• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Feeling fit and fabulous! Surgery July 2013. Target 9 months later. Now maintaining

Mel ... You are in the right place here to get the support you need along every step of your journey. We all understand how it feels ... The journey is overwhelming in so many ways and is defo not a magic wand (anyone who has had WLS will tell you that). Keep on here on the forum and ask questions on your thread when you need to, and someone is sure to come along pretty quickly. keep focussed on what you want to achieve but take one step at a time. Always take the advice of your consultant - they do know best, even when we think we do! xx

Thanks hun, I guess I'm just a bit worried about being refused after the assessment process. I've never wanted anything this much.

In the meantime I'm still doing slimming world but it's sooooo bloody slow this time. Only lost 13lbs since beginning of January. It's frustrating as ever. Been feeling really low which is terrible for my diet as I just can't help eating crap xx

Ladies and gentlemen ... On Friday I had to go into hospital for a minor procedure under general with Mr Fiennes (not related in any way to my bypass)... they weighed me ... it is official - I have a normal BMI according to the nurses' chart. Wooooo! The Holy Grail of WLS.

Also, it was the same hospital and ward where I had my bypass. The nurses said they rarely got to meet maintaining bypassers again after they are discharged a few days after their op. They all gathered around me and asked so many questions ... all good! One remembered my name as she had nursed me then and I recognised some of them too ... it was a bit weird but in a good way.

Buying size 10 and only just nudging into the normal band is even more weird ... I'd have to be pretty well emaciated to be safely in the 'zone' which is not really the look I want ... man!

Buying size 10 and only just nudging into the normal band is even more weird ... I'd have to be pretty well emaciated to be safely in the 'zone' which is not really the look I want ... man!

Huge well done lilac and congratulations! I feel you on this one, I'm still overweight (exactly halfway between normal and obese) and buying 10 tops and 12 jeans. It's surreal. People ask how much I weigh now and when I tell them they are surprised at how heavy I am considering my dress size. Weird! But seriously, you must be so proud. Xx

Thanks Verde! Congrats to you too! Wooo! The scales are a thing of the Devil. We need to focus on how we feel in ourself and how pleased we are when we look in the mirror. I for one am delighted and feel great, and trust you do too. X

Even the nurse who weighed me said I was lean enough and should not fret to lose another half stone to get me well inside the zone on the chart, as there would be nothing of me ... Ho hum.

Weird the different advice! Whereas I was told If I could get down to 7 stone that would be good: I am wearing a size 4 skirt from miss selfridge, what sort of stupid advice is that?!? :(

Size 4 ... I didn't know it existed ... To be fair, the nurse was not speaking from a bariatric point of view, just doing the pre-GA weigh-in ahead of my op ... and i have certainly not had advice from my team to shift any more and I do not want to. Perfectly happy as I am and will do all I can to stay stable - have been dead on for a year ...

In other news, today I went shopping in my M&S size 8 jeans, and found myself trying on a dress in New Look in a size 16 ... WTF?! But I refuse to get hung-up on what the label says as the only person who knows what it says is me - if it looks OK I will buy whatever size fits best ...

Lilac you deserve that normal BMI hun you have put so much effort into getting there so a massive well done to you ..you are up there with all the other inspirationals

Thanks Frankie! I just get on with it ... And try as best I can to stay focussed. There are days better than others ... But that is normal. I know I will never eat the quantities of food I used to and hopefully will continue stable for a while longer ... Fingers crossed xxxx

Just some photos to show what 3-5 intense fitness sessions a week can achieve (a combo of Zumba, Insanity, HIIT Circuits and Aqua-combat). I have not lost any weight in a year but my body has changed, especially my arms. This time last year I was massaging creams into my bingos in the hope of making them look less crepey and would not leave the house without a sleeve. This year it will be all about the vest tops and showing off my muscle definition. I cannot stress how amazing it feels and how important it has been for me ... and would urge everyone to get out there and try. There is something for everyone ... it does not cost the earth (unless you go for a private gym membership - why?!) and your community leisure centre is a good place to start. BTW - the clothed photo is me this time last year. See, it really is me in the before photo as I am wearing the same trainers!

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 144
  • April 2014.jpg
    April 2014.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 142
  • Spandex 12 April 15.jpg
    Spandex 12 April 15.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 163
  • Muscles.jpg
    Muscles.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Impressive. Really impressive.

Was going to ask if same trainers. Did you not find your feet got smaller? I went down a full size when I lost my weight with my band. Back up half a size now though.

Last edited:
Thanks folks. Yes, defo the same person but I do not recognise the awkward-in-front-of-the-camera 'before' person either ...

Last edited:
Well done lilac. You have done amazing and just look at those toned muscles!
Mine are beyond saving I'm afraid
With a starting Upper Arm measurement of 21.5" & with me now sitting at an 11inch upper arm measurement the loss of 11.5" of blubber has sadly left its very saggy mark :(

This is an NSV I reckon ... I was walking along the street this arvo and a bloke (younger than me and seemingly normal) was on his phone. He stopped his convo to say to me "You are STUNNING!". I am 52 in a couple of weeks and no man has ever said that to me (I have had boyfriends)... When I was about 13 my mum told me no man would ever go out with me because I was so fat I looked pregnant. Following WLS a random male feels prompted to verbally comment like that ... how things have changed. See ya! xx

Back