• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What To Expect/How long a wait until surgery ?

Need2Slim

Hi all, a newbie here.
A bit/ (a lot) about me and some questions I have.
Ive been overweight/obese since I was 8, with every year I got older, so did my weight. I've been back and to, to the GP for weight loss help for years. I joined WW when I was 13. They thought I was cheating as I never lost any weight, I really wasn't, did they really think I wanted to be verbally abused everyday at school? I wanted to lose weight, I just couldn't. I've tried all sorts since then, SW, Orlistat (fat burning pills). Going to the gym. The only time I lost any weight was when I had gallstones, where I couldn't even eat a single segment of chocolate orange without severe pain and vomiting for hours. I went down to 16st! The only good thing about having gallstones. I had my gall bladder removed in 2007 and met my partner 2 weeks later. My weight then soared.
I went back to GP for help again, they dismissed me and said 'well weight loss is hardly rocket science I should know what to eat!' The cheek! I subsequently changed GP surgeries and after a few months with them I finally plucked up the courage (I was too scared to go in case they also refused to help) to ask them for help/referral to the Bariatric Unit at Shrewsbury Shropshire, she said YES! And I was referred.
And we come to today, I was supposed to see a surgeon/member of his team tomorrow in Shrewsbury, but the hospital cancelled last minute. I'm hoping I get a new appointment soon. What is the first appointment usually about ? What should I expect ? Is it to see if I'm eligible ? To talk about what they offer ? Do they always want you to lose weight before you have it done ? If I was referred from GP does that mean its already funded by NHS ? Sorry about all the questions I've read it can take anything from 4 months to 4 years to receive surgery! I just can't wait to start my journey after what feels like a lifetime of being obese.
Thanks for reading

Hi there, and welcome to the forum :) The first appointment for me (at Hull) was around 3 hours long, I saw the bariatric nurse in the group meeting, the dietition and the surgeon in a group meeting, I then went and saw the psychologist privately and the surgeon private, and that's all it was for the first appointment. Since then I've had a group dietition appointment and I have booked a one to one dietition appointment. I'm guessing that since you've been referred then you are eligible! All surgeries that offer are talked through, although your surgeon will recommend one based on your lifestyle (I went in thinking I wanted a sleeve, and came out convinced of a bypass so be open to opinions) The hospital I am with want you to lose 5% of my body weight (around 20 pounds) which over 6 months should be do-able, but who knows, not all require you to lose weight though it's more important not to gain any. When I asked my surgeon on the first appointment about funding he said ''you would not be sat opposite me right now if funding wasn't already sorted'' but I have heard horror stories about funding so it may be different where you are. My surgeon has said to expect about 6-8 months until surgery (and I am desperate to get it ASAP) but people at my local support group have said expect about a year minimum. Hope this has helped! I'm at the start of my journey too but good luck with everything :)

Thank you so much for that information, its a great help, at least I kind of know now what to expect. Good luck to you as well.

I've been referred to Shrewsbury, apparently its a really good bariatric unit there. My appointment is now November sometime, gutted as I was getting excited but really nervous about the whole thing, but got to wait now, its going to feel like a lifetime

Everything depends on area, and also whether the hospital you are referred to is in the same area as your Clinical Commissioning Group when it comes to funding decisions sometimes, or whether you are being referred out of area.

Out of area funding goes through an independent panel and has to be agreed before you get a referral so guessing as you have an appointment then it has been agreed that you can be seen. Whether you actually get the surgery depends on the recommendations of the different members of the team. Also what stage you enter will depend on area and BMI/co-morbidities and how they manage the process. There were no group appointments at my hospital.

If you say what hospital you have been referred to you may find some people on here who have been through the process and can give you more detail.

It took me a few years of therapy to work out why i was unable to lose weight and before my brain could kick in. A lot of it was unconscious. So much of this journey is about what goes on in our heads and has little to do with eat less, exercise more, although they are important. The surgery won't stop you comfort eating.

Everything depends on area, and also whether the hospital you are referred to is in the same area as your Clinical Commissioning Group when it comes to funding decisions sometimes, or whether you are being referred out of area.

Out of area funding goes through an independent panel and has to be agreed before you get a referral so guessing as you have an appointment then it has been agreed that you can be seen. Whether you actually get the surgery depends on the recommendations of the different members of the team. Also what stage you enter will depend on area and BMI/co-morbidities and how they manage the process. There were no group appointments at my hospital.

If you say what hospital you have been referred to you may find some people on here who have been through the process and can give you more detail.

It took me a few years of therapy to work out why i was unable to lose weight and before my brain could kick in. A lot of it was unconscious. So much of this journey is about what goes on in our heads and has little to do with eat less, exercise more, although they are important. The surgery won't stop you comfort eating.

Yes I'm understanding now after reading so much on here all areas are totally different, from the length of the process to whether someone gets the funding. Hopefully the one I go to has a quick process, and that they do accept me for the surgery.
Luckily I have no co-morbidities as of yet, but obviously want to help prevent them, which is why I've asked for the referral.
I think portion sizes for me is the issue, and boredom, I look after my 1 year old at home so get a little bored sometimes. I don't comfort eat, never have thankfully, even as a child, if I was upset or angry about something I just wouldn't eat for a few days and just get over it. But yes I guess there is something in my head that tells me to eat the wrong thing or that I should eat more than I really need.

Back