• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Feeling really down with this gastric band!!!!

lea-lea

Hi i am new on this site and really would like to talk to anyone who has had the same experience!

Had my band Feb 2006 and by Feb 2007 i had gone from 19st 7Ibs to 13st 7Ibs which was great but i seemed to get stuck there my lowest weight was 12st 10Ibs Sept 07 but to be honest i really only lost that weight because i had the band so tight i could only really eat fluids and very soft types of food and have since been told that i shouldnt have done it this way and this is why i have the problem i have now!

In Jan of this year i had to have my band emptied because they feared i had an erosion but it took untillJuly to sort out and yes you guessed it by then i had gained 2 stone :cry:in the end it turned out i didnt have an erosion it was a disconnection at the port that was sorted fairly easily:)

Anyway i obviously have had to start from scratch with my fills and trying to get it right, which i now have! can only eat small amounts and get full easily. The problem is i do not shift any weight!!!!! and i mean none i can be eating as healthy as anything and still nothing i can even gain weight!!!! it seems i have to go back to just fluids to lose anything!!!

Its so frustrating i have spoken to my un supportive GP about this and all he could say was "well what do you expect if you starve you body for so long" ok i get his point but surely my body can go back to healthy eating small amounts and i will lose????

I dont want to have to starve!!! have i really messed up my metabolism for good or do i have to put on a little and weight for the body to balance out???

Please help anyone else in the same boat ?????
:sigh: Lea-lea xxxx

Hi there
So sorry you are having all these problems, perhaps your body has been in starvation mode, what happens is when you then start to eat your body believes it may be starved again so it stores all the fat from the food you eat, hence you are putting on weight, if you can carry on eating healthy and combined this with exercise enevtually your body wont be fooled and you should start to lose weight, the only other alternative is to perhaps get yout thyroid function checked.

Hope this helps

helen
xxxxx

Hi sorry your having problems, I am almost three weeks post bypass so cant help you with the band, just wanted you to know we are here to support you and that I do feel for you chick....I would suggest maybe having a consult with a dietician to see if they can identify whats happening...keep us posted...xx

Hi Lea lea, I can imagine how psssssst off you are, you are trying so hard and nothing happens.

Do not despair, this also happened to my daughter, she had a band fitted in April 2004, she lost 4 stone and then stopped.

Last Christmas she put on a stone, and over the last few months, everything she ate she pb'd (productive burping, for those of you that are unfamiliar with this term).

She doesnt feel very comfortable with this, but she has dropped another 3 stone in as many months, so is now back on the road to losing.

Maybe your band needs a little bit more filling, so you can eat tiny amounts, cos that seems to me the only way you can lose it. I was more of a grazer than a big meal in one sitting person, and it worked for me, that is until my stupid band got a hole in it.

Dont give up hunny, there has got to be a sweet point, you just havent found it yet, its difficult to get the fills quite right in my experience. I found that every day was different in what I could eat and couldnt eat.

Good luck, you will get there:D

Thanks guys...it helps to know you are all there....what you just said about your daughter you are right!!!! the only time i have lost weight is if i can only have fluids and bits and pieces its just so frustrating starting to wish i had had the gastric bypass now!

I had a fill the other day and also got the symptoms you described but it got so bad i couldnt even swollow my own spit :jelous: so had to have some taken out!! and in a few days i had lost 5 ibs which of course went straight back on after 1 day of haveing just fluids!!!!

Hi Lea lea, I can imagine how psssssst off you are, you are trying so hard and nothing happens.

Do not despair, this also happened to my daughter, she had a band fitted in April 2004, she lost 4 stone and then stopped.

Last Christmas she put on a stone, and over the last few months, everything she ate she pb'd (productive burping, for those of you that are unfamiliar with this term).

She doesnt feel very comfortable with this, but she has dropped another 3 stone in as many months, so is now back on the road to losing.

Maybe your band needs a little bit more filling, so you can eat tiny amounts, cos that seems to me the only way you can lose it. I was more of a grazer than a big meal in one sitting person, and it worked for me, that is until my stupid band got a hole in it.

Dont give up hunny, there has got to be a sweet point, you just havent found it yet, its difficult to get the fills quite right in my experience. I found that every day was different in what I could eat and couldnt eat.

Good luck, you will get there:D

Hiya just curious as to how it was discovered that you had a hole in your band, and what happened when it was discovered, did they repair it, or replace it? who fitted the original one, NHS or private? if it was private, did you have to pay to have it sorted?
Just curious

MNL;)

I have to say it was never something I ever thought about a faulty band, it just makes you wonder what sort of guarantee you get with them, we know the balloon starts to fall apart after too long in stomach acid surely they should have more info on faulty bands..I would be asking so many questions...xx

hi and welcome to minis, i'm a bypasser and not a bander sorry but just wanted to say hello and well done on your weight loss so far. i'm sure someone will be able to offer some advice to you soon x

hi
i am the same i feel i am never getting anywhere unless i put myself on to a liquid diet..
i had band done in the summer..
emma

Hi girls, I have written my story here just the other day, if I could find the damn link I would post it here for you to read.....I'll have another look and see if I can do that for you now, instead of me writing it all again...hope thats ok.

I have found my story, here is the link...

http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/67709-my-story.html

It sucks!!!!

Last edited:
Hi Lea, I`ve only had my band 4 weeks and still on fluids after first fill so not really too clued up yet about getting the correct restriction. I`m just wondering though, I know it sounds silly but u may not b eating enough. As someone else has said u may b in starvation mode where u can actually gain weight. Just a thought!! Welcome to minis hun, hope u get it sorted soon xxx

Back