• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Eating and purging

Not sure if I've posted this in the right place but if not, I'm sure a mod will move it. :p

Following my bypass, there would be random times when my pouch doesn't agree with certain foods so I would go to the toilet and bring it all back up and I'd feel much better. Bypassers will definitely know what this is like!

I'm concerned that I'm beginning to do this too often, especially for main meals. When I've ate, I get a really intense feeling of fullness (sometimes with an uncomfortable feeling, sometimes without) and I don't like it so I go to the toilet and bring the food up again.

I seem to be getting in to a routine where I'm eating a meal then purging it. I did it today, had a small steak pie for dinner, ate some of it then purged then ate the rest and purged again.

I prefer the feeling of an empty pouch rather than a full one. I'm purging partly because my pouch feels really uncomfortable but also because I just want the pouch emptied and the calories out of my body.

Has anyone else been in a situation like this?

Yes I went through similar stage to this and it became a bit of a habit. I've always had a sensitive pouch and would either be naturally sick or have to make my self sick a lot for the first year, to the extent that my surgeon asked if I wanted a stretch. I decided against it but found I was suddenly getting the urge to empty my pouch even when It wasn't really necessary (just feeling tight) so I forced myself to watch my portions a bit more so I didn't get too uncomfortable and any time I did I would bide my time. Now I seem to have trained my body to stop rejecting food or wanting to reject it. I've only been sick once in the last month (not by choice).

I think if you are eating and then bringing food up twice for one meal and this is becoming daily thing you need to be very careful. See if by reducing your portion sizes and maybe having smaller but more meals through the day you can eat without getting so full you want to empty pouch. I think you should speak to your team/GP as well as you might be developing some transference? The feeling of being empty is now maybe a similar comfort that being full was before your bypass.

I cant give any useful advice because I've not had surgery yet but did the same thing happen when you had pureed foods or even mushy foods? Perhaps you could try going back to that or as Shelleymarie said, decrease your portion size?

I'm looking forward to experiencing these things. I hope you feel better soon :) x

I havnt had a bypass so cant really comment but if it continues i would say you definately need to see your gp x x

Hi I had a bypass in june and I did go through this stage it was every day every meal I was fetching everything back up.

I am no longer doing this for 2 reasons
1 my teeth were eroding with the acid everytime this happened I have ended up with 6 fillings since my bypass in june. My teeth were fine pre op.

2. I now make sure I eat really really slowly and chew chew chew. I think my problem was bad habit die hard, I had spent 30 years not having to think about how I ate. Although I had slowed down how fast I ate it wasn't enought which in turn ment I didn't chew it enough and things were getting stuck. I would get an intense burning pain but as soon as I brought it back up I would be fine again.

I think the damage it was doing to my teeth was enough to sort out my eating habits. I am no longer fetching any meals back at all. Good luck with breaking the cycle x

Back