• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Fizzy Drinks

clairebolts

I saw one of the nurses last week and she told me that i can not drink fizzy drinks for life, but i have seen on a few threads that some people do have the odd Diet Coke, Pepsi Max etc.
Does anyone drink fizzy drinks?

Hiya claire some people have taken the chance but i believe they have stired it until all the bubbles are out. Its the bubbles that can cause the problems.

I was told never so I don't :) I used to have a can o f diet coke a day at work but have water or no sugar squash now x

Fizz hurts don't have it..I was never a fizzy drink person anyway I do wonder what the attraction is of these drinks.

Can't have the fizz as it stretches the pouch, and it hurts big time.

I have the very occasional can as they seem easier to remove the fizz than bottles, but it's questionable if the effort to remove the fizz, up to 30 mins stirring, is actually worth it.

I mainly stick to NAS Squah now, much easier.

When my surgeon first told me that was IT re fizzy drinks (I was addicted to Schweppes Slimline Bitter Lemon) I was horrified, and was thinking of all kinds of ways to get around it. Our bariatric nurse at the support group told me that even leaving a fizzy drink standing around for 3 days doesn't get rid of all the fizz as tests have proven. So I just bit the bullet and gave it up cold turkey and surprisingly I don't miss it. For me, stretching my sleeve is the biggest scare of all, and I'd rather give up anything than have that happen.

I gave up from the day I asked my GP to refer me because I knew it was a no no I used to drink alot of diet coke now I just stick to NAS Juice or water and well I dont actually miss it thought I would big time but dont even think about it anymore.

The pre op diet allowed fizzy drinks, I decided best not get in the habit :)

Miss Tonic Water anyone know a remedy for "cramp" ?

You could also try increasing your protein. If you don't have enough you can get an increase in lactic acid in your muscles, which will give you cramps.

Hi. If you ever do indulge in alcohol, what can you drink? Is it limited to wine? Had my last ever Stella last night. Mmmmm

Not all providers say that fizzy drinks are not allowed. My own advises that they cannot be had during the first two weeks post op, but they aren't a "banned" food item at all - but then, they work on the philosophy that there are no "banned items" and that a lot of it boils down to individuals tolerance of the foods/drinks themselves. So to say that they are a complete no-no and that they cannot be had for life, isn't correct. But this is something down to your provider, what surgery you have and what they advise.

I used to drink litres of the stuff on a daily basis - I've had maybe 1 or 2 small glasses a month since my surgery, but I find that it doesnt quench my thirst and cos Im drinking 2-3 litres of water a day, I don't really feel like it, but I am, with my provider, allowed to drink it.

That's really interesting Kat as I have never heard from anyone that their provider hasn't banned fizzy drinks! I was told never and its really hard but pushing through as I'm too scared to stretch my amazing sleeve!

There is a huge sleeve group on the book of face. Some very knowledgeable people say that the sleeve can give, or relax, or we can try to over stuff it, but that it can't stretch as the stretchy part of the stomach had been removed, as long as the surgery was done correctly. They also say fizzy is ok! That no fizzy is a rny rule! Up to you to research and see which you believe!

I have had Diet Coke. I was fine but I believe it's different for everyone. I was a Diet Coke addict, drinking 15 cans a day. I had my surgery in September and didn't miss it at all. I am now starting to miss it so thought I would try it as my surgeon said it wasn't off-limits but my tastes may change meaning I may not like it anymore. I can't finish even half a can but I have it and it's fine. I don't let it go flat and I have had no pain. I do drink it very slowly but I am happy to not have it. It's no longer an addiction to me. :)
I was also told never to drink with straws or have chewing gum. I have drank out a straw with no problems and had my first bit of chewing gum last week with no bother at all.

My only problem is being able to keep food down! :/

Last edited:
Back