• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Eating out in France

LBD

I am off on my hols to the Dordogne next week and am looking forward to the culinary delights that will undoubtedly be on offer.

I was just wondering what the French are like if I only order a starter or ask for a very small meal. We like to eat out a lot when we are on holiday and I dont want to have to stop doing this just because of my band.

Anyone had experiences of eating out in France following WLS?

Speak to Glenville, he has just come back from there and posted his menus of what he ate... yum or what!

I can't honestly see anyone complaining if you only order a starter. But why not pack a little tupperware tub for your hols, some things i am sure will be just as nice cold at a later time... Ooh lovely cheeses :)

Enjoy your holiday xx

We are off to France soon, 8 weeks before my op thankfully! No wonder I am this size! - Paul x

I'm glad someone else has asked this. My parents have got a house over in France and we spend a lot of time there. I'm a bit worried about the whole eating out thing. The French can be a bit funny about their food! Probably because its so good!

Im going to France as well in 3 weeks, but am a bypasser and much further out than you so I expect what I can tolerate may be a bit more than you.

As its my holiday I will eat whatever I want (like normal people do when they go on holiday lol) I expect it will include lots of cheese and wine! We rent a villa and as there are so many of us we dont eat out much due to the cost so we have lots of bbq's which are easy to cope with. Not much help I know.

I have been to France since surgery and ate out a lot, but it was at Disneyland so not quite the same! I would have really enjoyed a lovely french restaurant, although I remember from pre-op they didn't have much vegetarian so maybe not.

Cheese and wine tho, my favourites.

Enjoy!

Rx

Yes, I've just been to France for a long weekend and managed very well, but I am 9 months post-op RNY. You often find that the best deals for lunch are set meals, ie you have NO choice so you get the same as everyone else. However, you usually get so many courses that if there is something you don't like or can't handle you can just leave it. Evening meals are usually a choice of different priced menus with more or less courses, each with a choice so you should not have too much difficulty in finding something you can handle. You can also usually choice ala carte and have exactly what you want, although that does work out a bit more expensive and the portions are often that bit bigger, not a good idea for us.

I'm sure you will cope, and have a wonderful time. The biggest problem for me was to stop eating the FAB bread and filling myself up before even the first course!

xx

Like Glenville last time I went to France I just had the set menu, so no real help there - I did swap and change some items though and the waiter was fine especially when I attempted french ;-).

But I think if you're eating out, the restaurant should give you what you ask for - give the server a nice smile and just order the starter. Even in France niceness goes a long way.

Plus if they're snooty - don't leave a tip...

I'm off to France at the end of Sept for 2 weeks, when I'll be 4 months post RNY. We've booked two gites (both in vineyards !!) and we'll self cater most of the time, with a few meals out. What I'm slightly worried about is identifying suitable low-fat, low-sugar stuff in supermarkets. I have a reasonable command of French, but I'd hate to spoil my holiday by making myself sick. We're driving and will have plenty of room in the car - is there anything I should take with me ??

Back