• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I've gone from 12.5mls, to missing mls to zero mls :(

top_kat

I had my follow up at HW yesterday to check my band leak.

She emptied it and I'm missing 0.8mls of fluid again, so it does seem to ongoing suggest there's a leak.

I discussed the issues I'm having with acid and reflux and the fact that while I can eat food, it goes past band etc that it reacts in stomach and I'm sick. The being sick inflames the stomach and increases the risk of strangulation or the band embedding itself into the stomach itself so that's not great either.

So, we need to let the acid issues settle and give the medication time to work, so she was hoping to empty half out, but advised that I needed the band completely emptied to allow medication to work and to stop the burning of the oesophagus. Acid is a sign that the band was too tight, but she cannot understand why if it's so tight I can still eat normally inc bread and pasta.

It's possible that the pouch has stretched (I said to her I've worked so hard on my portion sizes and don't eat large portions even tho I can and always have done) but they can't do or see anything until any swellings gone down from inflammation from sickness and acid etc

So, the band has been emptied completely, I've got to go back to bland liquids (shakes or milk which as I don't do shakes means milk lol) for 7 days but if the acid etc doesn't settle down over weekend then to phone Monday and they will do emergency X-ray check on Tuesday. If it has settled down then they want me to remain empty in the band for 3-4 weeks and then have my fill done by X-ray which will show any leaks, show it's in the right place, check the pouch size and see if it's embedded or any issues so they can then go from there. At that point I've then got to start building up fills.

It's a nightmare as I'm only 5 months left of aftercare fill package and with the vets bills just taken my savings I shall struggle to pay for another aftercare package.

But she feels the acid and stomach issues are band related, I asked her all the things the doc mentioned and she said that the GP was right, and to see how it goes and if not ask go to book endoscopy while it's emptied anyway just to check, although I can't see my Getting in within 3 weeks :-/

I feel as if I've gone steps backwards and feel really disappointed. She said she understood my feelings when this far in I have no restriction, and have had such issues and keep losing fluid and having these issues, but she had expected me to put on weight with all of this so she said it reflected my dedication and motivation and that if I stick to it having the band empty shouldn't set me back weight loss wise. I said I'd do milk for 3 weeks lol

Even over past few weeks with what I've been able to eat (ie ryvita, butter and milk) she thought I'd have gained but told her I'm not going back that way. So

I've gone from having 12.5mls, to losing mls, to no mls. :(

Hi Kat
So sorry to hear it's all more complicated than you hoped!!!
But surely as this issue is on going & commenced well within your aftercare time that they would have to honour treatment????
If they had reacted sooner, you could have had a bit more time perhaps....maybe worth asking???xx

((((((Hugs)))))) hun I hope you and your team get to the bottom of it soon. You have worked so hard to get where you have tcat so fingers crossed they act quickly on this. Xx

As Clare says they should honour the fact that you have problems within your aftercare time at they need to sort out for you. I would keep on top of this as I would hate you to have problems that need to be sorted which could be costly

Is it worth asking if your surgeon would consider an nhs referral from your gp? as your having medical issues now?

Hi Kat
So sorry to hear it's all more complicated than you hoped!!!
But surely as this issue is on going & commenced well within your aftercare time that they would have to honour treatment????
If they had reacted sooner, you could have had a bit more time perhaps....maybe worth asking???xx

I've not gone into the ins and outs of this yet with them as it was a bit of a shock that they decided to empty the band. I certainly will tho lol

Is it worth asking if your surgeon would consider an nhs referral from your gp? as your having medical issues now?

I will if necessary but I can't see it happening to be honest, their initial response when I asked for Wls she laughed! :-/

But I was the one kinda smiling last week when I sat there and told her I'd lost 11 stone 2 lol

But it's a strange feeling having the band empty, all the muscles inside have relaxed, I've got deferred muscle pain now in my back from where it being emptied has just relaxed my insides. On day 3 of liquids of 7 and the hunger has kicked in tonight but I think it's not been helped by 2 hours of lawn mowing and a 90 minute hill hike lol

I really hope they get to the bottom of your band troubles soon TC hope the fluids go ok and the huger pangs stay at bay!! So you've been doing your own 'pretty muddy walk' today :) x x x hugs

I will if necessary but I can't see it happening to be honest, their initial response when I asked for Wls she laughed! :-/

But I was the one kinda smiling last week when I sat there and told her I'd lost 11 stone 2 lol

But it's a strange feeling having the band empty, all the muscles inside have relaxed, I've got deferred muscle pain now in my back from where it being emptied has just relaxed my insides. On day 3 of liquids of 7 and the hunger has kicked in tonight but I think it's not been helped by 2 hours of lawn mowing and a 90 minute hill hike lol

Would definitely still ask hon. You did say that she seemed more positive the last time you saw her. All you need is the referral to the hospital - you don't need funding for an op so she may consider it.

