• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Eating in the USA

everpositive

Hello guys,

We have saved for a long time to take ourselves to Orlando to do the whole Disney/Fun Park type holiday with our 3 kids this summer. On one level its going to be great because I've already lost over 3.5 st since Jan and if I continue as I have been, should be 6 st down by the time we fly out. For all sorts of reasons, this will make the holiday better for me and my family. I wont need to ask for the awful extension belt from the skinny air cabin crew staff on the plane, I'll be able to walk and move much more freely without getting out of puff, wont feel so ashamed in my shorts/cozzy........I could go on. If I'm really honest, I am worried about what I'll eat, and if I'm being super honest a bit gutted that I wont be able to fully experience the all american super sized and oh so delightful cuisine.

So far, I've avoided any sort of eating out because on the rare occasion I have, its all been a bit disapointing and I've ended up feeling rough and had to come home early. Although I know we can and will eat in our villa sometimes, I'm certain the majority of our dining will be out because of the nature of the holiday. Any tips or advice on what I should order, avoid etc would be most helpful. Anyone who has had a similar dilemma or been away anywhere on hols and survived the eating side of things especially welcome?? :(:confused::(

Cheers xx

Well I haven't been there following WLS (I'm Pre-op) but one thing we found is that all the places we went were very accommodating about what you want to eat and they will do what ever you ask (in my experience) so no mayo means no mayo... grilled chicken? it was just grilled chicken and they are very happy to let 2 people share a meal everywhere we went and that could be an option as you could just have a small amount of someone else's (HUGE) dinner. They are very used to people being very specific about how they want their food so don't panic just ask and I found they were so so much more helpful than any places here that I have eaten out.

My brother has been to New York Nov 08 and said the portions are massive so Like cakeybun said you could always take a bit of there plate they were in a bar and asked for a side of chicken wings and they bought out a plate of 30 lol plenty for the 4 of them

Hi EP. I just returned from the USA today & I had no problems. I either had a salad (most places have them, even fast food), soup or starters when I couldn't find something to share with someone. Also, I ordered things that I could easily take home if the portions were huge. They really are accomidating, if you don't want to explain that you have had surgery you can always say you are diabetic so sugar/fat content is important to you. Don't be scared to ask, many places have a la carte items like baked potatoes, green salads, & veggies so you can always ask for a 'side order' instaed of a full order. Florida is known for seafood so you are pretty safe ordering poached fish & non-fried shrimp and just ask for a veg side or salad to replace the carb (rice, pasta, potatoe) if you are concerned about feeling discomfort during dinner.

Best of luck & don't worry too much. Just enjoy the smaller you.

Nic:p

Thanks hun. America was so lovely but I am glad to home and in the arms of my loving husband. And, the food is so much cheaper here!!!

Back