• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Feeling fit and fabulous! Surgery July 2013. Target 9 months later. Now maintaining

Lilacglittergirl

Fit and fantastic!
Beep - at this stage (2.5years) after my bypass I am being normal and eating from a wide selection of foods just not much of them. I think this is probably what the majority of bypassers do too. In the early days (say first year) while we are learning, I think we do tend to get into rituals about proteins and calories. But in time we come to learn just how very little we need to consume and still lead a full and healthy life. An example of a pretty normal day for me will be breakfast - low sugar granola (4%) with semi, lunch - homemade egg sandwich on granary (can't cope with crusts therefore removed), supper - pan-fried salmon fillet with broccoli (plate not cleared). I'll probably consume about a litre of semi skimmed through the day. Omlettes and scramble feature, as do Quorn stuffed peppers, jackets with tuna and sweetcorn, bananas, yes the odd biscuit or packet of crisps, yoghurts, to name just a few things. As I say pretty much everything - the weight lose is the consequence of the small amount we can eat, rather than what ... But obvs we need to aim for as much protein as poss, and keep carbs low. Due to my intense fitness routine I am eating more simple carbs than the average bypasser, at the instruction of my consultant in order to maintain. I weighed myself this morning for the first time in a couple of weeks and I am maintaining

Foxy789

Beep - at this stage (2.5years) after my bypass I am being normal and eating from a wide selection of foods just not much of them. I think this is probably what the majority of bypassers do too. In the early days (say first year) while we are learning, I think we do tend to get into rituals about proteins and calories. But in time we come to learn just how very little we need to consume and still lead a full and healthy life. An example of a pretty normal day for me will be breakfast - low sugar granola (4%) with semi, lunch - homemade egg sandwich on granary (can't cope with crusts therefore removed), supper - pan-fried salmon fillet with broccoli (plate not cleared). I'll probably consume about a litre of semi skimmed through the day. Omlettes and scramble feature, as do Quorn stuffed peppers, jackets with tuna and sweetcorn, bananas, yes the odd biscuit or packet of crisps, yoghurts, to name just a few things. As I say pretty much everything - the weight lose is the consequence of the small amount we can eat, rather than what ... But obvs we need to aim for as much protein as poss, and keep carbs low. Due to my intense fitness routine I am eating more simple carbs than the average bypasser, at the instruction of my consultant in order to maintain. I weighed myself this morning for the first time in a couple of weeks and I am maintaining

Hello I'm on android and can't seem to post a question random, but I was wondering if anyone suffered from thinking hair before surgery possibly due to weight and stress etc I know after surgery you loose hair but after time does thining hair get any better ??? Not sure if that makes much sense ? But thank you x

beepbeepcat

How are you?

Lilacglittergirl

Fit and fantastic!
Hi you bunch of losers. All good with you I trust. Yes, I know I've been absent for a little while but I'm still here ... The forum has had a revamp while my back has been turned ... It will take some getting used to ... Anyway ... I am still fit, still fabulous, still maintaining virtually to the lb, and am in a relationship! My mum told me when I was about 13 yrs old that no boy would ever want to be seen with me due to my size, well nearly 40 years later I have proved her wrong! We have been in a relationship for a while now. Not only does he adore me, he tells me he loves me - and I feel the same about him. The Gastric Bypass - the life-changing surgery that keeps on giving.

Onwards and downwards you beauts xxxxx

Kar8858

Fantastic update well done you...your Mother sounds a very supportive woman! Enjoy your life and make the most of it x

beepbeepcat

Awesome new LGG I'm made up life is good X

Lilacglittergirl

Fit and fantastic!
Hey beauts! Listen to this ... unbelievable! Today I went to my GP for the first time in over a year. I have been registered there for about 30 years - saw the head man who has been there all that time and you rarely get to see him as he is in demand. Anyway it was about a 'virus' that has been giving me a headache, rash, fatigue and joint pain all week and I can't shake off. I said to him that I had a Gastric Bypass in July 2013 and therefore I have not been able to take anti-inflams for the pain as NSAIDs are not allowed if you are bypassed. "Gosh!" he said, "That's a big operation. You look amazing! I really would not know you had once been big! The band has obviously been a great success for you" ... ARRGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! "NO!!!!!!!!" I replied, "I had a Gastric Bypass! Not a band!". To this he replied, "Well, that is an even bigger operation! You really do look very well. We don't have many patients who have the bypass ...". He then went on to check the system and said the procedure was not recorded in my notes and went to add it in. All despite me having annual bloods done through the GP, having involved my usual GP in the decision back in 2013, etc. I thanked him for noting on the system that I've had a Gastric Bypass as it should come up as an red alert (it is on my records at St Ant's). Now, call me old fashioned, what hope is there for us if even an experienced GP hears Band when you tell him/her you have had a Gastric Bypass. If I had a band, I would have said so ... I never ever use the words Gastric Bypass when talking about what I had done as people really don't get it, but I go into great technical detail about what was actually done to me that led me to shed the weight. Everyone's jaw drops and they utter wow, that's huge. Amazing stuff. You look great. Say "I had a Gastric Bypass" they always always think Band, and have a rather dismissive and negative reaction. Three years on nearly, and still I am amazed. What hope if there ever of me being able to use the words Gastric Bypass and for it to be understood, if even an experienced GP doesn't 'get' it!

