• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

first appointment with bariatric team

k4rid4

tomorrows my first hospital appointment and im bit nervous.
what can i expect to happen tomorrow???? and how long will i be there??
and if anyone cud share there experiences with me that would be great...

Hi ya x I had my first appointment a few months ago and it was with a surgeon. I had to fill in a questionnaire which we went through together He obviously asked me why I wanted operation and showed me different procedures but also told me what to expect but that it wouldn't do it on its own. I had to make sure that I was committed. He then booked me to see a psychologist to see that there were no other underlying issues and she gave me the green light. I was then introduced to a dietician and we spoke in length about my eating habits I have changed some things (mainly times I eat ) and cut down on bad foods :-( I then went back to see surgeon and given a date for surgery which is now only 13 sleeps away. I had my pre op today and I was a bit teary but its done now. Looking ahead to a better lifestyle. Process took about 4-5 months for me x x

wow thats great its not taken u long at all then, u must be sooo excited hun?
did u have to see all those people on the same day then? im just so nervous im goin to say the wrong thing and get refused surgery...

If I'd tell u I'm bricking it I wouldn't be lying but yes I'm soooo excited. I'm actually thinking ahead at what I can wear and what I'm going to give away. Can't wait x x have u been thinking long about it? What is it u want to have done???

No all on different days. Each consultation lasted aprox 1 hour :) second time I saw surgeon I had bloods done weight etc etc x

ye its only natural to be nervous bout it but just think of the end result, something uv waited ur life for. iv already had a peep on the new look website at skinny peoples clothes lol. tryin to figure out if i do have extra skin how cold i still get away with hiding it lol.
iv wanted surgery for last 2years but only just been apoved this time around. thank god..

so il only be there an hour thats not bad.. hope they arent goin to be poking and podding me all day haha

Hiya

my experience all on the same day met with psycologist that was an hour then met with the dietitian that was about half hour then met with the sugical nurse who said both the psyc and dietitian have no problems with putting me through so discussed what op would be best for me. Im in the South west though. Good Luck Im sure you will be fine x

oh ye id rather do it on 1 day.. so u dint have to have abymore shrink appointments after that then lol im scard shes goin to think im mental or iv got some eating disorder i dont know about

I was just open honest and positive that I was going through this time :)

Hi Karida,
I think hospitals all work differently.
My experience at St George was that I had a group session which was just an intro in the the various procedures.
The first one-on-one appointment was with a surgeon who asked lots of questions about what I know about surgery, what I was expecting to achieve, what efforts I had made in the past, did I have the support of friends, family etc etc. Generally assessing my suitability for surgery. They also took weight and height... and surgeon had a quick look at my tummy.
Only took about an hour.
My next appointment, a few weeks later, was with the dietician, who went through my eating habits. (They ask you to go through EVERY food category and how often you eat items from it. Eg how often do you eat chicken, how often beef, how often fish, how many portions of fruit every day, every week, how often take-aways, whats your normal breakfast, normal lunch, normal dinner, normal snacks etc etc etc)
This appoint also took about 1 hour.

I didnt need a further apt with psyc. I guess if either the surgeon or the dietician feel that your eating/food issues need more help than just surgey, you may be refered to psy for assessment.

I hope this helps!

Good Luck
SNix

Forgot to add...
Answer all the questions honestly. These experts meet people like us every day, so they know what to look for. Also, if they feel that a psyc appointment is necessary, then go with it. At the end of the day, there is no point operating if the op will not be successful because of your relationship with food. Also, if they dont think your *head* is ready for the surgery, then they will make sure you get the right help to prepare you accordingly.

ye i think i just have to stop panikin bout it.. it is no doubt life changing surgery tho..
what did they do with your stomache. mine has never seen the light of day lol going to be so weird having it on show lol

all hospitals work diffrent an i think it all depends what happens when u talk to surgeon as ive not seen a dietiton nor have i seen a shrink he said i wouldnt need to see either im booked in for 21st nov i dont think ull be long in waiting i think from start to op date for me was june to nov but 5 weeks of that was waiting for scan an resultsx

Hi Karida,
You lay on the bed (no different to the normal bed you see in a doctors surgery), lift up you top to below my bra... he only looked at my torso bit, and as low as my c-section scar. Prodded it a bit - took all of 2 minutes.
Only surgeon and his assistant in the room.
I am super shy about my body, but lets face it, this is what the doc's do every day, they're not seeing anything unusual.

ye thats quik aura ur luky im hoping im one of the luky ones where time flies... mind u it has gone fast so far..
ye slimming, that doesnt sound to bad.. il hav o untuck da pouch from me trousers haha

k4rid4 said:
ye i think i just have to stop panikin bout it.. it is no doubt life changing surgery tho..
what did they do with your stomache. mine has never seen the light of day lol going to be so weird having it on show lol

U will be fine x honestly once u step through them doors its the first step towards the rest of ur skinny life x ?

Back