• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

In shock!

mandym1

Hi everyone
I havent been on here for a while. My weight management programme has gone on for 18 months due to the hospital cancelling my appointments etc.. so I had given up hope of having surgery. Until tonight!

I have been for my 1st appointment in 10 months and my Doctor has said yes he will put my case to the PCT and I should have a decision on funding within 2 months and my surgery should follow 2 months later!!

I cant believe it! He is using my fertility problems as the main reason as my BMI is 46, so not high enough! Anyway because I want fertility treatment which cannot happen until my BMI is down to 29 (i think) then I should have no problems getting funding. I'm 36 and had given up hope of loosing weight and having children but tonight I feel like my life is moving forward again. I know this surgery does not mean I will have a baby but it does mean I can have my life back!!
He is recommending I have the bypass not the band because the band will not give me enough weight loss to qualify me for fertility treatment but the bypass will.. I'm scared of the bypass so I need to get my head around that and be sure its for me.. oh so much to think about now..:confused:
I'm happy though, really happy... :D
I'm sure I will be on here a lot now asking for your help and advice.. so I will apologise now for pestering you ha ha x

hiya mandy i bet ur so happy 2 finaly get sum gud news :) i hope ur funding doesnt take 2 long but keep us posted xxxx

Congratulations and welcome to the site.

brilliant news Mandy!

hope u get your funding confirmed soon. I am having a bypass next week (had initially planned for a band but consultant advised against it for me). It is nerve wracking but think of the opportunities it will throw up for you.

I had fertility problems too (PCOS) but was very fortunate to be able to have 2 beautiful daughters.

Looking forward to hearing more about your journey xx

hi tink bet ur gettin nervous now its not long till u start ur new journey hope all goes well ill b thinkin of u xxx

I have PCOS too and was unable to get pregnant when I was a lot lighter than this so I think I will have to try IVF. One step at a time though.
Good luck with your bypass next week, keep us posted on your recovery and weight loss. Big hugs x

Aw congratulations, its about time! At least it sounds like it will be quick from now on for you. Good Luck hun XX

cheers charmaine - i am so busy at work at the minute - havent had a chance to relax and sit and think too much (trying to train someone to do my role when i go off).

I have a bit of a mixed bag of feelings at the minute - really excited but also really nervous. I just cant wait for the change its going to make in my life. Some people in work are starting to notice the weight I have lost on my pre-op diet! lol. Wont they be suprised when I get back to work in the New Year!! lol

What is the snow like in Birmingham at the minute? Keeping my fingers crossed that things get a bit warmer.

Hope you are keeping well (have you heard anymore about ur date yet?)

its ok here to be fair, my kids have bin at school everyday n everythings normal (just really cold) i only live 10min frm the hospital so u shud b ok :~) my funding app woz sent 2wks ago so i woz told 2day 2 ring bk in 2wks n they shud know more, but its just a formality so im happy xxxx

Hi Mandy. It's great you've got such great news at last. I hope your decision on funding goes through quickly now.
Grace xxx

Congratulations and great to see you back... love and hugs xxx

Welcome back hun! My funding was provided as I couldnt have fertility treatment due to my BMI. 12 months post op I was up the duff ;)
It can work and I wish you all the luck in the world x

Hi Mandy welcome back!Im still waiting for The Spires director to review my case!Funding was applied for in Feb,granted in June.Here we are Christmas...knew it was a waiting game but this is crazy.Which doctor/hospital are you going with?Hope everything goes a lot faster for you!Maz x

Hi Maz, wow I cant believe you are still waiting what is holding things up if funding was agreed in June? You were a whole year ahead of me on the WM programme if I remember right?
I'm still at same the hospital but its now Dr Thomas clinic not Dr Aditya. The Dr I saw last night was new to me and said I should have the decision on funding in 2 months and the op would be 2 months later.. now I'm doubting that as we were both under the same clinic :confused:

I had to clear the sleep lab test out of the way before they would forward my application to the Spire.The test was done in May!!!My notes have bounced around from clinic to clinic,soooooooooo frustrating.I got the funding on special circumstances.I have a prolapse that has been repaired twice and the surgeon wont do it and a hernia in my tum till the weight loss surgery is done.The director at the Spire is looking at my notes and application and then sending a letter for appointment with consultant.I have phoned every week for months!I really thought I would be done and dusted by now,as did Dr Aditya.The last time I saw him (June)he said next time I see you, you will be done.i now have an appointment to see him at Walton in March!Hope I get a letter for Xmas at least.How are you anyway?Maz x

Reactions: Bev
I am ok but not slept much since my appointment I'm nervous and excited!
You really have had to jump through hoops havent you.. I really hope you hear soon.
I cant believe they said I would be done so soon, thats why I'm in shock :eek:
x

Dont hold your breath hun,I hope you do get done that quickly,but dont pin your hopes on it and then you wont be dissapointed if its longer.Its certainly a waiting game.Maz x

Back