• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

First fill is filling me with excitment

louloumoo

Phone call from THG today informing me that my first fill has been brought forward to the 20th (Tuesday) which is 4 weeks to the day of my op..
Trouble is I'm still on sloppy!!
I already have 4ml in my band from op, and some minimal physical hunger (plenty of mental!) and I have been managing on small portions, but I don't think I have any restriction at the moment.. I've lost 9lb since op (which I'm happy with) but nothing for the past 7 days..
THG said to start eating some solid in prep for my fill so I can give them some insight into any restriction, I've had some crackers and didn't feel any..
Any advice from you experience banders would be much appreciated.

Wow 4 weeks sounds really early...I had mine at 5 weeks and the nurse was still a bit apprehensive about doing it then. You defo need to be on solids first I'd say. But obviously all providers are different and I'm with WLS not thg, they know what they are talking about all you can do is trust in them. Good luck x x

Don't rush into getting a fill too early as it fits their schedule. I would wait until you were comfortable on solids. The staged build up to solids is surely to help heal your pouch. Personally I'd wait, you have rest of your band-life to get fills and if you rush in too early you could be inviting problems.

Personally my first fill was a complete anti-climax ;)

I have been thinking it was early.. But I am still going to go ahead.. I will take their advice on the day.. But I do only want a very small fill to start, i am having it done in liverpool and the nurses are there very often by the sounds of things. I am soooo nervous about being over restricted.. But obvious we all want our fills as soon as we can..

Just checked my email from THG and it says it is a band assessment and a possible fill based on that assessment..! I am concern that without a period of assessment on solids they will not be able to make a proper assessment of my needs.
Any how's I'm gonna email them, I don't wanna go all that way I the chances r they r not gonna give me a fill.. And weather a weekend on firm textures is enough time for them to make a judgment?! I suppose it depends how conscientious the nurse is that does not my assessment.
Like I say I only want a small fill to start, I want things starting but I'm in not major rush (just a cruise in 6 weeks;-) )

I've just got my appointment for Liverpool too, on September 11th. I will have had one week on solids at that point, which feels about right.
Having a fill before you've had solids just feels odd to me, unless they're going to put in such a small amount it shouldn't have a major impact (in which case seems a bit of a waste!).

Good luck hun, let us know what they say x

Rang THG this evening to seek advice.

I was told that the fill can be done at 4 weeks, previously they were always done at 4 weeks but due to some wounds not being healed they started pushing it to 5.. She said that was the only reason and not due to the need for assessing yourself on solids beforehand.
She said that even if I had a week or more on solids it is still very likely that I would be having a fill (which is very true) she also said that because I have had a good start with 4ml in my band then the chances are I will only have a very small fill Anyway, she doesn't think there is much chance of me not being given a fill that day unless my wound is not healed enough.. She also reiterated that I can start solids slowly over the next few days to get a sense of my restriction if I so wanted.
OR I wait another 10 days till the next appointment..!
She suggested that I decide on Monday after a weekend of solids as to weather I want it to a head Tuesday..
All in all good advice I thought..

It is exciting your first fill just to see what it is like as well.

I think everyone has fills at first so waiting another week will probably give you the same outcome!

Don't be expecting too much from it. But there again you have 4 ml in. I had none in after op and got 5 ml at first fill. They will probably only give you a small fill but will set you on your way and you might be able to squeeze another in before your cruise if you go earlier x x

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

good luck with the appt and (possible) fill tomorrow - how did you get on with solids for a couple of days? xxx

Thanks... I've been eating normal food, salad and chicken.. I have found I can eat anything so far, and don't appear to have any restriction.. I have been mega busy at work so not be able to over eat, but I think if I didn't have some self control then I could be eating anything I wanted..
So very thank full for the idea of a fill..

Will let u know how I get on x

Just finished ... In the waiting room having a water before I can leave. So she aspirated everything that was in which was 4.5mls.. So she gave for 1/2 a ml.! Really she would of liked to have left it and give me 1.5 in 10 days.. But I'm really feeling hungry and worried I will put on what I have lost.. It's hard to imagine that half a ml will make a difference.. So fingers crossed.. So fluids and slop for three days. :)

Am glad everything went ok :) back on the soup...yuck! Am so over soup, don't think I will ever voluntarily eat soup again! X

Back