• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

First scary moment yesterday

I took my daughter yesterday to Nandos and to the cinema to see Harry Potter and had my first time of getting something seriously stuck :eek:

I ordered the pitta bread with chicken and fries as I thought the pitta would be ok as I manage wraps and tbh am sick of wraps now as thats all I seem to eat.

I started off with a tiny bit of the pitta - fine, then tiny bit of chicken - fine then another bit of pitta and then I felt a bit hicuppy and felt a pain in my chest which was steadily getting worse and worse and my mouth was filling up with liquid. I tried sipping a drink but that made no difference so headed off to the loo to make myself sick to see if that would shift it - sorry if tmi :sick0019:

I came back and nibbled on a tiny bit of chip and then chicken and the same thing happened again so off I trotted to the loo. This happened 3 times and I ended up leaving my meal as I just couldn't get anything down.

When we went to the cinema I did manage an ice cream - I was starving and I know that ice cream is a slider food but just wanted to make sure that I could get something down.

For tea we all had chinese and I tried some sweet and sour chicken making sure I chewed really well, tiny bites and left a minute between each mouthful. About 5 bites in the same think happened as at lunch so I that was another meal wasted!!!!

Taking easy today with soft foods - I had my second fill about 2 weeks ago and have eaten chicken and meat fine. On a good note I suppose it shows that I do have some kind of restriction. I will try again tomorrow and see how I get on.

wow that is a bit scary, i think i would panic if it happened to me, i guess it will when i have op done x

Chopster do you think you were anxious? I've heard that it can cause the band to tighten. I'm so scared of being sick (I'm 3 weeks post-op) it stops me from eating anything I'm not supposed to & believe me I'm DESPERATE to eat bread, ANY bread! I've not been to Nandos but maybe next time try something a bit 'wetter' like chicken in sauce or something? Have you been ok since? Hope it doesn't happen again.
xxxx sharon

Chopster do you think that the chicken was maybe too stringy so despite taking smaller bites and chewing it up finely it still acted like a barrier to stopping food from flowing down?

My dietican has advised us that we should chicken breast and just eat chicken thighs.

I hope you had further success with your food today.

I couldnt eat a pitta bread and I cant eat fries or chips. I dont eat meat but chicken can cause problems unless chewed to the max.

With a band you have to rethink your eating patterns and make some big changes - healthy choices. If you go again maybe try chicken with a salad? x

Oh dear Choptster I sympathise. My one and only time eating out I could not eat much - luckily I did not need to vomit but I think being out in a social setting and not something I used to do often anyway was too much for the band. Now I have restriction I cannot tolerate chicken which is a shame for me as it something I love.

With the band you do have to make changes to make it work successfully for you.

tranquil x

Last edited:
Hey Chopster had a very similar experience on wednesday. Went out for a meal and was sick four times so gave up eating that day and just had a jelly when I got home. I think once I have been sick I do start to panic and then thats it I cant keep anything down. Drinking any fluid on top always just makes things worse for me. When I went to Nandos I had the vegi wrap as was too scared to eat chicken in public. Only managed half the wrap and took the other half home.

It's definately confusing. They tell you to try and eat protein but sometimes you struggle with chicken. Makes you wonder what you can eat!

i wouldnt dream of eating anything like that in public through fear of that happening, if i eat out i stick with foods tht i know i can eat, pasta in sause or similar and stop eating as soon as i get the slightest sign of trouble. Its one of my biggest fears being sick in a public place.

Poor you, that has happened to me so many times. The worst was when I had to run behind a shop and vomit (whilst some people walked by!).
Chicken for me always gets stuck, even when I think I have chewed loads.
When I eat out now, I try and chew everything really really fine before I swallow, whilst trying to look normal! lol

is it like that after weeks of having the band or just the first couple of weeks? x
Umm it can happen anytime really. It all depends on how much you chew your food and what you are eating. Certain foods will trigger more often than others. The band is a tempermental thing!

i suppose it a good thing in a way, cause it will keep reminding u that u cant over eat and u have tot ake ur time x

nandos = scrum! have to have chicken salad though, do really well with letuce leaves for ome reason. chewing chips makes them BLEURGH! only one way to eat chips and thats to WOLF THEM DOWN! lolz

ice cream at the cinema....yep i still do that!!

Chopster, it's so scary isn't it? I must admit that I'm a little scared of eating in restaurants now so I usually go for a salad as I've found that I can tolerate lettuce with no problem, also since having the band I find I enjoy salads more than ever. xx

I hadn't had anything to eat all day as was shopping and was starving so I reckon I must have eaten the first mouthful or so too quickly. Not sure about my third fill now.

is it like that after weeks of having the band or just the first couple of weeks? x

It doesnt have to be this way at all. I have never been sick from food but I have had things stick (only since my last fill though).

I had my fills very gradually and was lucky that the slight gradual decrease in the volume of food was enough for me to get to a healthy BMI.

The problem with rushing to get 'restrcition' is that you havent learnt how to slow down properly and will tend to eat too fast - which is a no no with good restrcition. You may also not have got into the band eating mindset, protein, fruit or veg then carbs last and no drinking whilst eating etc.

It takes time but its worth it! :D

Yesterday, i had my first moment of taking to big a mouthful of fluids. Not thinking a took a big swig of coffee, swallowed, i felf it hitting the band and coming back up. I kept my mouth closed and then promptly showered my laptop with coffee as it sprayed from my nose. Luckily nobody was around me atthe time, i was at work but all i could smell for the next 2 hours was cuppacino!

Back