• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Failed on the milk diet - Now what?

Emmaroo

Milky
I've posted before about being offered the surgery so long as I managed to lose 2 stone on the milk diet. I've not manage it yet, in fact I'm still in exactly the same place.

So what now? He basically said he wouldn't be able to help me unless I did so. So is that the end for me? He didn't give me a time limit, so do I just keep trying over and over until I suceed? Or do you think after X amount of time I'll be taken off the list?

What if I can't manage it? I've been trying since october 19th now. I've managed to put back on the majority of the weight I lost and for some reason can't even stick to the diet for a day now. :(

it is all about mindset hunny you really have to put your mind to it and want it badly then all seems to fall into place. Keep telling yourself you are worth this opportunity for life changing surgey and if you stick to the milk diet the 2 stone should fall away quite easy. I know it is hard to do put keep thinking food or operation food or operation and keep pushing yourself that little bit further and before you know it you will be there. Hope this helps hun and the very best of luck to you. Keep us informed and remember we are all here to support you at any time just pop on and chat away we will help you through it xxx

Have you thought about maybe doing a low cal diet?
my pre op was 1000 cals a day, and low carbs.

I lost 11lbs in 10 days.

Maybe try that for 2 weeks, then switch to a milk diet for 2 weeks.

I know its hard hun, but if you truely want this op, you need to do it. Chin up and Good Luck!!!

.x.

Hi Emma

I know you are trying your hardest to stick to the milk diet and its not an easy thing to do, but firstly all the times u have tried in the past and failed, do not worry about those wipe those from your mind and start a fresh.

I been dieting on and off for abouts 3 years now , and each time I start that "cycle" again , I dont think about the times I have given up or not managed to stick at it I just pick myself up and get on with it (easier sed then done ) So what I do is.....I never ever say "right I am starting tomorrow, you have to talk yourself (if thats the right word) into starting the milk diet. I start by working out if I have any functions/parties/special occasions where I know I will be having alcohol/ nawty foods etc, because trust me If u know you are going to a function etc , you will be tempted and if your mindset isnt in the right place to do this milk diet , YOU WILL most definately fail, With the festivities looming , perhaps this isnt the best time to start the milk diet(just an idea hun) , as you sed ur doc hasnt given you a time limit to lose the weight, so why not give your mind time to prepare to start again, say 2nd Jan etc and you can get your mind into the right frame on mind and prepare mentally better, and dont forget to take each day as it comes with the milk diet and before you know it u will be wondering wot all the fuss was about and u will be 28lbs lighter and surgeon will operate like u sed.........Its all about the power of the mind! ! you have tremendous support on this site day & night, dont feel your alone, YOU CAN DO IT !!!!!!!!! x x x

All the best - from a waffling Me Julie xx

I think I could easily do a diet under 1000cals a day but mr Cheruvu told me it HAD to be the milk diet. I've been trying now for 2 months. I know how I need to stick to it but I'm finding it impossible.

I've just written him a letter. How do you think it sounds? I will keep trying of course. I think I'll start a low cal diet, and just not tell lol

Dear Mr Cheruvu,

I saw yourself and professor Clayton on the 19th of October about a gastric bypass operation. You told me that you would be happy to go ahead with the operation as long as I managed to lose two stones on a milk diet. In the two months which have followed I have been struggling to lose this amount. At first, I managed to lose seventeen pounds and was doing very well. Since then, however, I have been struggling greatly and have now regained some of that amount.

At first I found it easy because two stone didn’t seem like a vast amount to have to lose, but as the days went by I found it harder and harder to stick to the diet. I am fine with not eating in the day time but it is in the evenings that I find it impossible. Due to this, I am writing to implore you to please find some way to help me. I have been struggling with this for 12 years and whilst I am reasonably healthy at the moment, I don’t want to end up in a situation where my life is put even further at risk.

I know that in some other areas patients are given an operation date and put on a milk diet for a few weeks beforehand to shrink the liver. Would it be possible to do that for me? I understand that should I not stick to this the operation would not go ahead but this seems like a better option for me rather than an indefinite milk diet.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Hi Emma

I know you are trying your hardest to stick to the milk diet and its not an easy thing to do, but firstly all the times u have tried in the past and failed, do not worry about those wipe those from your mind and start a fresh.

