• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Defill advice needed please.

Happydays

Hi everyone. I was banded 9 months ago and have lost 6 stones. So far so good! It's certainly not been easy but a heck of a lot easier than life without a band. Anyway.....5 weeks ago I picked up a nasty flu which put me in bed for a week. This was followed by an even nastier bronchitic cough that lasted for 2 weeks. For some obscure reason this caused my already quite tight band to tighten. Eventually I could keep no solid food down and required an urgent defill. This was done 6 days ago and my excellent surgeon said that I would "put on a few pounds" :eek: I decided to prove him wrong and stick to low carb which I have done - perfectly !!!!! Alas after 6 days the scales show a 3 lb gain :eek: I can only surmise that I was quite dehydrated after the band tightening but I feel psychologically distraught and it makes resisting the biscuit tin even harder. My band is loose now and I could eat a lot. I only have 1 1/2 stones to lose now and each pound is an effort. I really really do not want to slip. I am awaiting an appointment for an x- ray check but that may be weeks away. Any comments, advice, support, anything would be great.

Hi everyone. I was banded 9 months ago and have lost 6 stones. So far so good! It's certainly not been easy but a heck of a lot easier than life without a band. Anyway.....5 weeks ago I picked up a nasty flu which put me in bed for a week. This was followed by an even nastier bronchitic cough that lasted for 2 weeks. For some obscure reason this caused my already quite tight band to tighten. Eventually I could keep no solid food down and required an urgent defill. This was done 6 days ago and my excellent surgeon said that I would "put on a few pounds" :eek: I decided to prove him wrong and stick to low carb which I have done - perfectly !!!!! Alas after 6 days the scales show a 3 lb gain :eek: I can only surmise that I was quite dehydrated after the band tightening but I feel psychologically distraught and it makes resisting the biscuit tin even harder. My band is loose now and I could eat a lot. I only have 1 1/2 stones to lose now and each pound is an effort. I really really do not want to slip. I am awaiting an appointment for an x- ray check but that may be weeks away. Any comments, advice, support, anything would be great.

Hey there

Sorry 2 hear u been feeling under the weather and your provider was quite right to give u a de-fill due to ur condition at the time of not being able to eat solids at all, but please also bare in mind that when we don't eat our bodies hold on to that extra fat ( starvation mode) as it never knows when/where the next meal is coming from.

You prob feel a bit disheartened because you been on this journey to lose weight but have gained instead, what I would suggest is keep out of the biscuit tin and stick to what you know works and if after a period of time ( how ever long you want to give it) call them to arrange for them to put the fill back in u had taken out due to you being unwell and then the pounds will start to come off.

It is quite demoralizing I would think to know that your doing everything u should to get the weight off but gaining instead, lets hope this is just blip because of you not eating food and your body will catch up in time and u start to lose again - Wishing you all the best - Julie xxx

Hi Julie and thanks for your response. It was just after I had the flu and was unable to eat solid food that my (up until then good) weight loss stalled so yes it probably has something to do with it. At my xray appointment they will put some fluid in my band as long as all is well inside.I am just an impatient person and obviously still afraid of failing with this.
PS Have avoided the biscuit tin like the plague!

Just had my xray appointment letter arrive and it's on 9th September. The doctor who does the fills is great and really does listen to what you say.Obviously he will be checking to see that my band is still properly in place but there will be no problem in getting a reasonable fill. At the moment, although I have 5cc in a 9cc band I feel little restriction at all and believe me I could put on a LOT of weight in 3 weeks! :rolleyes: The band is great for me cos it really dims an excessive appetite. I really do not want to put on tons of weight. Every little bit off was so hard won. Sooooo I am dieting as hard as I can.

Back