• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

FEELING POSITIVE/NEGATIVE with 6 weeks to go

gillabean

Really living now!
I am due to have gastric bypass surgery on 12th November and I am all of a tizz. I only (!) need to lose 7 stone and I carry my weight well, in that I am equally fat all over, lol! Although I have been dieting on and off for the last 15 years and managed to lose some only to put it back on (and some more). I suppose it's only natural for me to have doubts, why can't I lose weight on my own? For the last four weeks I have been eating sensibly and have tried v. hard not to eat sweets (my weakness) and I've put on 3 pounds. I have bad arthritis of my ankle and knees and I had a hip replacement last year, it is for this reason that I am having the surgery, I am paying for it myself. Sometimes I feel guilty about having the surgery as everyone else seems to have so much more to lose than me. But, will I ever be normal again? Am I just swapping one abnormal diet for another; trying to get as much protein whilst restricting my sugar and fat intake?

Does everyone have doubts? I hope someone says yes, or is it just me?

I had huge doubts as my op date neared. It is an abnormal diet - at first - but then becomes the norm. It is a life change but that was what I wanted and needed. I do not feel at all like I am on a diet now, I just eat differently to how I used to.
My BMI was 50+ so you may be better chatting to someone with a lower BMI like yourself.
Lx

Everyone has doubts. It's natural.

Although what you got to try and find is someone who has put weight on after a bypass. I'm sure if you look hard enough there may be some somewhere. But none spring to mind.

You have no need to feel guilty. If your health and well being is suffering from that extra 7 stone, then you deserve the op, especially as you're paying for it privately!

It is normal to have doubts but you obviously felt you needed this op at some point. Your health alone will be so much better and the weight loss will ease the pain from your arthritis a little too.Your diet after your op will not be abnormal, just different.Your food choices will change for the better but you will still eat "normal" foods just less of it.Good luck with your opxx

It's normal to have doubts. Don't feel guilty about having the surgery if you have weight related health problems or feel this is the only way for you. Don't forget that all of us who are heavier than you were once only 7st overweight!!! Your PCT wouldn't have agreed to fund wls if they didn't think you needed it. None of the PCTs have money to burn. If you're funding it yourself, I'm sure that you haven't got money to swander in this economic climate either. It will be life changing, but, it will give you a tool to help you lose and keep the weight off. If you really are having second thoughts it might be worth you talking to your Consultant/Bariatric nurse etc, and delaying the op, if you remain unsure after that. I have to have a psychological assessment prior to wls to ensure that I have coping strategies in place, as food won't be one of my options after surgery.

I hope you manage to make a decision that you will be happy to live with? Remember it is normal to worry and have second thoughts as the deadline approaches.

Rebirth

Thanks everyone, just feeling a bit alone I suppose, I don't know anyone else who has had this done. Oh, hang on, I do now, all of you lovely girls and boys!

Just off for a walk round the village to get as fit as I can possibly be for my surgery. Support stockings, podiatry insoles and cushioned trainers to save my poor old feet.

Hi Gillabean,

I think we have quite a lot in common! I'm due to have bypass surgery around the 7th November, also funded by myself, and not dissimilar to you I have 9 stone to lose. I too have been trying to lose it for fifteen years, I lose a little then put it back on and more!

My first post on here was a couple of weeks ago asking if it is normal to be having so many doubts all of a sudden. I had been wanting surgery for so long but seeing the consultant for the first time made it all 'real' and I got scared! I was so confused and wondering if I was taking too drastic a step.

However, I soon remembered all the reasons why I wanted it done in the first place and gradually, with the help and support of people on here, realised that I had made absolutely the right decision. For me, surgery, although drastic, is my only real chance of getting rid of my excess weight and keeping it off.

Two weeks on and my head is now absolutely in the right place and I cannot wait to have the surgery done! I am currently dieting to lose the required 5% of my bodyweight and have already cut out a lot of the food I probably won't be able to eat after surgery. I think this is helping me to prepare mentally for what's to come.

I, like you, do not personally know anyone who has had this done but I know the advice and support from folk on here will carry me through those harder times.

