• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

first fill

sarahk

had my first fill on monday, have had fluids fo ra few days then sloppy food yesterday, but today i have eaten 1 packet of oats so simple for breakfast then nothing until 3pm when i ate 2 cocktail pasties and 4 pancakes WTF I reckon i can eat like normal. When I had my fill he put in 4ml and then took one out as there was some reflux showing on the MRI scan.

I am a bit disapointed with the whole process, Ive only lost 12 lb from the date of my surgery.

How soon till i can request another fill

Last edited:
The first fill makes a difference. Most people appear to need a few. I do believe the rules that skipping meals are correct as you get hungry and eat rubbish later. Look at the eating instructions that you were given as I'm sure they don't mention pasties ;-) Once you've had enough fill you won't be able to eat that stuff but don't blow it in the early days or you will beat yourself up as the band isn't working yet. It really does get easier.

Its a fair point, the band can help with volume but the rest is down to you making appropriate and healthy food choices!

Hi there

How much information and advice were you given from your provider before you had the band?

I am sorry if this seems a little harsh on you but you seem very unaware of things.

Firstly, restriction, with a band it is built up slowly, it can take quite a while to get it right for an individual and the amount each person needs to gain good restriction is so varied.

Good restriction should not be painful but you should be very aware of the food you are eating. It should feel like a heavy feeling in the middle of your chest.

If it is painful, then most often the cause is eating too fast or eating to much in one mouthful. Or eating foods known to cause many people with a band problems.

Foods to avoid can include:-

Bread untoasted or anything with this texture, like cakes etc...
Rice
Pasta
Red meat
Pineapples
Broccoli
Nuts
Tomatoes with skins on

There are loads more but it varies so much on the individual.

You say you got reflux, that is from a band that is too tight, so he made the right choice in loosening it for you. An over tight band does not work.

Restriction is built up slowly, so you get used to how it feels.

You need to eat 3 healthy meals a day, concentrate on your proteins first and your carbs last.

DO NO SKIP MEALS, especially breakfast.

well if i could make healthy food choices would i need a band

The band does not change what you eat - you have to do that....

It's not a magic cure to obesity, you have to change everything you did before and learn new ways of eating.

Did you not see a dietician and were given advice on how to eat after the operation, did they prepare you for those changes?

no didnt see a dietician. I was given some sheets of info, however sticking to a diet is very hard for me its not as easy as make 'healthy choices' or we would alljust do this without banding. Not skipping meals was one of my goals bt was so busy the other day that didnt get chance to eat for hours, then ate 2 cocktail pasties and later had 4 pancakes. I realised this was wrong at the time (obviously) after i had my first fill I did not expect a major change in restriction but did expect to feel even a little different in some way.

Did you have op privately?

I think its a shame that private providers do not put you through the same rigours as NHS.

I am not having a go, I just think that you needed more information about how the band worked before you had operation.

For me it's not a case of choice, I just know that to make this work I had to change or there was no point in having operation.

get back in touch with them and ask for more advice and help....if you did you go private you paid for this service and you should get it :)

no didnt see a dietician.

Never known anyone Not too see a bariatric dietician, this is a sign of bad care via Nhs or Private

I was given some sheets of info, however sticking to a diet is very hard for me its not as easy as make 'healthy choices' or we would all just do this without banding.

Any wls is not just about having the "op" (band, bypass,sleeve etc ) and then expecting automatic w/l, it is a tool that you use to help you achieve the best weight loss possible you can, did your provider not explain the full in's and outs of the banding op ?? was anything else offered etc??? (bypass/sleeve etc), soz not sure wot ur eating habits was prior too surgery.

Not skipping meals was one of my goals bt was so busy the other day that didnt get chance to eat for hours, then ate 2 cocktail pasties and later had 4 pancakes. I realised this was wrong at the time (obviously) after i had my first fill I did not expect a major change in restriction but did expect to feel even a little different in some way.

