• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How much exercise????

jinkles

Hi all, I just wanted to ask you all how much if any exercise you do on a DAILY basis. And what type/kind of exercise you do.

I have a cross trainer at home which I use but how much I use it varies from week to week. A few months ago I would do it every day for 20-40 mins whereas just lately I have only been doing it for about 10 mins 3 times a week, just lost interest I think.
I have been thinking more about my loose skin and psychologically think that why bother trying to prevent what is going to be impossible to correct naturally anyway!!!
I know I need to exercise to improve my weight loss and build muscle tone, and am in need of a big kick up the derriere to get me motivated again!!!!
x x x

Hiya there,
I do 1 hour on my exercise bike, 12.5 miles - daily. started 2 weeks post op but have to admit, it is painful (i.e. wld rather spend my time watching TV, on the computer, doing anything and everything apart from exercising). unfortunately, i'm not one of those people who enjoy working out... the one thing i look fwd to 'getting out of the way'. but also, i know that it's good for me and wont give it up - otherwise i know i'll feel like a failure if i did. onwards and upwards, hey?

I am pre-op and I am trying to cut down and get use to excersising to get me ready for post-op life!

I TRY to do 10'000 steps everyday. But because I get really embarrased when I go out walking (and I live in a very hilly area) I tend to do the majority of these steps walking on the spot in front of the tv. I'm not too sure if this burns as many calories as walking does, but I have noticed a HUGE difference when I walk up stairs - I use to get out of breath walking up 3 flights of stairs at Childline, but I noticed the other day I could do it and I was fine when I reached the top!

I hope that I can increase my excersise and the veriety when I have lost a bit more weight and feel more confident in myself.

Steph x

I am pre op and go to the gym 3 times a week for an hour, I have been going for just over a year now and am teh fat sweaty one but know i need to keep it up. I mainly to teh cross trainer and do around 600 cals each time
I know that walking teh pram or dog is just not enough, my GP said to walk to school or the dog is just not worth it as you need to do something that makes you sweat and gets your heart pumping so no pain no gain (or loss actually)
x
helen

I am pre op and go to the gym 3 times a week for an hour, I have been going for just over a year now and am teh fat sweaty one but know i need to keep it up. I mainly to teh cross trainer and do around 600 cals each time
I know that walking teh pram or dog is just not enough, my GP said to walk to school or the dog is just not worth it as you need to do something that makes you sweat and gets your heart pumping so no pain no gain (or loss actually)
x
helen

I cant believe your doctor said walking the pram or dog is no good......thats rubbish, any form of walking is good exercise, obviously the sweatier you are the better but all exercise is good exercise and better than doing nothing :)

Hi Jinkles

Its easy to get bored doing the same thing isnt it. If you dont want to join a gym how about trying an exercise dvd. If you want to carry on with the cross trainer try to work at a level just above your comfort zone. I have heard this from many fitness instructors over the years, any longer than 20 minutes on a cross trainer is not effective to improve fitness or burn fat. If you can do 20 mins comfortably up the level a bit, working that little bit harder should really help.

Also how about buying a set of weights and adding some light weight training to your work out, weight training increases your metabolic rate and muscles burn more calories than any other tissue even when you are not active.

Good luck

Maz

I bet you are all sick of hearing about my knackered knees, bit they did and do restrict the amount of exercise I can do.

Early post op I walked from five minutes at first up to a max of twenty minutes which was all my knees could take.

I then went on to the stationary bike for twenty minutes four times a week. Boring as heck and it was a real chore to get them in.

Couple of weeks ago I joined a local Gym where they worked me out a plan that would protect my knees, whilst still allowing me to all but kill myself for an hour three times a week :D

I do thirty minutes cardiovascular interval training exercise each session plus a split muscle toning routine that works upper body one session, and legs on the other.

Low weights with four sets of fifteen reps with only 30 seconds rest between sets. Compared with the weights I used to train with the amounts I lift now are embarrassing :eek: but the goal is to tone rather than build huge muscles.

If motivation and boredom are holding you back honey consider your local gym.

Hi Jinkles, well you wanted it 'KICK, KICK' LOL
I would say any exercise more than you were doing pre op is better than nothing, I got a WII FIt cos i found i just wasnt making it to the gym and i got into a daily routine and I do find it makes a difference, I'm 3 weeks post op now and am going to start exercising again (gently). Do what you are comfortable with to begin with and increase it as your fitness improves.

Fatbutnot4eva - I can't believe your dr said that about walking, if you regularly walk the dog or pram, its getting you out the house and its more exercise than you would have got, a good friend of mine lost loads of weight (without wls) cos she started walking, so my advice would be unless theres a medical reason get yourself out there, its better than sitting on your bum!! lol

Pandora - I think its a fab idea walking in front of tv, you dont notice your doing it so much if ur watching tv, and your already noticing the improvement, go girl....xx

The most exercise I do is working and walking round Tesco. I no I should do some but I have no interest in it. I dont enjoy exercise as in gyms. But I do like to go on long walks

I would love to join a gym but am too chicken to do until I have lost some weight! :eek: I have a cross trainer at home that does get used daily when trying to lose weight. When not trying to lose weight it makes a great clothes rack. :sign0007: Cuppacocoa xx

The most exercise I do is working and walking round Tesco. I no I should do some but I have no interest in it. I dont enjoy exercise as in gyms. But I do like to go on long walks

I'm with you on that one Teen lol!!
Still I gotta give it a go!!!! Keep getting grief of Mr Cheruvu!!!
x x

I'm doing over an hour a day on the treadmill in total just at the moment. I had been watching Biggest Loser a lot and shamed myself into doing more this week onwards. I have Core rhythms collection and a bunch of other dvds and I mix them up daily as it stops me getting bored. When the kids are at school, I watch my daytime telly (extreme makeover etc) whilst hoofing up and down on a stepper. Keep it varied and watch something motivational has been what has helped me step it up a bit.

Sorry but I don't do any form of technical exercise. My exercise is walking my horse,mucking out traipsing from the haybarn to the stables etc and I'm absolutely kn*ckered by the time I've done lol so no time for anything elsexx

Back