• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What happens @ Pre-Surgery Appointments?

TrulySlim

Hi guys :)

I'm just jumping on the wagon for WLS and I have a few questions to ask?

Have have been given two pre-surgery appointments at the Homerton.

The first appointment: Pre-Surgery - Bariatric Assessment Clinic
The Second Appointment: Pre-Surgery - Consulting Team - Ms Kalpana Devalia

Is there anyone else going Homerton?
What is their procedure?
What happens at the Bariatric Assessment?
What happens at the second appointment? (I think I'm seeing the consultant Surgeon).
What's the waiting period like for the date of Op?

:-D

los in it

hello Truly!
welcome to this great site,im also going to have my gastric band fitted at homerton i have had friends who have had bands fitted at homerton and all seem happy with it i was given this link
Homerton: Obesity surgery
to look at it tell you all about the services homerton has to offer re WLS .hope it helps i think i saw your named person listed on here to.

G'G

Hi,

I recently visited Homerton on the 14th of October for my pre assessment appointments. Luckily for me it seems, all my appointments were on the same day.

Firstly my weight was recorded on arrival.

I then visited the dietician/nurse in the morning. She was wonderful and very kind and understanding. She talked to me and my partner about my eating habits and my life in general and set me a target of 5-10% of my excess weight to lose before a date can be arranged. She also gave tips on what to try to help get on the right track.

Around noon I was booked in for the seminar. There was 4 of us who were there for the same thing. They mainly talk about all different type of surgeries they do at Homerton and explain the pros and cons to each.

In the late afternoon, I went to meet the surgeon who talks to you about what surgery they recommend. I hadn't already had the sleep study so was also booked in for that. Which I had at the hospital on the 29th of October.

I'm now waiting for the next step. I always feel great after a day at Hometon as you feel your on your way and always made to feel very welcome. :)

los in it

good luck truly for tomorrow im sure it will go well for you.do let us know how it was after.

TrulySlim

So I'm on my way back from the pre-surgery appointment...

These are the things that happened.

1. Weight & height checked
This was done by the healthcare assistant.

2. Meeting w/ the dietician.
Approximately 30 - 40 minutes, getting a detailed description about your past history (PH): History of diabetes?, methods attempted for weight loss, eating habits etc.

3. Electrocardiogram (ECG) & Bloods
The ECG to measure the electrical activity of your heart (it sounds worse than it is). Bloods to check your lipids etc. These investigations are done just to get a base line.

4. Bariatric Surgery Presentation
To go through the different types of surgeries, the procedures, pros & possible side effects and future appointments.

Over all it has been a good day!

Next appointment Feb' 2014.

TrulySlim

So I recieved a letter from Homerton saying that the have cancelled my appointment w/ surgeon and have rescheduled it for mid March w/ Mr Mannur (I read that he is ?).

Once I saw the letter I had a feeling... Surprisingly, it hasn't bothered me too much as it has given me more time to lose the stone+ which they are looking for!
However, I was hoping to get a date or something as I wanted to guesstimate how much weight I'll lose post-op b4 my 23rd bday in November #TeamScorpio.

Does anyone know what happens @ a Homerton when you meet your surgeon/consultant?