• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Emergency defill, slippage, feel like I am back to square one

Joolee

Hi everyone long time reader first time poster. I dont have anyone I can really talk to or get advice from so hoping someone here can advise me.

I got a private band through THG in march 2013 by Mr Halstead. Dont think much of THG tbh, they never seemed interested in helping me after they got their money, the nurses in the ward were cold and unfriendly and in the clinic in Glasgow I saw a different person every time, each with a different attitude and opinion about my fills. I lost weight very very slowly and would go months n months with no loss at all. Eventually I got up to 7.5ml and had great restriction and lost more weight taking me to 4 stone weight loss. My goal was 6 stone weight loss to get to a healthy weight.

Ever since my last fill I had terrible heartburn but no issues with getting stuck if I followed the rules. GP prescribed omeprazole which helped. I was out of my 2 years aftercare from.THG so didnt go back. About 8 weeks ago I suddenly could not keep anything down. It was like I had closed up! I stuck to liquids for a week thinking it would settle but eventually realised I was becoming very dehydrated as for the last 48 hours hadnt kept liquid down.

I went to my local hospital in edinburgh and eventually after 24 hours waiting in a bed the bariatric surgeon who was lovely explained my band had slipped. He said he would defill it and send me for a barium swallow to confirm and that he could repair or remove on NHS but any aftercare fills would need to be private. I asked if a complete defill could fix it without needing surgery and he said no. He said I could maybe get a conversion to sleeve or bypass but would need to go through the Weight Management programme first. I said but would I qualify for that at my current weight bmi 29 and he said yes as already have a band.

At the barium swallow 2 weeks later hey said it was a "very minor slip". I feel like I have no band at all now and have gained 17lb in 7 weeks just by eating normal portions again. Im hungry all the bloody time!! Im getting so depressed now, my clothes are too tight.

I havent heard back from.the surgeon and just.phoned there and it seems he hasnt even been passed the barium results to look at and they had me down as under the care of the wrong consultant

Could it be possible I could start getting fills again if it was only a minor slip and has corrected? Lots of online sources state correction surgery isnt always required?

Has anyone been through the Edinburgh nhs referral system, or been through it when original surgery was private??

Im thinking about going on a VLCD to get this rapid weight gain under control but these diets made me binge and purge in the past

Also, he only found 5.5ml in my band which was a bit weird but he didn't really comment on the 2ml lost :sigh:

If you have had your band a while the liquid will naturally go down a tiny bit over a long period. I had a major slip after a long time and converted to bypass. If your band is empty the only advice there is really is to re set yourself. Take a long hard look at what you are eating, go back to basics. Protein, veg, fruit then carbs. Control the spiral of weight gain until you get restriction again. Take it slow you don't want to risk another slip (filing too fast and vomiting all the time is a bad idea) the only thing to do is be proactive, look on the positives you still have a tool too help you which will hopefully work out so you don't need a second surgery too or to go through the hoops of nhs weight management.
I hope you can figure it all out, good luck xx

Thank you, I agree, I do still have the tool, the novelty of being able to eat like I used to has worn off now and I need to go back to basics.

The consultant seemed to be saying I will need surgery to reposition it but theres a chance I could wake up from it and find out they have decided to remove it which scares the hell out of me!

This weight gain has made me realise my band WAS working and I totally took it for granted.

Hopefully he will get back to me and say I can start filling slowly again without surgery since its a slight slip...

Good luck with this

Two and a Had weeks ago I had a band slip and my band required to be removed My band was only fitted for 14 months and I am actually still paying for it. A huge disappointment. I know how scary it is to be out there without that WLS tool. Try to hang on by your fingernails to maintain your weight loss until they decide what's to be done

Good luck again xxxxx

Hi I had same surgeon under THG and have read about three others who have too on here and we've all had same problems! I had a slip caused by pouch dilation I had a complete defil and rest for three months it went back in position but unfortunately when refilled did it again I had a reposition last January and like you was warned I may wake up without my band I didn't but then when it was filled again I have now developed oesophageal dilation and am empty again after three years of hell I've had enough and am taking out another loan which I will struggle with and converting to a sleeve after another three month rest I hope you have more luck then me I had help from the NHS with the problems but if you are having to pay for it all I would consider other options as I think once problems start they can for some continue if I can be of any help let me know good luck x

I'm another one who had band problems. After years of it not working and my health deteriorating it was discovered it had migrated/eroded through my stomach and the contents were slowly leaking into my Peritoneum leading to a near-fatal Peritonitis. It was resolved with emergency surgery and a few months later I had a bypass. I totally wish I had just had a bypass to start with.

Well I have been in contact with the NHS consultant and he thinks I may have a small erosion :( have to go for an endoscopy in the next few weeks and then it may need to be removed.

I am beyond gutted if it gets removed. I am still paying off the loan for the band and cannot afford further surgery.

Why has this happened to me?! Is it caused by something I have done wrong?

No probably not unfortunately some of us are just unlucky so don't beat yourself up I followed all the rules and mines gone wrong twice try not to worry until you know they may be able to save it for you
Good luck x

Ps reading your previous posts you said you may qualify for a conversion which is brill as NHS Manchester won't do it with a bmi under 4o mines 35 I'm having to take another loan to convert to sleeve so look at that option as well x

Back