• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

First consultation appointment for bariatric surgery

sav1990

Addicted to this site lol
Hi just had my date for my first appointment for bariatric surgery and a follow up appointment for about 6 weeks later. Can someone please be kind enough to explain what to expect at my first appointment and what they expect me to do for those 6 weeks in between appointments
Thanks

SO EXCITED COULD CRY :):D

Hi, is this your first appointment since your gp reffered you? If so and its like our area, after that appointment they send you to a 12 week weight management course (weekly or fortnightly). Then they leave you to carry on alone taking on board what you have learned diet and exercise wise for a further 12 weeks when you see them again and have hopefully lost your 10% target they set you. Then while funding is secured they send you to a seminar where they go through the different surgeries and make appointments to see dietician and psychologist. Some have sleep apnea tests and camera down. Then when the MDT agree you can have the surgery they send you to see the surgeon and you get a date soon after. From gp referral to op it was 15 months for me. Some are quicker some are longer but I wish you all the best. No regrets from me x

Thanks it is my first appointment since my gp referral and they already booked me a follow up appointment for 7 weeks later with the lead consultant so fingers crossed it won't take to long but I am prepared for the wait...if they told me I would have to walk from London to Scotland I would if that got me the surgery :) xx

My experience was very different to Leda's - I was seen at St. Georges in Tooting and had my initial appointment where I was seen by the surgeon's registrar.

She explained the procedures to me and then told me that I would probably not be suitable for a bypass because I have an Ileostomy.

I was then told that a sleeve would be my best option and she went on to explain that the surgical team would meet to discuss my case and decide which procedure they would go with.

Approximately 6-7 weeks later, I was seen by the dietitian and I went through my eating habit's, how many diets I'd been on during my life, what my weight had been during different times in my life etc.

He then said that he wanted me to see a psychiatrist before I was accepted for surgery and I then waited for an appointment which took another month or two.

The psychiatrist spoke to me for about an hour and then said that he believed I was strong enough mentally for surgery and said he would be putting me forward.

I had to go back to see the dietitian which I must admit, I thought was a waste of time because he just went over the procedure and what it entailed - he also asked how I'd been and how the appointment with the psychiatrist had gone.

I waited for about three months before I heard that I'd been accepted and then it was a case of waiting for a surgery date and a pre-op assessment date.

The whole process took nine months from start to finish.

Back