I been dieting on and off for abouts 3 years now , and each time I start that "cycle" again , I dont think about the times I have given up or not managed to stick at it I just pick myself up and get on with it (easier sed then done ) So what I do is.....I never ever say "right I am starting tomorrow, you have to talk yourself (if thats the right word) into starting the milk diet. I start by working out if I have any functions/parties/special occasions where I know I will be having alcohol/ nawty foods etc, because trust me If u know you are going to a function etc , you will be tempted and if your mindset isnt in the right place to do this milk diet , YOU WILL most definately fail, With the festivities looming , perhaps this isnt the best time to start the milk diet(just an idea hun) , as you sed ur doc hasnt given you a time limit to lose the weight, so why not give your mind time to prepare to start again, say 2nd Jan etc and you can get your mind into the right frame on mind and prepare mentally better, and dont forget to take each day as it comes with the milk diet and before you know it u will be wondering wot all the fuss was about and u will be 28lbs lighter and surgeon will operate like u sed.........Its all about the power of the mind! ! you have tremendous support on this site day & night, dont feel your alone, YOU CAN DO IT !!!!!!!!! x x x

All the best - from a waffling Me Julie xx

Thank you. This does seem like a good plan. I usually just say - right thats it, no more eating from tomorrow - and then try and get on with it.

I think I shall try and follow a low cal diet up until Jan and then get myself ready and prepared to do the milk diet. I may start slowly replacing meals with milk in the run up. :)

Hi Emma

Is there a particular reason they have suggested the milk diet, rather than another alternative. The hosptial I am under set me a weight loss target too but have been happy to put me on the list as i have now lost some weight but not all of it. They actually suggested that I just eat healthly and cut out the snacking.

Could you ask your surgeon if you are able to do 4 x light yoghurts and milk rather than just milk or maybe 4 x cans of WW soups and 4 x light yoghurts as these are also other forms of pre-op very low calorie diets.

Try not to see yourself as failing and just think ok I have had a bit of a blip but I am going to do this again and before you know it you will be on the list.

Heaven forbid the good doctor read this, but can't you do the low cal diet and just do the milk bit for a week or so once you've hit the 2 stone mark? I mean most pct's put us on the milk diet for a couple of weeks before hand to shrink the liver so you'll have done your 2 week liver shrink and who's to know differently? You'll have the result you need, the dr will have the weight loss he wants and everyone is happy :) good luck xxx

Good letter. Hope you manage to sort this as an extended period on the milk diet is very cruel. Most of us have a tough time for the week or so before the op. doing it for an indeterminate period of time must be really really tough.

X

The only way I got throught the milk diet was to tell myself that I only had to do it that one day. I kept telling myself this and got through the full 10 days with just 1 boiled egg halfway through as a controlled cheat.

Good luck.

Hi sweetheart. What is the milk dietr you've been given?. Some consist of just milk others include yoghurt and some even include sugar free jelly.I stuggled with the milk and yoghurt diet because I'm diebetic so I made some veg soup and substituted 1 pint of milk for a mug of the homemade soup. I managed to lose over a stone in 2 weeks doing this. I did'nt have the soup in one go either.I had half a mug at lunch time and the other half at bed time so did'nt feel hungry when I went to bed.x

One day milk diet, one day low cal, keep to that and you should be ok.
I WENT TO BED EARLY IF I GOT HUNGERY AT NIGHT.
I made myself coffee milk shakes (yummy).
Good luck sue.

Hi,

Okay I think you need to lose some weight in what ever way you can, so if you can do low-cal go with that. Get a decent amount off even if you dont make the 2 stone and then go back and see him again. You can show that you are determined I think that is what it's all about. Then you can explain that you struggled with the milk diet but have lost weight to demonstrate your determination. They're testing your 'compliance' which is partly what pre-op diets are used for.

The other thing is how much do you want this surgery? I messed about losing and gaining while I waited for an op date and in the end I had to give myself a talking to and realise that if I didnt sort myself out how could I expect a surgeon to take me seriously. I'm sorry if that sounds a bit harsh.

Back