• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Feeling a little deflated ......

deeby

I read on here in a post somewhere that apparently if you lose weight before the pre op diet starts then youre much more likely to do well after the op and lose much more weight.

Its really deflated me as i havent done this at all.

It wasnt one of the things my surgeon wanted me to do and i was in fact told to make sure i got all my favourite things out of my system while i still could.

So now i feel as if i may not do very well and am feeling really down about it :(

Just thought id see what you all think ??

XX Dawn

Reactions: Bev
I wasnt told to lose any, I was just advised not to put any on, obviously losing would have been applauded but not losing before the pre-op diet didnt jeapordise my chances.
I really didnt put any extra effort in before the pre-op diet (which I stuck to to the letter!) and it certainly hasnt had a negative effect on me. Almost eleven months out and I am 19lbs from goal and I am very healthy and apart from the odd week I have lost consistently with only two or so short stalls.
Dont worry too much about it, as long as you stick to the pre-op diet you will be fine.
Steph xx

Hi Dawn, precious, thinking of you...

I would think that there are situations where some people are really unable to lose weight on their own or exercise and I can't see that in every case it can be an expectation.

I would love to know if there is research in this area, since we are all so different...

Recently, due to a spinal problem, I have had to do some light exercise, I can only do it when able and it's helped me to move.. since I can't sit for long, sit or lie... but it's a really interesting point that you raise....

Does losing weight before WLS surgery really help to speed up weight loss after surgery?

Thank you for raising Dawn... I hope we can find a conclusive answer... or is it going to be an individual situation... ?

Please think positive, you have moved mountains to get to where you are and that's an amazing achievement and you are certainly not on your own.

Love and hugs as always, Bev xxx

That's a great response Steph... the pre op diet seems to be a kick start for the body and like you say, it's a bonus if you are able to move any weight prior to that...

I'm also amazed at how areas vary in their recommendations to either maintain weight or lose a certain amount... some areas so much stricter than others... not a universal approach...

So glad you raised this question to debate Dawn.

We are all so different... please don't worry about it and look forward to change precious xxx

xxx

Last edited:
Ive never heard of this hun. I was never given a pre-op diet and if you have a cancellation there is no pre-op diet so I was piling the pounds on right up until my operation as did other ladies I know and we all seem to have done well.
OBVIOUSLY for health reasons it would be a good idea to lose weight, but for the specific reason of doing well after?! Ive never heard that and dont agree x

I think you are going to cause yourself undue stress by taking too much notice of generalised statements and snippets of info. We are all so different , no-one can predict how your body will behave after surgery ..so don't stress over it! :)
Also I think you simply need to try and follow the pre-op when the time comes as that is a little insurance policy to make sure the liver is nice and small and easy to operate around.
As for the longer term and the belief that all your favourite foods being consumed now because you can never ever have them again..well that is not strictly true either. I think most post oppers will treat themselves now and then , and or decide they choose not to have the old favourites...whether the foods are replaced by enjoying life more and not focusing on food for so much fulfillment or simply that a little bit of what they fancy in moderation is enough..
Don't feel you can never have your fave foods again, but don't be suprised if they no longer matter once you start losing x

I lost quite a bit of weight before my op but this was having been diagnosed with diabetes & not b'coz I had been advised too.

I was told that I was likely not to see the same results as those people who hadn't dieted b'coz my body had already lost some of its excess weight & that my losses would be smaller & slower than others of the same weight who hadn't dieted!!!

i'm still gaining weight and haven't been told to lose any as yet. I finding that when I go to the supermarket I pick out comfort foods I haven't eaten in years. I think mentally I'm panicked at knowing I won't be able to eat them soon.

I didn't lose any weight befor my pre-op diet.

I had been told not to put any on or the op wouldn't go ahead.

I lost on the pre-op diet - which I did twice cos my op was cancelled - and found it useful because it got the taste for sweet things out the way - and I still can't stand very sweet stuff - odd cos cakes were my nemesis.

I understood the pre-op diet was a liver-shrinking diet - to make the surgery easier for the surgeon and less dangerous and to reduce the need for open surgery

I lost consistently for 15 months - and still lose some weeks now - I'm only about half a stone off the magic BMI of 25 now

xx

I put 12lbs on from the day I made my first appointment to the day I started my pre op, about 4 weeks. I ate for England as if it was my last supper. I then started the pre op diet for 10 days and lost the 12lbs I put on.

I am 5 months post op and have lost almost 5 stone so it hasnt affected me.

The best way is to think positive, I am sure you will be ok after.:)

Thank you so much for all your replies it means a lot as i really am feeling low and its not like me really, its so nice to know youre all here for me with this fantastic support.

Maybe its all the worry too, i start my pre op diet this thurs coming and then op in two weeks so i guess its all playing on my mind, it doesnt help that my 7 year old little girl is getting upset because she wants me at home with her as she says she will just miss me too much, ( my surgeon keeps us in for 7 days) its breaking my heart :( .....
Also my husband works away a lot all over the world, hes in india at the mo and im finding it hard on my own at the moment ( thank god ive got you lovely ladies) , My daughter misses her dad so much when hes away all the time i suppose she cant bare the thought of me going away now, poor thing..

Sorry to go on just feeling sorry for myself i guess, also i have managed to put on 1 1/2 stone since i went on the waiting list :S oops
Thanks for listening, love you all xxx

I bet you feel really alone sometimes with hubby away, bit like Kelly. Your daughter will be fine once you are in hospital its probably the thought of you going thats worse. Chin up hun, its will all be over in a couple of weeks :D x

Just wanted to send hugs. It sounds like you're having a tough time. Neen gave you some great advice though: try not to get too stressed about stuff you read and just focus on the new you about to emerge.
I know your little girl is pulling at your heart-strings, but try to put this into perspective: 1 week away and then the new, energetic you, with renewed zest for life and time and energy to give to your daughter will be born!

