• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

where does the fat go?

ditsy_dame

This might sound like a stupid question, but after wls and pretty much every day a person loses weight, what happens to all the stored up fat? Does it end up in the toilet or does your body just burn it? I'm curious because I saw a thing on tv which showed what a kilo of fat looks like, and it was pretty big and so now I'm wondering for a person who lost a stone that is a lot of fat. So where does it go?

Weight is lost through the break down of triglycerides in the adipocytes into fatty acid, which are in turn broken down through a complex biochemical pathway, called Fatty Acid Oxidation, to produce acetyl CoA (a common fatty acid like oleic acid, 18 carbons long, could be used to acetylate 9 molecules of Coenzyme A). Acetyl CoA is shunted into the Krebs cycle (TCA cycle) in the mitochondria where it is used to generate energy, releasing carbon dioxide (two molecules of CO[SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE] per molecule of acetyl CoA). So the end product of fat catabolism is CO[SIZE=-2]2 [/SIZE], which is exhaled from the lungs during exercise.

And your poo.

Weight is lost through the break down of triglycerides in the adipocytes into fatty acid, which are in turn broken down through a complex biochemical pathway, called Fatty Acid Oxidation, to produce acetyl CoA (a common fatty acid like oleic acid, 18 carbons long, could be used to acetylate 9 molecules of Coenzyme A). Acetyl CoA is shunted into the Krebs cycle (TCA cycle) in the mitochondria where it is used to generate energy, releasing carbon dioxide (two molecules of CO[SIZE=-2]2[/SIZE] per molecule of acetyl CoA). So the end product of fat catabolism is CO[SIZE=-2]2 [/SIZE], which is exhaled from the lungs during exercise.

Thats what i was going to say!!!!

So in other words, by losing weight have a higher carbon contribution? That does it... I'm getting my tummy back and eating chocolate in the name of the planet....

:rolleyes: There's always one smart arse .......lol

Only kidding mate, good answer.

we sell it to the local chippy £5 per llb to fry there chips in, im rich now haha rakin it in lol :D

thats enuff to put ppl off wanting fish n chips for along time :8855:

oh shut up liz!! sorry guys me mad sense of humours just kicked in.;)

Last edited:
I believe it's all held in storage for years, and when all the 'natural' skinnies who look down at us all for having WLS aren't looking and eat more than 1 lettuce leaf its jumps on them.....so we can walk past looking fab and they take our 'fat' place in society....

oh dear.....here I go again....LOL

I believe it's all held in storage for years, and when all the 'natural' skinnies who look down at us all for having WLS aren't looking and eat more than 1 lettuce leaf its jumps on them.....so we can walk past looking fab and they take our 'fat' place in society....

oh dear.....here I go again....LOL

Can someone call for security please? Weve got another loose one here. :D

Did you swallow a biology book??

MNL:)

I'm already surrounded by white coats...lol
I need to let off steam somehow....haha

Back