• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Fizzy Drinks

It because it causes trapped wind but it can also dislodge your band causing it to slip xx

ive been told it can cause the band to erode,personally i wouldnt take the risk xx

It WILL NOT cause your band to erode this is all a silly rumour! Something fizzy on the inside of your stomach cannot erode something on the outside of your stomach.... There are two main reasons they say no fizzy drinks and they are
1. It causes wind
2. It's full of calories....

just saying what id heard but i aint a doctor or nothing..i still wouldnt take the risk x

I have been to see my bariatric nurse today and asked the question, its because of trapped wind and if they don't effect you with this problem then there is no harm in drinking them
Its right the drinks cannot erode the band as the band is on the outside
Calories are nil if you drink low calorie drinks
Questions answered

THANKS!!!!

what if you've had a bypass though? just wondering as i miss fizzy pop so much :-(

I confess that I have had the odd fizzy drink since my bypass. However, when I do I make sure that it is a sugar free drink with no aspartame as I have major problems with that stuff and I make sure that I pour it out and leave it standing for quite a long time before I sip it very slowly. If you gulp it in any way you will soon realise why they advise you to avoid the fizz :eek:

It is rather a lot of hassle to get it just right for drinking - hence the reason for making this only a very occasional treat :)

I have read for bypass patients it can cause a build up of gas which can cause distension (I think that was the word lol) and cause the pouch to stretch.

Carbonated drinks aren't good for your pouch. Too much gas, will cause gas issues as well as bloating, plus if fizzy drinks and junk food was your "pattern", then the taste will trigger cravings for high fat, high carb foods, which you don't want to happen. Your pouch has openings at both ends so it's unlikely to cause stretching

Karlos said:
Carbonated drinks aren't good for your pouch. Too much gas, will cause gas issues as well as bloating, plus if fizzy drinks and junk food was your "pattern", then the taste will trigger cravings for high fat, high carb foods, which you don't want to happen. Your pouch has openings at both ends so it's unlikely to cause stretching

Not sure where I read it. But then there is so much incorrect info online, the source is irrelevant. Just l knowing its untrue is ok :)

For variety I drink totally flat NSA fizzy drinks and have had no adverse effects, but I make sure that they are totally flat. TIP to flatten leave a wooden spoon (the handle works best) in the soda and all the fizz disappears.

Back