• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Exercise? What kind can / do you do?

Brunetteandred

Officially a loser
I was prompted by another thread to ask this.

How many post-op banders/bypassers have taken on some form of exercise if they can? If so, what do you do?

And has it helped any?

Questions.. questions...! ;)

in my 1st 12 months i went to the gym that helped, also water aerobics is good when starting out as it takes the pressure off the joints

I go swimming once a week and walk for 30 mins everyday...I am going to ramp that up once Christmas is out of the way...

I might even take up orienteering with my fiance...:D

I am starting back at my gym next week, will only do bike and treadmill to start off with....have to say have been paying my membership all year and not been since january did not want to cancel or suspend it as it would of been too easy to just forget about it...xx

I have a 1 hour cardio programme at the gym (15minutes each treadmill, recumbant, cross trainer and arm cycle) which I do twice a week, and 1 hour swimming once a week :)

I go on the wii fit and go to the gym.
I can't do loadz though- just 5 mins on the treadmill, cross trainer, bike, a little bit on the rower and some of the weights. The doctor said he would do me a programme to recommend which machines to go on at the gym after i have had the op, he said just to avoid the ones that use the tummy muscles for a bit.
I used to go to aqua fit, maybee when i have lost a bit of weight i will go back again.
Xxx Lizzie xxX

Hiya
right after I was banded and back on solid food, I started back at the gym doing CV only, then after my discharge appointment, Mr Sig, my surgeon said that it was ok for me to do pretty much anything at the gym. I do 1 hour + at the gym 4-5 times a week and walk my dog for 30-45 minutes on the days I dont go to the gym. I personally think it helps, and I can tell that I am getting much fitter, as things like the stairs at work are getting much easier. Also it helps to tone up some of the skin as you lose the weight. It wont tone up everything, but doing weights, machines and the swiss ball, will help more than not, so I would highly rate going to the gym and getting a programme to suit you. Start off slowly and build up, this is what I have done to get up to where I am now.

take care :chores016::whacky068:

MyNewLife

I started swimming again 11 days post bypass. hope to get back into aqua aerobics, aerobics and gym usually do a swim after classes as well.

I was very, very inactive before surgery (broke my ankle over the summer and just never really got up and around after) so exercise is a bit much for me right now. I try to do the stairs in my flat every day and walk up to the shops (about 1/2 mile) at least 2x per week. I also do arm curls with 1lbs weights to combat my bat wings. I am now 4 weeks post-op (today actually) and hope to add swimming (w/HC) soon. I know I will need to ramp it up more but I have had to take baby steps due to my low stamina.

Everyone is different as to their activity levels but a bit of moving everyday is important in the first few weeks post-op.

HTH:D

Back