• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Time to Face Facts

Monalisa

Hi
Some of you will have heard bits of my story but I am now at a crossroads and need help
I was privately banded with James halstead via the hospital group in December 2010 at a weight of 18 stone 12 I'm 5 ft 6 1/2 I was very successful and lost six stone in just over two years taking me to 12 stone 12 . I loved my band
Alas then the problems started vomiting reflux etc etc I spent well over a year begging for help I was under a gastroenterologist who claimed also to be a bariatric he put a camera down my throat after refusing me a barium X-ray diagnosed grade 2 oesophagitis and possibily a hernia which was never confirmed as they couldn't get the camera far enough down. Was assured my band was ok but had a slight deflation and was eventually discharged
Soon after the problems began again and eventually I ended up at Salford hospital under the bariatric team who immediately xrayed me and confirmed a big pouch dilation which had obviously been left untreated all this time they tried a complete Defil for three months but it slipped again when they tried to refil. So I had a band reposition on the NHS in January this year.
Back to square one I followed all the rules a little concerned that at my first post op X-ray they said I was showing signs of oesophageal dysmotility reassured not to worry I continued. As my fills progressed things didn't seem right once again I could either eat any thing or the tiniest amount would see me vomiting for a week on water. So back to X-ray I went last week and have now been diagnosed with oesopheagul dilation which is frightening me and making me cough at night I have to wait four weeks to see if they are going to empty rest and refil again! Throughout all these problems I regained 4 stone and have only managed to lose 1 1/2 stone of that. Am currently at a weight of 15 stone 7 approx bmi 35.
It seems all the the NHS will offer me is a band removal although some on here seem to have been lucky and got a conversion on medical grounds, my current surgeon favours the bypass but thinks I probably won't qualify
So back to now on Monday I went privately to see a consultant who feels my band days are over so I'm now sat here contemplating bye bye bertie band
He has recommended a sleeve for me which he said he will design so it is not tight so as to work around my problems and he will search for and repair the hernia he suspects I have .He has ruled out the MGB as he says I am at risk of refluxing bile as well as acid yuck! And he feels the full bypass too invasive at my BMI plus I am already aneamic and b12 deficient this is obviously in complete contrast to my NHS surgeons opinions who doesn't recommend the sleeve.
So as well as wondering where the hell im going to find the money my head is totally up my a..e!!! If you've made it to the end of this ramble you deserve a drink if you can help me I'll get you two
So sorry to go on but I just don't know what on earth to do!

Last edited:
Hello monalisa
great login , I wish you the very best of luck in all you wish for

Sounds like you've had a terrible time sorry to hear that. I cant tell you what to decide but maybe you could seek a 3rd opinion. You can usually get private consultations for free. I would also speak to your gp about trying the nhs route you dont know until you try but it can be a lenghty process so if your looking for a quick fix then private is best but expensive. I hope you get everything sorted. Good luck

Kirsty xx

Sorry about your issues! I had my sleeve with mr Halstead privately, I hope you get sorted x

My story is similar yours. I converted to Mgb, I know that you can have mild reflux with mgb but as far as I am aware the sleeve has a very high risk of reflux/acid problems especially if you have a history so I am confused as to why your surgeon thinks that's the best course of action (obviously I am not a medical professional though but it goes against any surgeon I have consulted)
Just because you have a low BMI doesn't mean you should discount bypass after all we are all looking for a life long permenant change. I lost 8 stone with my band 8 years ago regained 4.5 converted to mgb in feb and am now at goal (9st 9) good luck I really feel for you xx

I hope they are able to sort things for you this is what I fear with the band that I will eventually encounter problems. X eeeek x

Hi
Thanks to those who commented my posts always seem to get lost along the way on here
Think I'm go to take my chances and pay privately for a sleeve really don't fancy the bypass hope to god I'm lucky this time as I can't afford anymore expensive mistakes. My band is being deflated on Monday and has to be empty for three months to let my oesophagus return to normal. If anyone has any other advice be appreciated x

Hey Monalisa

If I was in your position I'd get a 3rd opinion from another private consultant, weigh up the three and take a decision from that. It looks like whatever you do on the NHS will involve a long wait, which isn't much fun if you have the complications you have so I don't blame you for looking at the private route.

Best of luck with whichever route you choose to take.

Thank you I rang another they suggested the MGB sure they must all have a preferred op I felt most comfortable with Mr Li who went through all my medical history looked at all three options and says he can make a sleeve that will suit me so think I'm going to go that way and hope for the best x

Just read you post on my diary - what a bummer Good luck. I am still paying for my band and will be for a couple of years. No way I can go for another private op :-( or I could sell the house I suppose ;-)

Hi kursty
Excuse the language but it is **** and I feel at mo it always happens to me! Everything seems to be going wrong at mo work changing my contract to crap hours my son hitting 18 and be hard work lol!! And just being on my own and generally lonely my husband walked out years ago cos of my weight gain having been very cruel. Think I'm just go to have to bite the bullet and get it done it but the loan will cripple me x

If the op will
Make you feel good and if there is a way to manage it..... Then go for it. You are worth it

You wouldn't think twice if it was something your son needed

I'm so sorry to hear you are lonely my love. You never know what's just around the corner if you have the confidence to reach for it.....get the op! Xxxxxxxx

Thanks kursty
Lovely words I'm go to go for it and worry about it after life's too short and just hope its first step back on road to happiness xxx

Back