• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Not drinking water

novamay

Born Free
I'm having problems drinking water. I'm still finding it rather uncomfortable - I can feel it going down my throat and hitting the pouch and then its like the feeling you get with indigestion. I only drink it to take my tablets - small sips but still its the same.

I'm ok with food stuff, and am able to drink warmer fluids but mainly sticking to tea and coffee and warm milk. Anyone had this before?

What about hot drinks like tea? I find water uncomfortable too. Also try it icecold - maybe keep a jug in the fridge. I find that slightly better.

Hot or cold drinks are usually much more comfortable. Even now I struggle with water unless it's very cold. It just makes me feel queasy, I make sure I get enough by putting a jug in the fridge like Yve suggested. I also add a bit of juice fresh or sugar free to it and that helps but tea is my saving grace. I drink it all day long, keeps me hydrated and the protein in the milk is good. It will get easier though, just keep at it :) x

I'm the same, I have to have warm water. But can drink milk cold fine! Been like it since the op. Its a horrible feeling, and I always enjoyed drinking lots of water. From my reading of some of the american forums, it seems to be fairly common. Some people think its got to do with pH, I'm not sure. Pre op though water would sometimes induce my GERD. I live in a hard water area, dont know if that makes a difference.

For me it seems easier to add fruit juice to it. Helps it go down, i find if i dont drink at least a pint and a half i get severe constipation so the moto i use is 'the more u drink, the more u'll shrink'..lol x

Thanks, all. I'm in a hard water area too so maybe that isn't helping. I have a water filter jug so might try resurrecting that - I'm ok with milk and OJ straight from the fridge - there's just this small problem with water from the tap. I'll have to persevere with the sipping though as I'm due to start the iron tablets next week and will expect some trouble with the piping once I'm on those (fingers crossed not too much). Hopefully, it'll ease in time or I'll get used to it - just feels like the pouch is contracting when the water hits it.

I'm exactly the same. I used to love drinking plain old water but now I can feel it all down my throat and into my stomach pouch (I'm a sleever).....and then the growling and bubbling starts. The colder the water, the worse it feels. I can get away with it by adding sugar free squash and making sure its room temp, but warm and hot drinks are much more paletable. I've even bought some herbal teas (mint and chamomile) so that I don't keep guzzling normal tea and coffee so much. I guess there is no solution, but its good to know I'm not an oddity! lol.

I've struggled with cold/cool drinks from the start to the point where now practically all my fluid intake is from hot drinks... I can just about sip half a glass of sf squash if I'm a bit hot but glugging down a cold drink on a hot day is something I really miss (thank god British weather is crap & heat seems to be a thing of the past... lol)
I asked at my 18 mth check up & thankfully they said as long as I'm getting enough fluid over a day it doesn't matter if its hot or cold :)

I'm exactly the same. I used to love drinking plain old water but now I can feel it all down my throat and into my stomach pouch (I'm a sleever).....and then the growling and bubbling starts. The colder the water, the worse it feels. I can get away with it by adding sugar free squash and making sure its room temp, but warm and hot drinks are much more paletable. I've even bought some herbal teas (mint and chamomile) so that I don't keep guzzling normal tea and coffee so much. I guess there is no solution, but its good to know I'm not an oddity! lol.

Just read this bit about gurgling... colder drinks definitely make me gurgle more too :) it sounds like a dodgy drain & it's proper noisy... tee hee :s

Back