Unless you make the changes that are set out in the guidelines by your providor you will find it extremely difficult to carry on losing weight, One thing I have learnt on this site is too try stick too the rules (how ever hard it may be) and also it can take a few fills to reach proper restriction and this will help with weight loss, as cazbandy stated a too tight fill will not help you lose weight,it has the opposite effect (this happened to my friend also as she was unable to keep down hardly anything making her body store fat and made her gain weight). How are you doing with the drinking rule??? (no drinking 30 mins before food, no drinking during and no drinking until 30 mins after food??? times vary from provider, some say 15 mins) .

Also you state you have only lost 12lbs since surgery , your date is 23rd July that is a gr8 weight loss , better off then on, its very early days and with banding op the loss is at a much slower rate then sleeve/bypass.

All the best - MeJulie xx

a band is only a aid to dieting, just as traditional dieting put bad food choices in your mouth then it wont work and weight loss wont happen, just because we have weight loss surgery dont mean that we can still eat crap and get away with it, even more so with banding, what ever we do in life wls is just a aid to weight loss we have to put n effort in or yet again it will fail just like many other failed attempts with diets in the past.

Ditto Cazbandy, BlueDiamond & 2bliz. It's not a magic band!! You have to work with it - if you eat the same type of food post op that you did pre op you will get the same result. Sorry if this seems harsh but it is a fact. Nobody said it was going to be easy but the only way the band will work is if you make healthier choices. Pancakes and pasties don't come under "healthy options". Sorry.

yea yea yea all very helpful, i shant bother post again in fact am leaving the forum now you can all have a good moan about that. I am amazed you lot needed a band as your all so lbloody perfect

Im sorry you feel like that Sarah, Im sure there are no perfect people on here. We have all been in the same boat with our weight and only want to help one another. It may seem harsh sometimes but we need to know good or bad where we could be going wrong.
Please dont leave the forum as I think you may struggle even more without support. Take care (hugs) x

I agree with Dottychic, i'm due for my bypass in 3 wks & i know that i will need lots of support & i know where the support will be coming from & it won't be my friends or family it will be from this site :)

Sarah do you really think it would help if everyone just said 'there there poor thing' and didn't try to help? Sometimes the truth hurts, but its poor friends who lie to you and allow you to self-sabotage without trying to help you with good support and guidance.

yea yea yea all very helpful, i shant bother post again in fact am leaving the forum now you can all have a good moan about that. I am amazed you lot needed a band as your all so lbloody perfect

Sarah

Whilst i hope you don't leave the forum i think you have to listen to some of the experience on here. I haven't had my procedure yet but have asked lots of questions and am trying to find out what to expect. It's clear that whilst any of the surgery's will restrict your intake but what you choose to fill that space with is your own choice, and something that clearly needs getting your head around. I am aware (from what i've learned here) that if i eat rubbish i'm not going to lose weight. Nobody here was/is or pretends to be perfect but they have been there and done it so respect to them all. If you don't want hard advice (when you know you've done wrong) don't ask for it.

Ditto Em and Dotty, Sarah no one is out to upset you or get at you, we have all got things right and wrong in our journies and we learn from sharing these experiences with each other. Sometimes we find things hard to listen to but people have your best interests at heart. I'm sorry too you didn't get the information from your team that you were entitled to but stay on here and you will get very helpful advice and information. We are def not perfect we are just people who have been/ or are in the same situation as yourself and can relate to the good, the bad and the sometimes downright ugly times we find ourselves in because of our obeisty xx

I am not perfect....

today I had a roast dinner and a slice of cake....

Ok, they were tiny portions but definitely not the best choices but it was an occasion.

My rule of thumb...95 percent good choice and 5 percent bad ones :cool::eek:;)

You needed advice, you asked for advice and we gave it...for me I was more concerned that you had had NO advice...so wrong.

Sometimes the truth is painful and sometimes we need to hear that.

Hiya hun, please don't be disheartened by the feedback you have had. Yes we all need encouragement and support with our weightloss journey. But, from experience, I can tell you that I also need a great big (friendly) kick up the bum when I have made wrong food choices. It's what I think we all need from time to time whether we have had weight loss surgery or not!! The people on here who give advice give some bloody good advice, which personally I have taken and has helped me a great deal with my weightloss.

We are all here to support and encourage you with your weightloss but we will also give you a (friendly) kick up the bum should we think you need it.

Good luck with your journey
all the best
x x x

Back