• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Food for thought?

Roccosmummy

Just having a think about food post bypass. I've not organised anything meal wise. I just assumed I'd send the fella shopping once I know what slop I'm feeling up to eating. I didn't want to have to think about food but suddenly realised I do actually need to eat something despite being bypassed! So I understand it's sloppy purée for a time and always very low sugar, low carb and high protein for life. I can purée slow cooked casseroles and make soups etc but until I'm up to cooking for the family I suppose some ready made soups etc will be a start. Any recommendations to get me off on the right track whilst recovering ? For my fat free Greek plain yog I have sugar free syrups to sweeten to taste but can I add say a teaspoon of ground almonds or coconut? What about dairylea triangles to nibble? Are sweet potatoes mashed with milk full of natural sugars? Is puréed fruit off the menu due to the sugars? Can I add red or white wine to the slow cooker or is this too sugary? What about the use of balsamic vinegar. Full of sugar? Clearly I'm terrified of dumping. It's happened a few times with the band so I'm probably sensitive to sugar anyways! So food ideas welcome ;-)

I was on clear fluids for 4 weeks, its best to see what diet sheets your provider gives you as its so variable xx

As every provider advises differently we was told by dr ammori we have to have clear soups/jelly/thin yogurt(no bits) things like this for the first 4 weeks.
So I bought in every flavour of ox drinks...ham/veg/beef/chicken and got little jelly pots,and bought in marvel to add to coffee(as used to up protein).
It's depends how long you have to stay on each stage,as to know what foods to buy in.

As every provider advises differently we was told by dr ammori we have to have clear soups/jelly/thin yogurt(no bits) things like this for the first 4 weeks. So I bought in every flavour of ox drinks...ham/veg/beef/chicken and got little jelly pots,and bought in marvel to add to coffee(as used to up protein). It's depends how long you have to stay on each stage,as to know what foods to buy in.

I've no info about post diet so I suppose I will find out on op day!
Back to plan A ( no need to organise food)
Simples :)

I was straight on purées me mam bless her has filled loads of little pots of puréed chicken dinner, beef broth, kippers mash and tomatoe, puréed veg and stewed apple and pear, my freezer is chockablock , I also bought fat free yoghurts custard and rice puddings, been nibbling on laughing cow triangles and adding light Philadelphia to tinned tomatoe soup- hope this helps :)

I've no info about post diet so I suppose I will find out on op day!
Back to plan A ( no need to organise food)
Simples :)

Noooo...lol
Get organised you'll feel better for it,you'll stress less when your op date comes.
I've 2,young children and its hard enough afterwards.
Do you have a hand blender?

Noooo...lol Get organised you'll feel better for it,you'll stress less when your op date comes. I've 2,young children and its hard enough afterwards. Do you have a hand blender?

Op is Tuesday early morn. I've a food processor, blender and an industrial juicer! Should be covered !!!
Also a 10 month old monster that's now walking :-/ I've a few small pots of homemade mashed meals for him so I can share these and make a batch up tomoz. Oh crikey I'm not prepared at all :-(

Go to your £1 shop and get loads of little tubs, I've even frozen different puréed veggies into ice cube trays, I sat in the hospital and done my shopping online at tesco as you can check all the nutrition of the items your ordering :)

I'm glad in a way I didn't prepare meals as things I enjoyed pre-op ie mash - I now cant stomach it at all, same with tuna also baked beans :(

Op is Tuesday early morn. I've a food processor, blender and an industrial juicer! Should be covered !!!
Also a 10 month old monster that's now walking :-/ I've a few small pots of homemade mashed meals for him so I can share these and make a batch up tomoz. Oh crikey I'm not prepared at all :-(

Right...
Get yourself some oxo/stock cubes diff flavours or any clear soups.
Marvel milk powder or protein powder(marvel is cheap and our dietician tells us this is excellent to provide us with the nessecary protein to heal)
You can add the marvel to coffee/yogurts.,
Get yourself a silly cup/sports bottle to sip(I really needed this)
Even if you got no post op sheet yet,most providers will have u on clear fluids at the start.
As any food with bits can cause problems while u heal.
You got electrical equip so your ok,and your toddler plates for sizing foods when your ready for purée/solids.
Hope this helps,bit hard to remember as I had mine done 3 1/2 yrs almost now..lol

Go to your £1 shop and get loads of little tubs, I've even frozen different puréed veggies into ice cube trays, I sat in the hospital and done my shopping online at tesco as you can check all the nutrition of the items your ordering :)
Great idea re online shop!
My freezer has a few baby pots and ice trays of mush already. I'll just add to this collection.

More jelly crystals might be handy and a tub of marvel. Perhaps a soup maker!?!

I'm glad in a way I didn't prepare meals as things I enjoyed pre-op ie mash - I now cant stomach it at all, same with tuna also baked beans :(
It's funny how tastes change I've gone coffee altogether and previously never had a sweet tooth now I'm fancying sweet stuff all the time :)

It's funny how tastes change I've gone coffee altogether and previously never had a sweet tooth now I'm fancying sweet stuff all the time :)

I couldn't stand coffee and tea in the first year,the smell made me sick..I'm ok now though I drink too much coffee.

My tastes have really changed pre-op I was a real tea belly drinking 10-12 huge (3/4 of a pint) mugs of tea, post op I can't face tea, I also used to drink lots of water too now the only thing I can drink is diluted apple juice or NAS grapefruit squash.

Pre-op I hated eggs now I have about 4 a week!!:rolleyes:

My tastes have really changed pre-op I was a real tea belly drinking 10-12 huge (3/4 of a pint) mugs of tea, post op I can't face tea, I also used to drink lots of water too now the only thing I can drink is diluted apple juice or NAS grapefruit squash. Pre-op I hated eggs now I have about 4 a week!!:rolleyes:

I think our bodies generally crave what we need. Particularly when immunity is low or we're lacking in something.
Eggs are the best invention ever!

I think our bodies generally crave what we need. Particularly when immunity is low or we're lacking in something. Eggs are the best invention ever!
I'm really craving strawberrys when can you start eating them surely they are soft enough but have seeds so don't know

I'm really craving strawberrys when can you start eating them surely they are soft enough but have seeds so don't know
Yummy. I'm desperate for fruit. I just looked up strawberries are 4.9g sugar per 100g
Can't see why you can't mush some up with a little Greek yog. Ignore the tiny seeds!

Back