can have a bite of most things but it is when I have more than a bite that I feel not so good. Hubby now asks me if I want a lick of his ice cream or a bite of his bun so I dont feel deprived at all and I feel satisfied.

I def agree with PG and Samamum. I am def a sensitive dumper to sugars, however, I have never dumped whilst I am out because it becomes a part of your life and you learn what you can have and can't have. I go to work everyday and I am just aware of what I am putting in my mouth. I teach children and I know they are counting on me so I ENSURE that foods I eat are safe foods - notice that I did not say boring foods. Even though I do dump on sugars (including natural) - I always eat new things in my own home and I stay away from anything I know will make me dump. Dumping is the best tool I ever got and I hope I will never lose it - it's not that it is soooooooo terrible - when I get it I use it as a reminder of never going back - so it's a bit like an alarm clock saying be aware of what you are eating. I am 94lbs lighter in 6 months and EXTREMELY happy and healthy.

I don't consider myself a sensitive dumper. According to Mr Ammori, my reactions are considered very normal. I can eat most things without any issue. My major issue just happened out of stupidity and eating some Skittles which will never happen again. It scared me enough that it will definitely keep me on the straight and narrow. Can't have Skittles but could have a few jelly beans with no issue. There seems to be no rhyme or reason but that is fine by me. I would rather give those things up completely than risk another severe dumping episode. My passing out seems not to be dumping related but related to bloods and low blood pressure.

Back