Good luck and stay in touch!
Cuppacocoa xx :talk017:

Don't worry, you are feeling normal! We have all gone through the doubts but I am now 10 weeks post-op today and although I have had some problems I am delighted that I have lost over 3.5 stone and like you I have severe arthritis in my knees which made walking a real problem. Had a meet last night with some other post op bypassers and they were like "where's your stick?" I don't need it all of the time now, I don't need the pain killers that I was taking and already my knee feel so much better for my weight loss. That if nothing else was worth what I have gone through with my op and I wouldn't hesitate to do it all again.

ahhhhhhhhh hun its not just you that has these thoughts its everyone i would imagine as im havin them to lol im hoping to get my surgery in november to and im thinkin oh what if this what if that and ive been told its quite normal its a big thing where doin and a big decision to make in the first place isnt it i to only need to lose about 7 or 8st and i to carry it quite well all over lol but i do need this surgery coz i knw i cannot do it on my own ive been tryin since i was 8 lol(hosp diet) and ive only ever got bigger the thing im scared of more than anythin is dying that old chestnut lol but im pretty healthy no illnesses as far as i know im only 35 sort of youngish lol so im hoping things willl be ok i think its hubs thats worrying me more coz he keeps sayin your not goin anywhere are you and i keep sayin no but it scares me when he says this coz i start thinkin oh god i hope not but i keep prayin to god,mum,dad and my angels to keep me safe so fingers xd they do i think we will both be ok hun good on ya for wanting a better life lv n hugs lin.x

As said it is normal to have doubts.

I really don't think you should feel guilty about having the op. I'm sure you have your best interests at heart. Hopefully it will make a difference to you arthritis.

I did once think am I doing the right thing and thought about my option. It soon became clear to me they were not an option for me. Now I just look ahead and can't wait till I have my bypass.

Wow! So I'm not alone, thank all of you for these replies it is so reassuring. Having said that, I have just stopped at the shop and bought a giant bar of caramel chocolate and eaten the lot in one go, so now I feel sick. Part of me is saying 'you won't be doing this in six weeks time, ever again'. This is one major reason for me to have the bypass instead of the band, I am a real chocoholic I never know when to stop. Even when I'm not really enjoying it I just stuff it in my mouth as fast as possible and my consultant said that the bypass will definitely not allow me to do this ever again which would be great.

HiYa,
Like others have said its quite normal to feel the way you do.
I paid for my Op myself and yes i did feel a little guilty about spending the money all on myself, but this was something I really did have to do for me.
My BMI was only 38 and I was Only 15 1/2 st and although only 5ft 3 everyone said i carried my weight well too, But I just hated the way and looked and yo yo dieted all my life and was so fed up to the point enough was enough. I had my Op done nearly 10 months ago 6th December and lost 7st 1lbs to date, I have reached my goal and more. It has changed my life Oh sooooo much for the better and I don't regret it one little bit.
I was the worlds worst chocoholic ever and now i can take it or leave it. To be honest it doesn't interest me any more.
Its the best thing i have ever done for myself. Take a look at my Before & After pics in my album and you will see the proof is in the pudding!!
Wishing you all the very best on your journey and if you ever need anything then just ask.

I AM NOW OFFICIALLY EXCITED, YAY! I can't wait, you all sound so positive and it's fantastic to know that I am not the only one with 'just a little' (haha) to lose. I'm off to work in a minute and it will be so nice when I can wear my uniform as it's supposed to be worn. I am a nurse and I have had to unpick the stitching down the front of my top, people say 'oh, your zip is undone' but it is just so that my big fat belly has got room to roam when I sit down.

I've got a question which sounds stupid as I should probably know this, being a nurse n'all. If the weight loss is so quick how come everyone doesn't get too skinny? Do you have to work at keeping your weight UP?

Hi Gillabean
I`m 51 hun and I`v been on diets from my teens , I loose but put back on and more . I`v been waiting for this surgery 6 years and a few times I`v said to myself am I doing the right thing but with all the illnesses I have will only get worse and like you I`m in awful pain with arthritis . I just cant wait now for my surgery on the 10th of Oct . Good luck and take care hun .
Margaret xx

Margaret, when is your surgery. Your signature says 10 November but your other thingy says 10 October. Have you been put on a pre-op weight loss diet?

Back