• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Emmaroos Milk diet thread

Emmaroo

Milky
So I just went to my first apt with the Mr Cheruvu and Proff Clayton.

He went through all my history but then said he won't be able to do anything for me unless I lost two stone. He put me on the milk diet and told me to ring his secutary when I've lost two stone and he'd see me within a few weeks.

I was quite upset at this point, and couldn't understand why he was putting me on the milk diet until I asked properly and it turns out he meant he'd be able to do the surgery within a few weeks after I'd lost 2 stone on the milk diet!!!!!!!

So at 23st 11, how long do you think it will take me to lose 2 stone and what/how much should I be eating??

weeeeeeee excited but shocked. I had no idea I could be getting it within a month or so.

Hi Emma
Thats great news congratulations. Can't really give you advice as i didnt do the milk diet pre op but everyone is an individual and we will all lose weight at a different rate so may be difficult to predict. Good luck with it and i hope you lose that weight as quickly as possible xx

everyones different hun so i dont think anyone could guess how long it will take you to lose that weight. i am a bit confused though because i don't know what the milk diet consists of, i had a 7 day preop yoghurt diet and could only eat yoghurt so it was a no brainer.
best of luck to you and looks like it wont be too long a wait for you.

Thanks chicks!

I'm so shocked, I didn't realise it could happen so fast. I've been waiting for this apt for 4 months and had all the endo and blood tests whilst waiting but I thought once I'd had this apt I'd have to go on a waiting list and get funding and stuff.

Its totally achievable but dont give yourself a time limit. Im happy to email you the pre op diet that the Whittington gave me - its 1000 calories a day but covers all food groups. I dropped 12 lbs in the first week (most was fluid mind)! The good news is that the bigger you are, the faster it comes off! pm me if you want the diet.

Pardon me if I am incorrect but I thought the whole point of the milk diet was to reduce the size of your liver for the operation, not to use it as a weight loss method (I know this is one of the upsides to this diet) but surely if your on the milk diet for a prolonged period this cannot be a good idea........(sorry if I got the wrong impression)

All the best - MeJulie xx

Did you not get a diet sheet for your milk diet?

Or am I getting confused, he wants you too lose 2.5 on a milk diet or lose the weight first then do milk diet?

As meJulie said, the milk diet is not for prelonged use.

Pardon me if I am incorrect but I thought the whole point of the milk diet was to reduce the size of your liver for the operation, not to use it as a weight loss method (I know this is one of the upsides to this diet) but surely if your on the milk diet for a prolonged period this cannot be a good idea........(sorry if I got the wrong impression)

All the best - MeJulie xx

Many NHS hospitals use the milk diet for weight loss as well. I know people who had their ops at L&D and did milk diet for months at a time.

Its not for a prolonged period (hopefully) my understanding is that when I've done this milk diet to lose weight (and shrink my liver) it'll be a few weeks until my op from that point. So I'm not sure if I'll be asked to continue on the milk diet or whatnot.

I got no diet sheet. He basically told me to have milk, soup and yoghurt lol

Usualy the heavier you are the faster you lose it,(that was meant in a kind way of course) but it wont take you long on the milk diet anyway. Kind regards Gail.x

He went through all my history but then said he won't be able to do anything for me unless I lost two stone. He put me on the milk diet and told me to ring his secutary when I've lost two stone and he'd see me within a few weeks.

I was quite upset at this point, and couldn't understand why he was putting me on the milk diet until I asked properly and it turns out he meant he'd be able to do the surgery within a few weeks after I'd lost 2 stone on the milk diet!!!!!!!

So at 23st 11, how long do you think it will take me to lose 2 stone and what/how much should I be eating??

weeeeeeee excited but shocked. I had no idea I could be getting it within a month or so.[/QUOTE]

When I did the milk diet is was only two weeks but was pretty strict (it didn't allow soups) so I'm not sure that this is the right one for you but it basically consists of 2 pints of milk and two small low fat, low cal yoghurts per day plus a LOT of water (inc tea, coffee, squash etc).

I imagine that someone will be along soon who has had to do exactly the same thing as you and will be much more helpful!

You need to phone back and ask what ratio of milk etc you need as I was on 3pts at 17stone but I know girls that were 20st had 4pints and upward so it is important that you know they wouldnt just say drink milk soup and yoghurt they must have a diet sheet, please phone back and ask for this as it is vital to you at this stage to get it right.
I lost 17lbs in 3 weeks, I know one of the girls on here who like me is Luton lost 2st 2lbs in her four weeks she was 24 stone.
But you must phone please, as you also need to take an A-Z multivitamin every day to cover you for what you are not getting in food.
Sorry to be a pain but it is really important you get it right, you must have an attached dietician she will tell you what you should be having
good luck

Jay xx

You need to phone back and ask what ratio of milk etc you need as I was on 3pts at 17stone but I know girls that were 20st had 4pints and upward so it is important that you know they wouldnt just say drink milk soup and yoghurt they must have a diet sheet, please phone back and ask for this as it is vital to you at this stage to get it right.
I lost 17lbs in 3 weeks, I know one of the girls on here who like me is Luton lost 2st 2lbs in her four weeks she was 24 stone.
But you must phone please, as you also need to take an A-Z multivitamin every day to cover you for what you are not getting in food.
Sorry to be a pain but it is really important you get it right, you must have an attached dietician she will tell you what you should be having
good luck

Jay xx

Good Advice xx:D

I was on the milk diet under the obesity clinic at my local hospital for weight loss. It consisted on 5 pts of semi-skimmed milk, 1-2 oxo cubes, 1 pt of sugar free jelly, 1-2 fybogel and a sanatogen gold multi vitamin tablet. I lost 3 stone in 3 months. Good luck hope it won't be long until you get it.

Forgot to add 2 pts of sugar free squash, water or diet drinks.

Last edited:
It seems Milk diets vary from hospital to hospital. I was given this one.

1 Pint of semi-skimmed milk
4 small cans of weight watcher soup or other diet soup
4 muller lite yoghurts or other diet yoghurts
2 or more pints of low calorie (no added sugar or diet varity) soft drinks
Tea of coffee using milk allowance ( use sweeteners no sugar)
Flavoured water (sugar free)
Lettuce, cucumber, celery, radish, beansprouts (no salad dressing)
3 Pieces of sugar free gum
1 Sanatogen Gold Multi vitamin tablet

Hiya, I am under Mr Cheruvu at the Nuffield Hospital.

He told me to go on a liquid diet for 2 weeks prior to the op, which he said should consist of skimmed milk, bovril and low fat yogurt, nothing else, he didn't say in what quantities though.
In them 2 weeks I lost 18lbs I was 18 stones at the time!!

The only advice I would give with Mr Cheruvu is to check then double check again what he expects of you prior to the op and afterwards. He is very friendly just doesn't always make himself clear.

Good luck with your weight loss and Liver shrinking !!!
x x x

oh wow thats great news hun woop woop that will fly over in no time im not sure how much peeps lose on the milk diet but i have heard cases where they have lost between 7lb and 1 stone in a week to a fortnight so ya never know you might lose the 2 stone in the 4wks gud luck and i hop eyou do lose it hun hugs lin.x

Back