• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Exercise and arthritis

RoseA

I'm worried about how I'm going to exercise post-op as I have arthritis in my knees. We have a brand new swimming pool at the top of my road that is about to open and I am looking forward to using that, but it'll be a few weeks before I can swim. It doesn't have a gym. I've tried using our exercise bike but the pain was excruciating. I don't own a Wii. Any walking will involve going up and down steep hills (more pain) until I am driving again and can go somewhere flat !

I'm trying hard to be positive... any suggestions ?

Rose :wave_cry:

Rose, I dont have arthritis so I know its not the same, but I did have extremely painful knees at my heaviest and couldnt walk more than a couple of hundred yards without them screaming out in pain. I can honestly say that since about 4 or 5 months post op I have never had any pain from them and now I can run/walk almost 5k with no problems.

Swimming is good exercise in the early days (once your wounds have healed) as the water takes some of the pressure off your joints.

Take it slowly though hun, and listen to your body. There are many successful bypassers who have reached goal without ever exercising so try not to get too hung up on it.

Hope that helps hun x

Rose, I dont have arthritis so I know its not the same, but I did have extremely painful knees at my heaviest and couldnt walk more than a couple of hundred yards without them screaming out in pain. I can honestly say that since about 4 or 5 months post op I have never had any pain from them and now I can run/walk almost 5k with no problems.

Swimming is good exercise in the early days (once your wounds have healed) as the water takes some of the pressure off your joints.

Take it slowly though hun, and listen to your body. There are many successful bypassers who have reached goal without ever exercising so try not to get too hung up on it.

Hope that helps hun x

Thanks Sam - I've never been good at exercising but I know it will help minimise excess skin so I'd like to get into a routine ofdoing some as soon as I can.

Rose

Hi, I too have arthritis in most joints in my body including my knees. Swimming is the best for of exercise. You could also do aqua aerobics which is good too. Takes all the stress of your joints. I went to join the gym but was told that although I could use the equipment in the gym I wasnt allowed to put any weights on the equipment due to the arthritis and their insurance! Hope you go on ok love x

Thanks Deb - I was thinking about aqua aerobics too. I'll try and find out if they're planning to start any classes at the new pool. I'm a slow, steady swimmer... some years ago I used to swim half a mile twice a week before work. I stopped when I started working in central London because I couldn't fit it in with commuting, but now I have remote access I could do it on a work@home day.

I've been wondering whether I should buy a Wii too... what do people think ?

Rose

I am quite tempted to buy one (I'm a real gadget girl !) and I've just earned a bonus at work that would pay for it. I'm confused about all the different versions though... what's the difference between the Wii Fit, Wii Fit PLus, Wii Sports Resort, etc ??? What would you recommend - bearing in mind the arthritis will prevent me from doing some of the activities ?

Thanks !

Rose

What about pilates? My local private physiotherapist runs a pilates class specially for people with joint problems, maybe there is something like that close to you? Or a pilates class for everyone run by someone with some decent qualifications who will know how to handle arhtritus?

I have to admit, due to my disabilities I did practically no exercise while losing weight.

What about pilates? My local private physiotherapist runs a pilates class specially for people with joint problems, maybe there is something like that close to you? Or a pilates class for everyone run by someone with some decent qualifications who will know how to handle arhtritus?

I have to admit, due to my disabilities I did practically no exercise while losing weight.

I hadn't thought of Pilates... I'll need to do some research and see what's available locally.
Thanks ! :)

Rose

Wii bundle

Found a bundle consisting of Wii console + Wii Sports + Wii Fit Plus + Wii balance board, advertised for £249... sounds like a great price ?

Rose

RoseA I have arthritis in my knees and hips and unfortunately, the pain has got worse since my surgery and subsequent weight loss. I've lost almost 6 stone and I'm taking more painkillers now that I was pre surgery. I don't want to panic you by telling you this but just to let you know that sometimes the pain will take a while to go. I've mentioned the pain to my surgeon who says that my joints are inflamed due to the trauma of the surgery (I'm only 3 and half months post op) and my immune system being compromised. He has said that the pain will lessen the more weight I lose. I'm currently taking as much glucosamine, cod liver oil and omega oils to help.

I wish someone had told me this prior to my surgery.

RoseA I have arthritis in my knees and hips and unfortunately, the pain has got worse since my surgery and subsequent weight loss. I've lost almost 6 stone and I'm taking more painkillers now that I was pre surgery. I don't want to panic you by telling you this but just to let you know that sometimes the pain will take a while to go. I've mentioned the pain to my surgeon who says that my joints are inflamed due to the trauma of the surgery (I'm only 3 and half months post op) and my immune system being compromised. He has said that the pain will lessen the more weight I lose. I'm currently taking as much glucosamine, cod liver oil and omega oils to help.

I wish someone had told me this prior to my surgery.

Thanks Jaxx... I do appreciate your honesty and I recall reading that someone else here is experiencing the same too. I'm trying not to create any expectations for myself post-op. One of the main reasons I am having WLS is to reduce the strain on my knees but I must be patient and concentrate on one thing at a time. Good idea about the Glucosamine though.. I've got out of the habit of taking it, so will go buy some more.

Rose

I was looking at gym memberships earlier and our local one offers a wide range of low-impact fitness classes that would be ideal. I wonder whether you can find something local to you.

Various classes include pilates, yoga for beginners, tai chi, 'easy line' circuits (low impact resistance exercise) aqua aerobics and aquagym (non-weight bearing) all of which are ideal for people not used to exercise or have muscular/joint problems or in rehabilitation.

Last edited:
Thanks Twiggie. I don't think we have a gym locally, the nearest one is probably 5/6 miles away by car, but I'll have to make some enquiries.

Rose

I haven't done any exercising since my op!!

Partly due to being in so much pain after the op - the same back pain and arthritis I had before - though it did lessen as the weight came off. I don't consider my excess skin to be THAT bad though it isn't good - saggy, baggy and wrinkly that's me!!

BUT

my knee pain didnt lessen - in fact it got worse and as a result I've had double knee replacement - one Aug 09 one March 10 - but I still have lots of pain and stiffness

so although we have a Wii fit and I do recommend it - I dont do it very often - I recommend it because you can do what you can do when you can do it - I would do Aquafit if I could find a group for less well able people - but have failed so far in my area

I thought my pain would lessen post-op - and was disillusioned - but the weight-loss did mean I could have the knees replaced

Angela

Thanks Angela. One of the reasons I'm having WLS is so I can have a knee replacement - it was the knee surgeon who recommended me to the bariatic surgeon in the first place as he said he wouldn't contemplate doing a replacement at my weight.

I need to find out what classes they are going to run at our new pool as it's so close !

Rose

Rose
Tia chi is on of the best all round fitness routines and if you do it in water ( the pool) it is great. As soon as my scars have healed I am going to start.
Swimming and water arobics are also good but be careful when finishing that you sretch and relax the muscles as cramp hurts as you probably know
Good luck
Why are you not driving yet?

Rose
Tia chi is on of the best all round fitness routines and if you do it in water ( the pool) it is great. As soon as my scars have healed I am going to start.
Swimming and water arobics are also good but be careful when finishing that you sretch and relax the muscles as cramp hurts as you probably know
Good luck
Why are you not driving yet?

Thanks, I'd never thought of Tai Chi ! Oh and I am driving - I'm still pre-op ! :p I'm thinking ahead to when I'm off work afterwards and not able to get anywhere until I can drive again.

Rose

Back