• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Fertility Before/After WLS

smiler2009

Fertility Before/After WLS
Has anyone had WLS to improve chance of fertility? This is how I was first referred for surgery and just wanted to know how its gone for people if thats the case.
Thanks

yeah i did. And obv for health reasons too, but on my referal form the GP put " keen to have baby #2". Im only 9 weeks post op, so im waiting til next yr before i try, but i think losing the weight will be a massive help.
Good luck ! x

Hi Smiler2009, My GP referred me for surgery few days ago as i have PCOS and ttc for more than 3 years now. I have also been refered to the fertility clininc and the doctor told me he can't start any treatment without weight loss. Its the new system in NHS now a days. All my fertility tests came back normal so the only reason doctor gave me is my weight. In the mean time i have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure so those are also being counted. I hope my fertility will improve after surgery. I am taking a medicine called 'metformin' for diabetes which also helps for PCOS. lets see what happens.

Hi Smiler2009, My GP referred me for surgery few days ago as i have PCOS and ttc for more than 3 years now. I have also been refered to the fertility clininc and the doctor told me he can't start any treatment without weight loss. Its the new system in NHS now a days. All my fertility tests came back normal so the only reason doctor gave me is my weight. In the mean time i have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure so those are also being counted. I hope my fertility will improve after surgery. I am taking a medicine called 'metformin' for diabetes which also helps for PCOS. lets see what happens.

if all your fertility tests came back normal could the problem lye with your husband ?
has he had a sperm test ?

Hi Smiler,

Before my surgery, hubbs and I had tried for over a year to conceive and got nowhere. I already have a son, and have had 3 m/cs so I knew I was capable of pregnancy. Hubbs had tests and he was fine. We gave up trying as I had to go back on immunosuppressants.

After Christmas, we decided that while we weren't going to try for a baby, we weren't going to not try, if you know what I mean. 2 cycles later I'm knocked up :)

So does it improve your fertility? Hell yes :)

Although...with hindsight I would have waited a bit longer, as I am now really struggling to not lose more weight.

Thanks for all that guys, it give a lift to hear others have been told the same thing and also that some of you are expecting x

Back