• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

First Hosp Appt - what to expect - and bypass or band - how do they decide?!

kurvykaren

Hi
Sorry - thats a bit of a long heading isn't it but so much I want to ask!
I have my first appts at Homerton hospital on 25 August. One in the morning with the nurse, then I have to go to a group discussion for an hour at kunchtime, then see the surgeon in the afternoon. Definitely going to be a full on day! lol
I just want to know what to expect. Will they be doing lots of tests and stuff (don't worry I'll have clean undies on lol!) :eek:
Also - how do they decide on what op you'll have? I've read a few bits and in my mind I've decided I want the bypass (nothing against anyone who's had the band, but the results seem better and I'm happy to have a permanent op). Do you get a say? I know they're the experts and will decide on whats best but any insight would be good.
Thanks guys for any help.

Hello there

It all depends on any health issues you have, eating patterns and what kind of eater you are etc that normally gives them the deciding factor on what op to offer you . HTH

All the best - MeJulie xx

Also Karen don't rule out the slieve! I know some hospitals offer this with the chance to convert to a bypass later on if you want too....

They will as MeJulie said ask you all about your eating habits, what kind of food you like, bulk or grazing (me i did both, bulk and graze). The best advice is to be honest...

Please don't take offence but i think when (like me) you're a little on the larger side they will think more of the bypass as the results are so much quicker and unlike the band it doesnt take as much willpower! I have zero willpower (i wouldn't have been almost 21 stone if i had some) so the bypass was it for me.

Good luck with your appointments, i look forward to hearing how you get along :) xx

Thanks Julie.

I'm not offended by anyones comments, would rather someone was straight with me! lol
I'm the same, bulk and graze, can't say that I often actually feel full up!
Fingers crossed that I can have the bypass straight off, rather than something else before it.
Will post how it all goes.....

Best wishes for whichever route you go Karen... I'll look forward to seeing a lot less of you in the future (weightwise that is :) ) xx

I'm really glad you asked this question. I have had one appointment so far and was given both options, band and bypass. I really don't know how to decide although the bypass option because of the results is becoming more appealing. My biggest concern is the psychologial impact and how I will manage with such restricted choices and quantities of food. Good luck in whatever you decide :)

I originally wanted a band but after research soon decided the by-pass was my best option. One factor the surgeon mentioned to me is that I have gastric reflux disease. Apparently that makes a band a bad idea.

I was happy to take the surgeon's advice.

I don't know how long it'll take you to get to surgery stage as everywhere's different. At first i thought all the tests and hoops I've had to jump through were terrible: I just wanted the op asap.

Now the date's come, i'm glad of the delay.
Finn, I think psychologically it's really important to take some time over this; thinking it through, even trying to find different ways to deal with the psychological impact of this surgery. Comfort eating is such a big part of my life and I have to find new ways of coping.

I'm finding writing a diary really helpful and would highly recommend it.

Best wishes as you begin this journey.
Charis xx

good luck on whichever you and the surgeon chooses, the dietcian will help u choose to as she will go through all your eating habits etc..... good luck xx

Thanks guys for all your help, support and advice.
I too get the horrible acidy feeling, and sometimes when you get that horrible burning sick feeling at the back of your throat. Not all the time, sometimes not for a few weeks, then I'll get it for a few days. I always make sure I have a jar of Andrews in the cupboard - that usually sorts me out! lol xx

I used to have awful gastric reflux - it was horrendous. Since I've had the sleeve I've not had it once.

Good luck xx

I went into my first appointment saying that I wanted the bypass. They didn't bother showing me the alternatives so I'm guessing that means they agreed with me. I feel a bit swept along by it all tbh. I've had these appointments and pre op tests but don't really feel I've had as much opportunity to talk through the procedure as I'd like to, especially the post op diet. The nurse I've seen both times was great, but I think I have difficulty remembering what to ask him. Next time I'll take a list.

A great idea to keep a note pad and list of queries and questions... I always do that... good luck to you all and much love on your journey! xxx

Hope my gastric reflux goes when i have mine done - that will save NHS on one lot of pills lol.

Also Karen don't rule out the slieve! I know some hospitals offer this with the chance to convert to a bypass later on if you want too....

They will as MeJulie said ask you all about your eating habits, what kind of food you like, bulk or grazing (me i did both, bulk and graze). The best advice is to be honest...

Please don't take offence but i think when (like me) you're a little on the larger side they will think more of the bypass as the results are so much quicker and unlike the band it doesnt take as much willpower! I have zero willpower (i wouldn't have been almost 21 stone if i had some) so the bypass was it for me.

Good luck with your appointments, i look forward to hearing how you get along :) xx

How long did you wait from your first appointment to op Julie? x:confused:

Back