• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Exercise after surgery...................

Meggie

............I know it'll take time to heal etc after surgery, but I was just wondering how long it took for people to start exercising more aggressively (e.g. going swimming, going to the gym, running etc). One of my goals for 2010 is to run a 5k (or ideally) a 10k race. I have completed two 5 k races in the past but wasn't able to run the whole race for either. Obviously I know the more weight I lose the easier it will be! I want to sign up to a race so I have some motivation post-op!!!

I will obviously be seeking the advice of the lovely people at the Whit, and will also listen to my body when it comes to the time, but thought I'd ask you guys first as the immense amount of knowledge you all possess just ceases to amaze me!!!

all depends on your surgery type, i had open surgery, so this affected me for a tad longer, i was told 12 weeks by the surgeon, but was back at the gym within a month just taking it very easy walking on the treadmill fo approx 15 mins, i'm now back to full tilt, bar abdominal exercises, i have a large hernia since surgery, whether i had it before or it's come on since i don't know, but i'm careful with what i do, be guided in whatever you decide by your surgical team and any gym instructors

8 weeks post op for 'aggressive' exercise like gym or swim but as soon as you feel up to it for walking etc!

Thanks hun!! That's good to know!! I'm determined to do this right so preparing myself now!!!

all depends on your surgery type, i had open surgery, so this affected me for a tad longer, i was told 12 weeks by the surgeon, but was back at the gym within a month just taking it very easy walking on the treadmill fo approx 15 mins, i'm now back to full tilt, bar abdominal exercises, i have a large hernia since surgery, whether i had it before or it's come on since i don't know, but i'm careful with what i do, be guided in whatever you decide by your surgical team and any gym instructors

I'm having my bypass done laproscopically so hopefully I'll be able to something quite quickly. I think I'd be too terrified of really damaging something to push myself too quickly anyway, but good to have an idea of how quickly others got back to it! I used to actually enjoy running so can't wait to get to a point where I can do it without my knees killing me!!!

5 weeks after gastric band surgery i was told ok just no contact sport so started toning beds as have bad knees. All good lost 27 inches so far yeah!!

Your tum will let you know Meggie. I found that my upper back was hurting because of the extra effort it needed to put in because my stomach muscles were weak after surgery. I am 7 weeks post-op but have been playing racketball for 3 weeks and went back to squash this week. Fitness and stamina are increasing each week and have surprised my opponents by being able to get around the court much better :)

I got back on the cross trainer at the weekend - 9 weeks post op. Very nearly killed me though, in those 9 weeks I've become as unfit as an unfit fiddle can possibly be! :rolleyes:

Cuppa xx
Ps went swimming again at 6 weeks just took it easy.

Im nearly 3 weeks post op i had mine by keyhole surgery
and am just wondering about exercise as my surgery was done on my midrift if you know what i mean. Not sure how long i wait before starting something more strenuous, have been walking twice daily so far weather permitting, would really love to know when i can start somthing else:)

Sharon xx

Chocchucky I would say your best bet would be to discuss it with your surgeon or wls team at your next follow up appointment; different surgeons/teams/hosptials have different ideas of when it is safe to begin strenuous exercise again so it's probably best to get advice from them.

Cuppa xx

Thanks for that hun, am due to go to Luton for my 6 weeks followup on 1st February:)

Sharon xx

Exercise

Hi

I had Band on 10 March 2009 and was back on my road bike doing gentle pace 10 days later for one hour and then two hours next day
I avoided contact sports and gently over period of time built up intensity to include longer road bike sessions and spin classes at gym

Just take it steady at first
Got a dodgy knee so cant do run or squash etc but cycling is great cardio workout

Cheers

James

Hi there ;o)
Well I am now just over 10 weeks post opfrom a gastric bypass, today I walked 7k in the snow, ran 7k on the treadmill, the did 10 k on the exercise bike also did upper body and some weights, also went swimming for half an hour, I feel great and glad I waited a bit longer before going back to the fitness centre, I started off by walking alot more and often and picking up the pace.
You will know when your ready your body will let you know ;o)
Good luck xx x

Thanks all!!! Great and informative answers, as always!!!

xxxxxxxxxxx

Went back to gentle swimming, just 20 mins, 4 weeks after keyhole gastric bypass.

This was approved by bariatric nurse at Sunderland before I swam.

Was absolutely kn*ckered though lol!!

Went back to gentle swimming, just 20 mins, 4 weeks after keyhole gastric bypass.

This was approved by bariatric nurse at Sunderland before I swam.

Was absolutely kn*ckered though lol!!

I think I'll start by swimming. Can take it as easy as needs be then!!! I will try and start ASAP though (obviously will listen to my body though!!!).

Back