• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Esophagus dilation

Julcsi

Hi all
Over 4 years banded. Went to GP with bad reflux symptoms at night in May. Meds didnt work then GP referred me to have barium x ray. It showed that my esophagus is 4x its normal width above band. Then they sent me to the local NHS surgeon who emptied band and I will have another x ray in October then another checkup with the surgeon.
If you had this before, does it shrink back after a few months? Can it still be filled?
Thanks

Hi. Welcome. Sorry to hear about your experience. I'm sure someone here will give you the information you need. Good luck

I don't know if an oesophagus shrinks back, it's not very stretchy so it must have stretched over a period time when food wouldn't go through your band and backed up. I hope it gets sorted though as it sounds pretty unpleasant x

I don't know if an oesophagus shrinks back, it's not very stretchy so it must have stretched over a period time when food wouldn't go through your band and backed up. I hope it gets sorted though as it sounds pretty unpleasant x
You know. I wish they told people on all these things that could happen before the band. I had a band then had to pay privately again to have a sleeve. Whereas I would have been happy to pay for a sleeve to start of with and not have such problems.

I know all these things can happen unfortunately.
I hope it sorts itself out soon and I dont gain weight in the meantime.
Are you pleased with your sleeve? I dont think i can have a sleeve now that it has been stretched

It does go back to a normal size don't worry. Have seen a lot of these at work with people who have had a band. It usually resolves after the band is removed so the food doesn't start to fill up above the tightened area. You would be able to have a sleeve done also as quite a few have had conversions following this as they take over 75% stomach away so it isn't a constricted pouch at the top part of the stomach x hope that helps

Thank you very much. It is reassuring.
It does go back to a normal size don't worry. Have seen a lot of these at work with people who have had a band. It usually resolves after the band is removed so the food doesn't start to fill up above the tightened area. You would be able to have a sleeve done also as quite a few have had conversions following this as they take over 75% stomach away so it isn't a constricted pouch at the top part of the stomach x hope that helps

Back