I can imagine it must be wierd!

been reading your last log
im so sorry to read of your woes
I can only hope that things get better for you very soon
x

Top kat, I really admire your determination, you are such a determined and dedicated bandit.
hope it gets sorted out soon!

sorry to hear your problems, ive mentioned before ive had nothing but problems, ive had no weight loss since june 2013, i too have got to have my band emptied on tuesday, im so disapointed in my progress it makes me want to cry with all the money it cost me with the hospital group,im just going backwards i wish i had gone for the bypass, but im not giving up i will keep trying, and i hope you get things sorted out with your band

it's not easy.

I'm currently considering not having my band filled at all, I've lost via the WW plan and I'm still currently on it and it's worked for me as I've lost all I have following that plan along with focussing on protein.

For the first time since having my band, I'm not feeling hungry, and my band is empty, I mean how weird is that? Lol

Have all the issues you were having gone as a result of the band being emptied?

sorry to hear your problems, ive mentioned before ive had nothing but problems, ive had no weight loss since june 2013, i too have got to have my band emptied on tuesday, im so disapointed in my progress it makes me want to cry with all the money it cost me with the hospital group,im just going backwards i wish i had gone for the bypass, but im not giving up i will keep trying, and i hope you get things sorted out with your band

I am not here very often. What is wrong with your band?

Have all the issues you were having gone as a result of the band being emptied?

It is hard to tell if it is because of the band being emptied or because of the amount of medication I am on. Although on the couple of times I've forgotten to take the omeprazole the acid hasn't hit, but then, I'm only on milk and water so it's hard to know how food will react with my stomach.

But, for the first few days after the band was emptied I had a lot of deferred muscle pain and I think its just where it has relaxed all of my insides from not being filled.

It is just a huge relief to not have to sleep perched against the headboard! And feeling crap after having a cup of tea.

I've started a 6 week personal training session course as of yesterday, and going back to running as well as completely logging what I take in via my WW app. I am determined that by the end of April I will have lost 90% of my weight (161lb) and that I will NOT gain while my band is emptied.

I am going to use these three weeks of it being empty to see how it goes. I've not had or found restriction from my band and if I can keep losing following WW plan like I've done all the way through, then I will do that to get me as close to target as possible. And take this time to consider if I want anything put into the band at all. Or whether to go for it semi filled although I know I need to have some fill as they need to determine whether it is leaking and if so, have it replaced before my cover runs out.

In some ways, I feel disappointed that the band hasn't worked as it should. But I cannot be disappointed in that I've lost over 11 stones just by it being there and the motivation and control it has given back to my life.

It is hard to tell if it is because of the band being emptied or because of the amount of medication I am on. Although on the couple of times I've forgotten to take the omeprazole the acid hasn't hit, but then, I'm only on milk and water so it's hard to know how food will react with my stomach. But, for the first few days after the band was emptied I had a lot of deferred muscle pain and I think its just where it has relaxed all of my insides from not being filled. It is just a huge relief to not have to sleep perched against the headboard! And feeling crap after having a cup of tea. I've started a 6 week personal training session course as of yesterday, and going back to running as well as completely logging what I take in via my WW app. I am determined that by the end of April I will have lost 90% of my weight (161lb) and that I will NOT gain while my band is emptied. I am going to use these three weeks of it being empty to see how it goes. I've not had or found restriction from my band and if I can keep losing following WW plan like I've done all the way through, then I will do that to get me as close to target as possible. And take this time to consider if I want anything put into the band at all. Or whether to go for it semi filled although I know I need to have some fill as they need to determine whether it is leaking and if so, have it replaced before my cover runs out. In some ways, I feel disappointed that the band hasn't worked as it should. But I cannot be disappointed in that I've lost over 11 stones just by it being there and the motivation and control it has given back to my life.

Your story and strength amazes me, inspire all this you have changed your mindset and used it to change your health for the best, I love easing your posts. Very honest.

You inspire me massively ---- well done top Kate xxxx

Oh what a nightmare, I just hope they get this all worked out before your aftercare runs out. Have they discussed what support they can offer if there is a leak or slip.
HW are very good tho. I know a guy who had some issues I'm not 100% sure what they were but he had a revision to a sleeve and I'm sure they did it as a good will gesture. I just hope they support you .. Thinking of you xx

sorry TK ive only just caught up with this! oh my days i truly feel for you! However your sheer strength and determination will see you through this, You are so so focused! I hope that the medication and emptying of your band will ease things.

What will you do now if you dont have your band filled again? Would you be looking into having it removed? x

Back