• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Eating meat!

paulineiw

Six Month Post Op
http://www.*******.com/s.asp?im=gen&lpver=3&ref=10 Hi all. Just a bit of advice please.
I am 11 weeks post op and lost 50lb which I think is just unbelievable, however I am finding eating over the last 2 weeks really hard. I cannot digest any form of meat ( this actually is not a huge issue as I was a vegetarian for a long time and don't really miss it too much.)

I am finding that what I am able to eat.. tomatoes, olives ( love them!!! ), the occasional egg,cheese, beetroot, coleslaw, soft fruits etc are fine, no problem! However things like pasta, potato, rice, meat (don't eat fish) are definite no nos.
I seem to be living on salad, grated cheese, Dairylea cheese and baked beans which is a pretty crap diet! I do supplement on protein shake if I am having a day when I can't eat anything.
Is this a normal stage to go through, I have a permanent gurgling stomach and generally feel quite rough ( not surprising with the food I am eating! )
Any suggestions for easily digestable foods, I am more than happy to give up on the meat but need protein alternatives I feel.
Many thanks Pauline

have you tried meats slow cooked, such as stews... or can you manage soups with tiny bits of meat in. Or how about something like shepherds pie?

Sorry, Im not post op yet so don't know if my suggestions are any good. Someone with more knowledge will be along soon xx

Meat can be a sticking point (quite literally) with lots of people.

I am 17 weeks post op today and I still have problems with meat and chicken - if it is overcooked.

I can eat chicken if it is just cooked and tender and always with sauce or gravy. I managed a little bit of roast lamb the weekend before last, but again in lots of gravy. And last weekend a bit of beef - yes, drowned in gravy! So, I often find meat is best in minced format or chopped/sliced such as cold ham etc.

Fish is also a massive problem for me. I have only this past week managed some grilled salmon - in sauce! I cannot even entertain it dry.

Overcooked eggs can also be a problem as they take on a horrid rubbery texture.

I think the general rule of thumb is:

1. Take it slowly
2. Tiny bites (Shelbel advocates not bigger than a pencil rubber)
3. Chew, chew, chew, chew chew!
4. Sauce/gravy
5. Stop immediately you feel restriction (tightening behind breast bone)

If you cannot tolerate certain foods, then go back a step for a few days. I find that what I can't tolerate today, I'll have a go at a couple of weeks later. Sometimes I have tolerated it and then 'pouchy' doesn't like it again. It really does seem to have a 'mind' of it's own!

I am 10 weeks post op and also have a problem but have found the 1st few bits I have seem to go down really bad but then if I wait a couple of minutes for the uncomfortable feeling to go then I can usually finish, but I'm only eating the size of a pencil rubber each mouthful so i would keep trying as protein is very good for you. xxxxx

In the eary stages i found that eating rare steak was easier than any other meat i used to flash grill it so it was just cooked rare leave it to rest for 5mins then thinly slice it.
also look at some of the tinned meats particularly chicken breast its a lot moister than fresh meat at this stage.
Thease days i can eat anything and everything without any problems.
hc

You could try a meat substitute like quorn its low in fat and high in protein. I use the mince to make chilli and cottage pie I just add some gravy grans to give it that meatier taste.

I have also bought some steam bags from Aldi (pack of 20 for £1.99). I use these for chicken. Take a breast chop it up into bite size pieces put in bag seal it and microwave it for 3 mins. Chicken is cooked and nice and tender I have it with vig and a bit of cheese sauce

Wizz some chicken,turkey in a blender from raw so its minced fine.make a good broth from fave veg,stock,seasoning and lentils.Add minced meat and simmer all day till the meat has disolved into the broth.Blend again.will be full of protien and vitamins.Will help keep you regular too.Freeze into small portions that are easily defrosted/heated for your meal.

Thanks all for your advice. I am feeling really rough and can't seem able to eat anything much at the moment, still at least I am losing weight!!
Think I will go back on liquids for a couple of days and protein shakes to see whether my stomach will settle down a bit! Thanks again Pauline:sigh:

hope things settle for you soon.
good idea to go back to liquids then go back to puree and try to introduce more protien and less carb at that stage.
hc

I haven't had probllems with meat but I understand from others that it can be tricky. I do slow roast lamb, beef & pork which makes for a really tender meal. You should try it once you have gone back on solids. You can use sauce, gravy or stock to keep it moist. Also a tip that I picked up from Hopelesscase is to alternate bites of veg with meat like one bite of beef, one bite of salad, another bite of beef, etc. I guess it helps transition the food to the bottom of the pouch and veg is usually full of water so it helps with digestion. Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.

Hubby bought home a hot roast chicken from Tesco last week and I stoopidly pulled a bit of breast off and ate it...bad move. Very bad move. Felt like I was being knifed in the chest the pain was horrific, then I peuked it up. Got told off by the dietitian too.

So - tried soft noodles last night (as advised by dietitician) and exactly the same thing happened - and each time it happens it make my intestine too sore to consume any food so I have to go back on liquids for a couple of days.

I think it's beucase both once chewed go into a mulchy mass which the pouch can't cope with and then regurgitates.

It's all trial & error.

Have had a really bad day and had to come home from work and make an appointment with the doctor, he gave me 2 different tablets to get rid of the sickness and colicky pain which thankfully have helped a bit!
Got to be well for Sunday as I am off to see Madness in concert which should be fun!!
Thanks again for all your help, I would be lost without all your advice, Pauline:thankyou:

Back