Sending big hugs to you. Charis xxx

With regards to yr daughter... I got both my kids a little pet & told them that they had to look after them while I was away & that everytime they kissed & cuddled them I would be able to feel it in hospital & that if the pet kissed or cuddled them that would be a kiss from me... Hubby said they never put their pets down & spent alot of time making beds/houses etc for them??

Just an idea/ xx

Dawn - as you know I have the same surgeon as you and I wasn't told to lose weight between joining the waiting list and the pre-op diet. I did however, decide to start the pre-op 10 days early, straight after my appointment when I was given the diet sheet. So I did three and a half weeks instead of two. Don't get hung up on it though... x

Just wanted to send hugs. It sounds like you're having a tough time. Neen gave you some great advice though: try not to get too stressed about stuff you read and just focus on the new you about to emerge.
I know your little girl is pulling at your heart-strings, but try to put this into perspective: 1 week away and then the new, energetic you, with renewed zest for life and time and energy to give to your daughter will be born!

Sending big hugs to you. Charis xxx

thanks charis, i know youre right im a pick yourself up person so today am feeling better, and i really cant wait to feel healthier and able to do things with my little girl :) xxx

We're all different. In my opinion, statistics are meant to be broken!!

Before my op I went on a journey of eat eat eat everything! And in vast quantities, I gorged myself silly!

Now look at me! Don't get hung up on statistics.

Thanks Mixxy im glad im not the only one who has eaten like they are gonna sew my mouth up lol, you have done so well and are truly an inspiration to me
i suppose ill just lose what i lose and at the end of the day any loss at all is a healthier me :) xxx

With regards to yr daughter... I got both my kids a little pet & told them that they had to look after them while I was away & that everytime they kissed & cuddled them I would be able to feel it in hospital & that if the pet kissed or cuddled them that would be a kiss from me... Hubby said they never put their pets down & spent alot of time making beds/houses etc for them??

Just an idea/ xx

Ditzee, thats a lovely idea !! i would love to do that and she would love that too , just got to talk round the hubby ,he's not a big pet person but hopefully will at least let her have a gerbil or something small, thanks, what a wonderful idea :) xxx

Dawn - as you know I have the same surgeon as you and I wasn't told to lose weight between joining the waiting list and the pre-op diet. I did however, decide to start the pre-op 10 days early, straight after my appointment when I was given the diet sheet. So I did three and a half weeks instead of two. Don't get hung up on it though... x

Yes !! we have got the same mr. Happy ( lol ) i got my diet sheet yesterday and although it perhaps would have been a good idea to start early, i really wanted to have wed eve as a last meal with my hubby as it was our anniversary while hes been away and i thought it would be a nice thing to have a 'last supper' and anniversary meal together before i start. He doesnt arrive home till wed so cant do it any earlier ... doh !! xxx

I bet you feel really alone sometimes with hubby away, bit like Kelly. Your daughter will be fine once you are in hospital its probably the thought of you going thats worse. Chin up hun, its will all be over in a couple of weeks :D x

Thanks dotty, i do feel very alone at times, especially now as my older son ( he's 18 ) has just gone off to university so im on my own in the evenings when hubby away now, i agree its probably the thought of me not being here that is worse, i told her a few weeks ago hoping that it would give her time to get used to the idea and ask any questions she may have but now i wish i hadnt told her untill maybe now but hey, hindsight is a wonderful thing, i would do it differently next time.
Cant wait till its all over and i can get on with my new life xxx

As Linzi said, my OH bought our two boys a bunny each (although guess who looks after them now :) ) but it was a nice distraction for them whilst I was in hopsital as I had never left the youngest before in his life and only been away for a couple nights from the eldest whilst giving birth to his brother! It aches to think of leaving her I know, but your daughter will have so much to look forward to and enjoy with you as you shed all that weight and become the best version of you.
I took my laptop in so I could talk via webcam to my lot and that was nice, to be able to say goodnight etc. I'm sure that your daughter will be spoilt rotten by whoever she is staying with while you are having the op. Try and take something to keep you busy, maybe ask her for a teddy of hers to snuggle goodnight and give her something of yours to keep hold of as well?
Don't worry , it's only a tiny time apart and you can enjoy making it up to her as a much happier fun Mum when you are recovered x

As Linzi said, my OH bought our two boys a bunny each (although guess who looks after them now :) ) but it was a nice distraction for them whilst I was in hopsital as I had never left the youngest before in his life and only been away for a couple nights from the eldest whilst giving birth to his brother! It aches to think of leaving her I know, but your daughter will have so much to look forward to and enjoy with you as you shed all that weight and become the best version of you.
I took my laptop in so I could talk via webcam to my lot and that was nice, to be able to say goodnight etc. I'm sure that your daughter will be spoilt rotten by whoever she is staying with while you are having the op. Try and take something to keep you busy, maybe ask her for a teddy of hers to snuggle goodnight and give her something of yours to keep hold of as well?
Don't worry , it's only a tiny time apart and you can enjoy making it up to her as a much happier fun Mum when you are recovered x

Thanks Neen, i know she'll be ok its just hard when she's so upset but thats life i suppose , we have actually exchanged teddies and have agreed to cuddle them whenever we need a cuddle from each other and i said ill cuddle her teddy every night and she wants me to put my perfume on my teddy so it smells like me.... awwwwww xxx

Back