• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Fat - the last taboo

ravelling

Grateful bypasser
(I have posted this on another forum, so apologies if you have read it elsewhere, but I thought I would post it here too.)

I work in the public sector and attended some training this week about Disability Discrimination called Attitudes and Fears. It was a really useful course, full of information about the Disability Discrimination Act, people's perspectives and experiences etc.

The other attendees were a mix of other public and voluntary sector professionals, carers of disabled adults and children and volunteers.

One session set out to explore and challenge stereotypes. The trainer showed slides of groups of people and individuals and asked the participants to shout out their immediate, 'stream of consciousness' responses to the images.

Asian family group: happy family, close-knit, supportive, culture, faith...

Group of teenage boys in hoodies: misunderstood, disaffected, wearing a uniform...

Older lady: wisdom, misrepresented, matriarchal, experience...

etc.

To be honest, lots of the comments reflected how politically correct most people's responses need to be these days, but it was interesting.

Then the next image.

Fat man in a swimsuit on the beach: (lots of laughter) greedy, I can tell he smells from here, (more laughter), hungry, starving to death (more laughter), needs a gastric band! (more laughter).

(I imagine you caould have predicted that)

Burning up with discomfort (I am still a size 32 woman wearing a size 10 body at the moment) I asked why it was ok to be abusive about the fat man, but not the black man, child in a wheelchair or any of the other images.

Apparently, it's because being fat is the person's fault where race and disability and age aren't...

The trainer was brilliant. He's a professional who uses a wheelchair and has a personal assistant as he is unable to use his arms or legs. He simply commented that people need to think about their responses as it appears that, in that room at least, fat is the new disabled.

We've still got such a long way to go.

Too true but good for you standing up and saying that!! did they rethink their attitudes??

its horrible :(
so good of u to stand up and say ur bit.....how many fat people like being fat!!?!!!

Well, I cant say it suprises me. I think if people were honest the vast majority would agree with what was said. I wish I could wave a magic wand and make these people walk in our shoes just for a short time, I have a feeling that opinions might change!! X

I often get called names in the street and I am always stared at. Also people never sit next to me on the bus. I am made to feel like a second class citizen . It's so wrong. People do not give you a thought, they think just because you are fat, you must accept abuse and ridicule.

Aww Gill, appalling ignorance and why do people inflict such pain upon one another. I can never ever understand this... it's as great an injustice as a robbery... theft of pride and so demoralising.

Thank goodness you are placed in a position to challenge discriminations, we need people just like you Angel.

Love and hugs xxx

Back