Ranting sorry! I'm out of here ... oh, the 'virus' he says is nothing serious and should clear up in the next few days. Let's hope so!

See ya, you lovely bunch of losers xxxxxxxxxxx

Hannah2

Hope you feel better soon and the virus does go in the next few days.

Nothing surprises me anymore with doctors - never assume that they know more than you do!

My hospital notes didn't even include referral letters for some recent consultants appointments so they had no idea why I was there and then when they sent me for tests they didn't say why, so the ultrasound person was asking me what they needed to look at/scan!

I guess it is down to us to ensure that the info is on our notes correctly and to make sure people get it right band vs bypass!

FeeBee

Happy surgiversery!

beepbeepcat

Bypassed three years ago today. Happy 3rd surgiversary to me. Got my review this morning ... Hope he'll be as pleased as I am.

Hope you bunch of losers are all doing well. Love and light to you all xxx

A happy healthy you...of course they will be happy x x

Hannah2

Happy Surgiversary for Saturday!!! Hope you got on ok at your review.

beepbeepcat

Hi LGG, hope you are ok....thinking of you X

beepbeepcat

Hope you are all good, thinking of you x

Lilacglittergirl

Fit and fantastic!
Hey! Does anyone remember me? It has been a while since I was on here ... just thought I would stop by to see if there are any of my regulars still on here, if so how are YOU doing? And also bring you up to date with what's been going on for me.

I am now 4.5 years post-bypass. One of my passions on here was exercise. Well, in September I became a fully qualified fitness instructor - and I am rather proud of that! My weight has been stable but I have continued to contour my body through regular training in the full knowledge the loose skin will never go away but the muscle definition undoubtedly detracts from the sight of it. And I have a butt again due to working by Glutes through squatting and lifting free weights. Nevertheless, I had a consultation last Autumn with the surgeon who sorted out my saggy breasts, to explore having my loose abdominal skin removed as it is hard to disguise and my clothes do not fit properly. Seemingly my abdominal muscles are so strong they will not need to be repaired with the usual stitching as they will be a firm enough base for the pulling, stretching and cutting business. Hurrah! This means I will suffer less discomfort and my recovery should be quicker.

Life is good - with a new partner, and still wearing clothes in sizes 8 to 12 depending on the store. The challenge of the bypass continues without question, and journey I have been on has been (and continues to be) hard, but I have the determination to embrace everything the surgery has given me and coupled with the level of physical fitness I have acheived through my commitment, it continues to be the best decision I ever made as the results which I have reaped are immeasurable.

Before I sign off - exercise: I honestly personally and professionally believe there is something for everyone regardless of situation and/or condition. We just have to seek it out.

Love and light peeps xxx

beepbeepcat

Hiya
Good to hear from you and your looking amazing

Lilacglittergirl

Fit and fantastic!
Hey. Another year and another update from me. Can’t believe it was over 5.5 years ago I had my bypass! I am prompted to come on here today as it is the sixth anniversary of the day I decided to have my life-changing surgery. I am posting a kind of before and after photo of my journey with contouring and strength training. The photo on the right is me at my lowest weight - approx 10 months after my WLS. There is no disguising how ‘feeble’ I look (and felt) in the scary time when I found myself stepping on the scales and hoping I had NOT lost any more weight. Messes with your head. The photo on the left is me now after 18months+ consistent strength training (free weights and functional classes) to define my body and burn any excess fat. Previously I was doing lots of high intensity stuff four or fives times a week which is great cardio and fat burn, but rubbish with the impact on my knees which carried a second person around for 50 years!! Yes I am 10kg heavier now than I was in summer 2014 but strong is the new skinny! I feel much more the person I was always meant to be. If any of you struggle with the gym thing I would honestly say that avoiding the tedious and ineffectual cardio machines and head to the free weights and rig areas, coupled with resistence machines 3-5 times a week. It has worked for me. And it is very empowering - after 50 we lose 1% of our strength every year and getting lifting can slow that deconditioning down. Fierce at 55 !

In other news, last June I had a full abdominal hysterectomy and opted for a double procedure using the same incision to have an abdominoplasty. I was three months away from training but am back at it, stronger than ever.

That’s enough from me. I really hope all you losers are doing well, and those of you contemplating WLS find this forum as awesome as I did when I started my journey back in the summer of 2013. Love and light to you all xxx

Attachments

• A63D7DA1-484D-4F09-AE05-811C46102DB2.jpeg
    A63D7DA1-484D-4F09-AE05-811C46102DB2.jpeg
    940.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited: