• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Feeling dreadful- sickly burps and bloated. Anyone help?

Italynext

Hi all,
I have been an avid lurker for the past few months and learnt loads from this forum.
Now though I'm feeling full of regret and worry and sickness
I had the RNY done last Tuesday , and got home from hospital Friday . I've been in a lot of pain ( mainly the wounds) but that is starting to improve now. I've only been tolerating small amounts of fluid and protein shakes and nowhere reaching my goals due to feeling bloated , I also get a deep pain in my lower back/ flanks area when I eat some shakes. I had so researched all the pros and cons of this and waited over 8 months fot the procedure but now all I can think is what on earth have I done to myself . Only a few people know I've done this and none were really pro it so I can't even express to them my regret. My biggest problem since 2 days ago is vomit tasting burps , it is so offensive and I feel so sick with them. Even after 12 hours of not eating / drinking they are still there and then made worse by eating 3 0z of a shake today. I literally can't stomach anymore I feel so sick. I'm still taking zofran for the nausea but it dosnt seem to be helping. Has anyone dealt with this ? Know anyway to ease it ?
With thanks x

Hey welcome to the forums!

sounds like you're having the post op blues - we've all been there and it's common so soon after surgery. I was bad with it for a few weeks. Try not to worry too much about goals at the moment cope with what you can and the burps get easier when you start the different food stages. Push through this time as it does get a lot better. Try stepping on the scale to help motivate you. In the mean time we can answer any more questions you have. It's worth it. The pain and bloating subside after a week or two. Mine was more in my shoulder than my back though. X

Hello and welcome :) I'm sorry you're feeling so blue right now. What @starryeyed says is spot on and you're not alone.

Can you talk to your team for some reassurance?

Thank you for your kind replies. I had myself prepared for some buyers remorse but I really did not expect to feel this bad. For some reason I can handle the pain and even the nausea but it is the vomit tasting constant burps and bloating that are really getting to me - I didn't think it was going to be so bad. I'm going to ditch any protein for the next 24 hrs and stick to fluids and see does it help them pass. My team isn't available until Tuesday so will stick it out until then .
Thanks again x

Hi sorry you are having issues, I thought I would never be able to drink a full glass of liquid ever again, but things improve slowly day by day and getting liquids in does get easier - don't worry if you are not hitting targets as long as you are doing your best to sip sip sip!

As for the pain it is probably wind pain from the gas used to inflate you during the op, I was very lucky and didn't have any gas pain after surgery but it can be bad and last a few weeks.

For the gas pain and to help with the burps, have you tried peppermint tea? It will help with the wind, the nausea and if nothing else will taste nicer when burped up!

I had to stop taking shakes as I found them so sweet after the op they made me feel sick! Have you tried milk with extra milk powder to increase the protein?

Most of us had the "what did I do" phase - it does get better - just remember you have had major surgery and there is a lot of healing going on internally.

Hope the tea helps!

Forgot to say, are you on lanzaprozole or equivalent? You might have too much stomach acid - if you are taking it once a day you might need it twice a day - check with your team or GP before increasing though. If you are not on it I would contact them asap to request it.

Everyone has already given you some really good advice, all I can do is agree with it all. That immediate post op period can be so horribly hard. We're in pain, unable to drink or eat in the ways that we're used to, and that feeling of 'what the hell have I done to myself' can feel so oppressive.

But, let me add to the chorus of, it does get better. Try not to worry about hitting your targets, just keep sip sip sipping. Maybe try something other than the shakes if they're not agreeing with you. I liked milk with sugar free crusha, and peppermint tea is good if you like the taste.

Most of all, keep the faith that you will feel okay eventually. Better than okay in fact.

Hi all
Thank you for the reassurance and advice , it has helped immensely. Thankfully I'm feeling more human and not as negative. I ditched the protein for 24 hours and just stuck to peppermint tea( big thanks for that suggestion - such a difference with the sickly burps). I feel so much better. I have tolerated some protein shakes yesterday and while still feeling nauseated at times I am also starting to feel hungry at times( which I'm taking as a good sign!). Everything seems more manageable today and I'm just going to try an take it day by day at the mo. I am trying to get the negatives out of my head ( such as all the tempting goodies in the house for Halloween ) and the feeling of what I've done being overwhelming. So many of ye have travelled this journey and I am trying to take solace from yor experience that it turns good in the end. I think I may start a diary soon as may find it beneficial to burden ye with my dramas! ( poor ye)
Thanks a mil x

Hi all
Thank you for the reassurance and advice , it has helped immensely. Thankfully I'm feeling more human and not as negative. I ditched the protein for 24 hours and just stuck to peppermint tea( big thanks for that suggestion - such a difference with the sickly burps). I feel so much better. I have tolerated some protein shakes yesterday and while still feeling nauseated at times I am also starting to feel hungry at times( which I'm taking as a good sign!). Everything seems more manageable today and I'm just going to try an take it day by day at the mo. I am trying to get the negatives out of my head ( such as all the tempting goodies in the house for Halloween ) and the feeling of what I've done being overwhelming. So many of ye have travelled this journey and I am trying to take solace from yor experience that it turns good in the end. I think I may start a diary soon as may find it beneficial to burden ye with my dramas! ( poor ye)
Thanks a mil x
Glad you are feeling better :) Bring it on, we love reading other people's diaries :) :)

Glad the peppermint tea helped!

I'm glad you're feeling better, and yes, I think a diary is a good idea. I love reading them, and find it really helps writing in mine, both the good and the bad.

Back