• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dumping syndrome

Suffolk Joy

Hi

I am seeing an anesthetist very soon so the surgery date is getting nearer. I am doing a fair amount of reading through the threads but can someone give me a clear idea on
what dumping is?
why does it happen?
how do you prevent it?

Many thanks

SJ xx

Dumping is different for everyone - everyone will have their own threshold and react to different degrees.

Basic description is when too much undigested sugar passes into the intestine from the stomach the body pulls water into the intestine to cope with the high sugar concentration. This causes various symptoms that can include (but might not!) hot flushes, shaking, nausea, stomach cramps, passing out, diarrhoea, rapid heartbeat. This can happen after you eat, or it can be delayed and happen later on.

Way to avoid is to limit refined sugar intake - I try to stay below 6-7g but some can eat more some have to eat less! I am ok with milk but some people dump on milk. In some ways it helps keep me on track but I have not pushed my limits yet! So I don't know if I would dump badly or not. I have had it happen on a few occasions but not badly. It can be a bit trial and error as to what you try. You have to get used to checking all food labels!

Many thanks for your help. All sounds a bit grim but as you said it does mean you have to get your specs out to read the labels clearly.

SJ x

All that @Hannah2 has said and there are other non sugary foods which might not agree with you and cause similar symptoms. I tend to have a problem with eating too quickly and with oily food, it causes dry vomiting, diarrhea and sweating (for me it happens the day after which I think is unusual) though not sure it's technically dumping, nonetheless it is rather unpleasant. Hopefully, you will identify the causes quickly and learn to manage it, I have not dumped since about month 4 or 5 I think.

I have never dumped on anything which was a bit disheartening for me as I wanted it to happen to help steer me clear of returning to bad habits.

Wouldn't it be great if we could choose what foods we dump on? Ice cream and crisps would be great for me - those are some of the worst culprits for me. Since those are slider foods as well, it would be very useful to have dumping there as extra help! From what I can see reading everyone's threads it is all very random - some people dump on pretty much everything that is high in carbs, some people don't dump at all. I guess we'll see where I end up on that scale once I've had my op...

Wouldn't it be great if we could choose what foods we dump on? Ice cream and crisps would be great for me - those are some of the worst culprits for me. Since those are slider foods as well, it would be very useful to have dumping there as extra help! From what I can see reading everyone's threads it is all very random - some people dump on pretty much everything that is high in carbs, some people don't dump at all. I guess we'll see where I end up on that scale once I've had my op...

That's the thing.
I was a little sensitive when I was first bypassed but it disappeared and never came back.
I think that people that have the sugar/fat dumping sensitivity tend to have a better overall weight loss as it becomes too awful for them to evens attempt to eat the "naughty" foods we all want to cut from our diets.

Just a little bit of sensitivity for me would have been appreciated lol..

Fingers crossed if they tweak my intestine I may actually get it this time round ..
Then a bit of me thinks that I should be careful what I wish for lol xx

Back