• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Excess weight

I just worked out what the ideal bmi is of someone my height and I'm going for roughly that (I'm 5ft6 so its 11 stone roughly for me) don't know if I'm doing it right but that's what I've done lol :) x

i just put my weight now and the weight i want to be and subtracted the bit in between, but there are free b.m.i. charts on line. xxx

Ow do u work out your excess weight that u need to lose ?

Doctors and bariatric professionals calculate your excess as all the weight above BMI of 25.

Therefore at my height of 5'7" to reach BMI of 25 I need to weight 160 lbs (= 11 stone 6 lbs).

Therefore currently my excess weight is:

-- current weight ........... 297 lbs (21 stone 3 lbs)
-- LESS bmi 25 wgt ....... 160 lbs
=====================
Excess weight carried ..... 137 lbs

Doctors do this for a reason in that BMI of 25 is the upper limit on the "healthy weight" bracket.

Bariatric surgeons do not always expect us ALL to lose 100% excess weight ..... often they are quite satisfied and treat the operation as a success if we lose in the region of 80% of our excess and end up with a BMI below 30 (any BMI between 25 - 29 is just "overweight" not obese).

However, there are many who do lose 95% - 100% of their excess weight and even a few post-oppers on here who have lost 103% excess weight -- that happens when a person goes below BMI of 25 and manages to achieve a new BMI of, say, 23 or similar.

Just fill in your weight details on your "user CP" and it will do it for you on the left hand side of the page LOL

Back