• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

first consultation

nikshikari

I am completely in the dark as to what to expect at my first appointment with the consultant. I have my funding in place which is a big weight off my mind. How long does the process from first appointment to surgery take? Its like christmas. I cant wait to get all my things in place and on the road to being my old self. My appointment is on wednesday. Im tooo excited to sleep lol.

Thanks xxx

Hi and welcome.

I believe different hospitals do different things at the first consultation so if you post where you're being 'done', you'll get more accurate info.

My hospital does a group appointment where you get told about the proceedures; the pros, cons and risks; things to do pre and post op.

This is followed by a meeting with the surgeon or a member of his team. At this meeting you discuss your medical history, eating patterns and which surgery may be best you. The surgeon then decides what tests you need to undergo before the next appointment.

Good luck with your journey x x

Hi,

I had 2 'first' consultations as I didn't like my first consultan's attitude and changed consultant. The first (bad) experience was that they weighed me and he briefly explained my surgical options, lectured me about what would happen if I was non-compliant with the pre-op diet and then gave me a dressing down about how some patients don't lose weight properly pre op and blame their scales and that he would not accept that off me. His attitude was very negative towards fat people and I felt like I was being judged. He then stated that I should be making notes and writing this all down and that if we met again he would expect me to come with pad and pen... They then arranged for me to see a dietician to moved forward.

My second 'first' appointment was with the fantastic Mr. Ammori and again I was weighed by a nurse and then he spent a long time talking to me about my history and eating and what he thought were the best options. He answered all my questions and took time to make sure I was informed. Then they made follow up appointments with the dietician etc and he gave me information about the pre-op diets.

The second experience was so much better - make sure that you ask whatever YOU want to and that you're happy with them - after all you're the customer and they're going to get paid a lot of money for your op either if it's NHS or private. I think you need to be confident in your surgeon.

Good luck.
x

Thank you. From what i gather Bradford NHS are leading the way with bariatric surgery and i have the option of different hospitals. I guess i will get all my answers tomorrow :)

wish me luck :)

Back